Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

wife allergic to bleach

My DW is allergic to bleach, chlorox or anything else that has ammonia/ bleach in it. She reacts almost immediately. What are the alternatives for cleaning fresh water tank, hot water heater, etc.? Help! Thanks!!
khamsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I is it the fumes? I have asthma and both ammonia and chlorine will cause a problem, You by the way NEVER want to have both together, it is deadly. I use Dichlor crystals, a granular form of chlorine for sanitizing available at a pool supply place, no fumes and less expensive than chlorine, run it through the system and then flush the tank. I also have a full face respirator/gas mask that will take everything out for times I have to be exposed.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Using the search feature for "sanitize fresh water tank" yields 165 threads offering suggestions. I'm sure you'll find some good alternatives there. http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4383148

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
You can use food grade hydrogen peroxide.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #5

If you send her away during the sanitizing process, when she returns the bleach odor/taste should be gone, if you are rinsing correctly. Unless she cannot be around chlorinated water, when you are done, that is all you will have left.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm a former Health Inspector, and I've never heard of using ammonia for sanitizing freshwater systems!

Per bleach, though:

Unless you're overdoing it in dosage or underdoing it in rinsing, there should be no bleach residue left over once sanitizing is complete.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

Just mix a half cup of white vinegar in you fresh water tank after bleaching it and all chlorine residue and smell is gone.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Chlorine will rinse out completely if you don't skimp on flushing the system. Flush it all twice if you're concerned. It is a bit time-consuming if you have to drain a 100 gallon freshwater tank...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I'm a former Health Inspector, and I've never heard of using ammonia for sanitizing freshwater systems!

Per bleach, though:

Unless you're overdoing it in dosage or underdoing it in rinsing, there should be no bleach residue left over once sanitizing is complete.
I meant to say that she is also allergic and reacts to ammonia-- not clean with it. Sorry I wasn't clear.
khamsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamsher View Post
My DW is allergic to bleach, chlorox or anything else that has ammonia/ bleach in it. She reacts almost immediately. What are the alternatives for cleaning fresh water tank, hot water heater, etc.? Help! Thanks!!
i have used vinegar to clean my water tank, 6 gallons for 80 gallons capacity. soak 4 hrs. rinse several times.

you can deodorize water tanks with baking soda.

Arm & Hammer Multi-Brand - Deodorizing Camper Water Tanks
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Like Shadowcatche, I use Sodium Dichlor chlorinating crystals intended for use in spa/hot tub. I prefer them to bleach because they are dry & store easier, concentrated so in a compact size container, and no added salts so no after-taste/requires minimal flushing of the system after use.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote