Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Why we still have a sticks and bricks

I was originally going to post this on the "reasons for going full time" thread but I was not sure it fit. We have discussed selling everything and going full time but now I am not so sure.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but this week brought to mind why, even though we travel up to 9 months a year we still kept the sticks and bricks. DW had an angiogram on Thursday and the prognosis is not good. We had planned on leaving March 6th for probably a 3 or 4 month trip. Instead we will be at home while the DW recovers from open heart surgery. Six years ago I was recovering from a broken pelvis and could not get up the steps into the motorhome. Also I was in the process of setting up for knee replacement on our return. Not sure how the FT people deal with setbacks like this. I can see where not having the responsibilities and /or expenses of a sticks and bricks is nice but what to do when the body fails?

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to hear of DWs condition and those in your past. Clearly this is not the time for you to throw everything overboard and go full time or shed the S&B.

My answer to your question is - we will cross bridges when we come to them. We don't know where we want to live when we retire next year but it's not here. So - we're going to look, and look and look. If something happens along the way we'll get a storage site for the motorhome like we have now. We'll find a little apartment and pick up whatever we need to get us past the bump in the road. Sell or give away the stuff and head out again when the dust settles.

If the bump proves to be the beginning of the end of the road, hopefully we will know where we want to settle in for the big sleep. We'll head there. We need less and less in the way of home and trappings and in the end won't need anything but a pine box or urn.

Not going to let any worries get in the way. The end comes for us all. We know not when or where. We plan to make it hunt for us. We won't sit in the same place or be anchored so it can easily find us - not as long as we can motor on another day. We've given the what if list a thorough thrashing. The fact that we won't live forever and are mortal is why we are going as soon as we can.

We have added you to our "list" and will be thinking of you. All the best.
Steve and Annie

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
I was originally going to post this on the "reasons for going full time" thread but I was not sure it fit. We have discussed selling everything and going full time but now I am not so sure.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but this week brought to mind why, even though we travel up to 9 months a year we still kept the sticks and bricks. DW had an angiogram on Thursday and the prognosis is not good. We had planned on leaving March 6th for probably a 3 or 4 month trip. Instead we will be at home while the DW recovers from open heart surgery. Six years ago I was recovering from a broken pelvis and could not get up the steps into the motorhome. Also I was in the process of setting up for knee replacement on our return. Not sure how the FT people deal with setbacks like this. I can see where not having the responsibilities and /or expenses of a sticks and bricks is nice but what to do when the body fails?
My very best wishes to you and to your wife for a full and speedy recovery! As for the house...we will never sell ours. Our motorhome is a vacation luxury only. I love to travel, but I LOVE coming home to my home and my garden. Full timing is definitely NOT for everyone.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Best wishes to you and your wife.

I had planned to continue fulltiming indefinitely, but my health deteriorated and made fulltiming too difficult and impractical.

I had no exit plan, but a chance conversation with a friend got me into an almost new townhouse he owned at about half the going rental rate.

Once in the townhouse, I was able to sell the MH and then had a nice down payment on a nice ranch house. (no steps).

Everyone's situation is different, but if you look hard enough, you will find a solution to your needs.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post

Thank you thank you thank you my point exactly I've thought the samething when my wife got cancer, know 5 years out cured. I got bashed for making a statement like that.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You all bring up some good points that everyone planning on full timing should consider. Flagship one, we follow in your thoughts also. Well stated. As for my observations, I have seen one couple build a ramp into their tt when the steps became an obsticle. This would be cause to stay in that location for a while, but if your health requires it you most likely wouldn't be going anywhere for the time being any ways.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At a CG this past year or so I saw a MH with a lift at the side entry door. The lady of the coach could not navigate the steps. The wheel chair was to wide to get through the door so they had two. One stayed inside the coach and the other was use just for the lift and shopping. It was a well thought out arrangement.

I like having a place to come back to, if nothing more I can put the coach in the shop and still have a place to stay. Just more convenient. Besides, what in the world would I do with 50+ married years of junk collection? I know - minimize - but I like my stuff. I like my toys!

I think those that full time are a special group of people and if it is for you then go for it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Our best wishes for you and your wife. Hope for a speedy recovery.
We hope to full time within two years, but seriously doubt we will sell our SC home. The NYC home will definitely be sold but right now our mindset is to be out for up to 9 months then have a home to go back to where our kids and grand kids can gather during the summer months and enjoy the lake and everything it has to offer.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Considering Thom's job has him all over the US and/or Canada about 90% to 95% of the time and when we did try to have family and/or friends take care of the house, well let's just say it was not nice and family was worse, we just threw everything in storage and got rid of the house. Well almost all went into storage house ended up getting broke into and about $70k to $80k worth of tools and other stuff got taken and they tried to pull wires and well it was a mess. Now almost a year later we are making plans to go back and clean out the storage.
House is gone and we say good riddance but that's us, everyone's situation is way different and it is not up to me to tell you that you are doing good or bad.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Our prayers too are for a quick and complete recovery, and that you will soon return to your planned trips.

At some point, the sticks and bricks is a good fall back option. We are fortunate, our next door neighbor is a good friend and long time shipmate. Also have DD in the area. So we are comfortable in our travels. On the other hand we have not been inclined to FT, like having a base to work out of.

Best to You both and keep posting..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eleven years ago we sold our house but did put everything in storage.

While full timing and living in the motor home I have recovered from back surgery and a hip replacement. Two days after the hip replacement getting in and out of the motor home was actually less painful than before.
Right now I am recovering from rotator cuff surgery.
So, many things can be dealt with while living in an RV.

On the other hand, last December our friend fell off his motor home ladder and shattered both heel bones. He was parked in the site next door and for several months he and his wife required our help in getting him in and out of the motor home and transporting him to surgery and a lot of doctors appointments ( a 160 mile round trip to Lake Havasu City).

A guy that had a ramp on his seasonal TT wasn't using his TT that year and let us borrow the ramp, so we able to get him in and out of the motor home using a folding transport chair. A regular wheel chair was too wide to fit in the motor home.
He could not walk at all and could not get into his jeep. Using a board from his transport chair to my Honda we able to load him into it.

Medicare health services did come out and provide in home therapy visits.

That was a wake up call for us and last summer we bought a house to use as a home base in CO. We are not ready to get off the road yet but have had all of our stored stuff moved out from NH.

We decided that finding, buying a house and getting everything moved and unloaded in the house was not something we wanted to face if one of us was in a bad way.

So if something unforeseen happens we now have an alternative.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Every person’s situation is different.

Since full timing, I have had two major operations that dealt with my mobility. One doctor asked, after my refusal to use a wheel chair or crutches: "Well how about going to the bathroom? How far is it from your bed?"

I could honesty answer: "About two and 1/2 feet, and it has one grab handle between here and there."

As a matter of fact the 20 foot or more trip to the bathroom in the hospital was a major problem. Call a nurse, wait for her to arrive, unhook IV line, get walker, etc. Then reverse the entire procedure to get back in bed.

For limited mobility, and my specific situation, the “closeness” of a camper was actually an advantage.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #13

I don't believe in....(1) selling an appreciating and/or revenue generating asset to purchase a depreciating asset......(2) selling any asset (real estate) when the values are historically low.....(3) loosing the asset diversification of real estate just because we are travelling. If you plan to travel for an extended period of time (greater than 12mo.) rent the house & have the income cover taxes, insurance, repairs, upkeep, property management, etc. In our case rental income (after expenses) is significantly cash positive & the capital gains is tax free.....why sell?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack. I agreed with you most of my life and still do for the most part. But, once it was determined we did not want to retire here - my thought process changed a little. Moved here many years ago as my family lived here. Went to college here. Worked here for the same company the past 26 years this August. Now there is no family here, there will be no job here soon, and it's just not where we want to be.

We saved to buy the depreciating asset. By making our decision over 5 years ago we avoided number two on your list. We are diversified in our 401k and have other investments and cash on hand. Just not an anchor at this time. We may have an S&B again or we may get lucky and go straight from the road to a retirement community that offers assisted and unassisted living. May fall over dead into the campfire first (my preference as it's quick and both of us have elected cremation anyway.)

There are a couple other rules too. Never not sell because things can't go lower. They can. Never not sell to simply forego paying taxes. You will pay them eventually. And a philosophy that I did not catch on to soon enough - if you expect tax rates to rise, and who doesn't, sell and take the hit now and make tax exempt investments, annuities etc.

Lots of moving parts and no one way is right for everyone, but I will say - debt free is good. As we thought about this - we considered - what if we finally ran into CampDaven or Sky_Boss in Yellowstone - and they said - Hey we're headed down to Baja. Want to tag along. How would we feel if we had to say, nah gotta go back to the S&B. Haven't been there in 3 months - or the renter trashed the place and we gotta go to court. And - remember - it's a place we don't want to live.

We've just considered the end game - and adjusted the sequence a little. Our problem now is trying to find the right place and what we want. Cabin in the mountains with a owned beach pad in Florida or Texas. Beach hut with an owned pad in the mountains? Either way - what we need in a S&B will never again be a 4/3/2 with a pool.

Back to the garage - a little more to do today. Have a great afternoon.
Steve and Annie

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote