Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why We Should Check Our Tires

and check, and check, and check again.

I had the coach sitting in the driveway when I had the slideout not working problem. You did read that, didn't you? Well, we were scheduled to pull it out of the driveway on Sunday -for whatever reason, and I got the gauge and checked the air pressure.

On the street side rear dual, it was flat. I could see where the tire had broken away from the rim, so I was unable to put air in it. Here it is Sunday. So I called Progressive Road Service, and they said they would have someone there within 45 minutes. They called back several times to see if the tire service had arrived. No fault of Progressive, but the service arrived about 1-1/2 hours after they were called.

Fortunately there was no damage to the tire, it was just a slow leak from a bad valve extender. It wasn't the stem that leaked, but the metal housing attaching it to the braid. I asked the tire guys to remove the extension and I'd just go with the original valve. So far, so good.

So, it is very important to check tire pressure before you hit the road for any reason, even to just drive it a few miles to storage or fuel. I'm going to be more diligent until I install my already purchased TST monitors. I'm just waiting for the opportune time when a-round-tuit is near by.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm going to be more diligent until I install my already purchased TST monitors. I'm just waiting for the opportune time when a-round-tuit is near by.
A lot can be said for a TPMS and TST as a product. That said, a pilot still needs to do a walk around and you did a great job in doing so and catching the flat before you set off.

Get those TSTs installed Gunny!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I often do a pressure check the day before a planned departure just in case there is a problem I need to deal with. I don't normally repeat it the morning of, but I do see there is a chance a problem could develop overnight.

I bought a TST system last March ...after 8 months of use over 6k miles or so, I returned it for refund. You can see my setup, and read about my experience on my website at http://www.pjrider.com/TireCodes.htm ...scroll down toward the bottom of that page. TST was great with customer service, but the system didn't work out for me. They told me they have a return rate of apx 1%, so I guess I am a rare and special person!! I haven't decided whether or not I want to try another system ...I know what the DW's vote would be!! I sincerely hope your new system works well.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=AFChap;613719]I often do a pressure check the day before a planned departure just in case there is a problem I need to deal with. I don't normally repeat it the morning of, but I do see there is a chance a problem could develop overnight.

here is a pretty neat pressure gauge/inflator.
http://www.tire-pressure-gauge.com/i...&products_id=3
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #5

I totally agree with the manual tire pressure check before ever moving the RV any distance. Even if I had TST or any other brand pressure system I would check. I have never had a problem, knock on wood, but I still believe in doing the check.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
and check, and check, and check again.

I had the coach sitting in the driveway......

On the street side rear dual, it was flat. ......

Fortunately there was no damage to the tire.....

So, it is very important to check tire pressure before you hit the road for any reason, even to just drive it a few miles to storage or fuel. I'm going to be more diligent until I install my already purchased TST monitors. I'm just waiting for the opportune time when a-round-tuit is near by.

Good info. One question. You say the tire was not damaged. How do you know the leak started after you parked in the driveway? Personally I would bet that the leak started sometime back while you were driving. If so how many miles did you drive, at what speed, with what load and with how much air in the tire? Without having the facts there is essentially no way to know how much internal structural damage was done to the tire that lost aire or not. ALSO when one tire in a dual application looses it's air the other tire goes into overload condition which in turn can result iin structural damage to it. There are documented cases of the non punctured tire failing hours to weeks after it's mate was re-inflated.
Check the pictures of the dual application using the link in my signature.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe one more reason to go with "Dually Valves". (No extensions required).

and yes...... they work with TST TMS.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tireman9,
Thanks for the valuable information. I have a schedule tomorrow to have them inspected at A&A Tire in Kerrville.

BDaball,
I like those Dually Valves. I'm going to look into it some more. Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always check pressures before I move, even if it is sitting overnight. Better safe than sorry. I have ordered TPS and waiting for them.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Wayne, what would worry me was if the motor home was driven any distance or on the highway with that tire being low. If so you may have damaged the tire casing and may have belt separation in the near future. I would highly recommend retracing your steps and thinking when you had checked it before you found it flat and how far you had driven it in between the two pressure checks. It is on the back and not on the steering axle which is good but a tire can do a lot of damage when the belt separates.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
It wasn't the stem that leaked, but the metal housing attaching it to the braid. I asked the tire guys to remove the extension and I'd just go with the original valve. So far, so good.
Yep, been there & done that. Both my rear inner braided extensions leaked like crazy, the left side would go flat in a few days and the right side would go flat overnight. What a pain. So I removed them, bought/installed the HawksHead TPMS and haven't had to add air since. It's been several months. Strangely, the outer braided extentions have not leaked at all, I still have them on. Angle of the dangle or sumpin'.

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have solid metal extensions on the inner duals, and alligator caps on all stems including the toad. All stems face outward. It is very easy to check pressures in a simple walk around. When I bought the coach we have a leaking/cracked extension. It was replaced with an extension that was also cracked. Since then, 2003, we have not had a problem with the extensions.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVee'r View Post
Yep, been there & done that.........bought/installed the HawksHead TPMS and haven't had to add air since. It's been several months. .........
Bob
Bob, I'm not familear with Hawkshead but am wondering about the accuracy of their reading. Given that all tires leak from 1.5% to 3.5% inflation each month, you would have had to over-inflate your tires quite a bit to still be above the minimum inflation needed to carry the load based on actual tire loading.
TPMS are not a substitute for checking and adding the needed air each month. What they do is warn you of unexpected rapid (faster than 5% a month) air leakage.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I installed the Doran 360 over a year ago and have been very happy with it but I still kept my thumper and occasionally give each tire a rap. I understand the logic of checking tires manually and using the TPMS only for a warning system... but practically speaking it's a real bear to do. I need to go with the dually extenders and replace the valves on my fronts to make the sensors easier to remove for manual checking.

I really can't see how it's true that ALL tires loose between 1.5 and 3% of their pressure every month based on the experience with my coach. For the past 18 months I've only had to add air to one tire. If I had lost 2%/month I would have lost nearly 40lbs of air from each tire and that just hasn't happened.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote