Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
Originally Posted by JGTexas View Post
I just bought a Jefa Tech Wifi Antenna. I plan to set it up on a tripod, and run the RG6 cable through a window to the repeater. I spoke to a tech at Jeta Tech, and he told me I could deploy a slide out half way and route the cable through a "gap" and then complete extending the slide out. Any opinions on this method?
We have the antenna "mount" hardware on our ladder. Usually only takes a minute or so to attach or take off the antenna. We then run the cable through a window in our rear slide to our office.

Can't see any advantage to feeding the cable through the slide? Looked into mounting the antenna on the TV mast (great idea) but the cost and risk of drilling another hole in the roof and finding a routing for the cable just seemed like too much trouble vrs the simple "through the window" method.

Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #30
I've been testing the Timrek LR2000WA1. It's an external USB Wifi-antenna on a collapsible stand. I just throw the USB cable through my window and then slide it as-good-as-closed; it actually locks.

sviveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #31
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by sviveen View Post
I've been testing the Timrek LR2000WA1. It's an external USB Wifi-antenna on a collapsible stand. I just throw the USB cable through my window and then slide it as-good-as-closed; it actually locks.
Please let us know how it works out. If you are ever parked next to someone with a Jefa, it would be nice to compare the two. Is it waterproof?
I see it is about $160 on e-bay.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #32
Yes it would be interesting to compare it to a Jefa. Based on the specs, the Timrek is much more powerful (56dbi) than the Jefa panel antenna (13dbi).

It is weatherproof, though the panel has a small USB connector at the bottom for the cable, so I don't think it's meant to be left outdoors year-round.

What I like best on the Timrek, is that it is a full set with an adjustable stand (goes all the way up to 8 foot), so no more messing with tent poles to make your own pole. I'll be traveling again in about a month, and will give it a more extensive try for sure. Last summer I was at a campground south of Seattle, and when I asked for Wifi at the front desk, I was told that their signal was pretty weak (well, isn't that the case at almost every campground??). So most peeps were bringing their laptops to the picknick benches in front of the office, where their transmitter was. I was assigned to a site as far away from that office as it gets, and my laptop didn't pick up any signal whatsoever inside my travel trailer (most likely because of the aluminum exterior). So I put the antenna outside, aim it to the office, and was actually doing Skype conference calls from inside the trailer!
sviveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
National RV Owners Club
OP- I did not use the slide opening since it was not near enough to where my laptop would be. I used the batwing to mount this antenna POWERLINK Ultra Long Distance Indoor and Outdoor WLAN Wireless 11N USB Adapter, 1W High Power 28dBm w/Hi-Gain 12dBi Patch/Panel Antenna Improving 12X Signal Reception and Distance and 6xSpeed. Very cost effective at $45.

I then did not want a hole in the roof so I plastic ty-ied the USB cable to part of the awning bracket and used several globs of connector weather proof goo (black and pliable) to secure it on the side of the MH. Then tied it again at the bottom awning bracket and into the front storage bay. Because the wire is behind the awning support, you don't notice it. The bay door will open and close easily with the rubber seal on the door and does not crimp the USB cable. Then I drilled a hole thru the floor into the storage bay where I pulled the USB cable up into the MH next to my laptop desk and power outlet. This wifi antenna works great but is directional and I can easily rotate it with the TV batwing it is connected to. It sits about 13-14' high when the batwing is up. Also, because the cable is a USB connection, I do not lose signal strength as I would with just an antenna and cable to my laptop. The network adapter is in the antenna housing on the roof.

I can easily remove or replace this setup with almost no affect on the MH. You would not know it had been there. In case I change rigs and want to take it with me.

John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote