Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #1

Wifi Antenna Cable

I just bought a Jefa Tech Wifi Antenna. I plan to set it up on a tripod, and run the RG6 cable through a window to the repeater. I spoke to a tech at Jeta Tech, and he told me I could deploy a slide out half way and route the cable through a "gap" and then complete extending the slide out. Any opinions on this method?
JGTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTexas View Post
I just bought a Jefa Tech Wifi Antenna. I plan to set it up on a tripod, and run the RG6 cable through a window to the repeater. I spoke to a tech at Jeta Tech, and he told me I could deploy a slide out half way and route the cable through a "gap" and then complete extending the slide out. Any opinions on this method?
Don't know what JefaTech antenna you are referring to, but the fiberglass vertical antennas are 50 Ohm, not 75 (RG-6)

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thats the way I run my cable. Hasn't caused any problems with the seal or the cable.

How tall is your tripod? The antenna needs line of sight. I have mine on my rear ladder at the top.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #4

You're right Jeff. It's in the category of RG8X.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Thats the way I run my cable. Hasn't caused any problems with the seal or the cable.

How tall is your tripod? The antenna needs line of sight. I have mine on my rear ladder at the top.
The tripod mast will telescope to 13'. The antenna itself is 2feet. I'm hoping that will do the trick. And I'm glad to know that the slide cable routing thing is doable.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JGTexas: I getting set to order the Jefa---just curious why you decided to get the smaller less powerful antenna, if your telescoping tripod is 13 feet?

Incidently I am not well versed in this stuff I just read a lot about the Jefa and it comes highly reccomended. That is the end of my knowledge (never stopped me before).

As for my intended installation I am just punching the cable through the roof to a cabinet directly below--- permanent.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done it that way for other cables on my motor home, Works but I've also damaged a few cords that way too (Usually by not properly removing them when getting ready to move)

Some things depend on your coach.. on my coach, both sides there are fairly large holes in the floor that go down into one pass-through basement compartment.. The "WET" one (the one with the water and waste tanks) I have routed a cable or three that way... For example power to my aux tank heaters (A string of christmas tree lights) runs down through the hole where the tank filler (Gravety flll) tube and vent tube go. This is right below a power outlet (Washer) that I do not use in the motor home so it was an ideal path.

Power for an aux space heater (When I'm on a 30 amp site (or even a 50) this plugs into the 20 amp outlet) comes in via the access door for the fill and dump and up through the hole where the water lines run for the main and half bath. Then out via a notch I cut into the riser under the toilet.

Very easy routing and both are not bothered by putting slides in or out.

But before I ran the 2nd of these ... I did the slide out bit as described.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

Many people have mounted the JefaTech antenna horizontally on one leg of their Wineguard antenna. Then when the Wineguard is raised the jefaTech becomes vertical and will be about 15 feet high. On mine I routed the cable to a nearby air horn and pushed it down into the coach. It worked wonderfully untill a lightning strike.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 02-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
JGTexas: I getting set to order the Jefa---just curious why you decided to get the smaller less powerful antenna, if your telescoping tripod is 13 feet?

Incidently I am not well versed in this stuff I just read a lot about the Jefa and it comes highly reccomended. That is the end of my knowledge (never stopped me before).

As for my intended installation I am just punching the cable through the roof to a cabinet directly below--- permanent.
I decided to go with the smaller antenna because of portability and ease of set-up. And maybe someday, if the system works ok, I might decide a more permanent mount on one of the roof antennas, and I think the smaller one would put less stress on whatever it might be mounted to.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
JefaTech

This is first I've heard of this? Is it a good buy?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.brown View Post
This is first I've heard of this? Is it a good buy?

There is a thread on this set up--I cannot remember the posters name. But whether or not it is a good buy is a bit relative. I deduced from reading that this thing works and works well and has good customer support. As I recall the smaller antenna with the receiver is around $130 and a longer antenna is $219.

There are many set up less expensive----the question is how well do they work.

Jefa seems to be a sure thing from what I read.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Crane SuperUSB wifi instead of the Jefatech. It encapsulates the wifi receiver in the antenna module, so only a USB cable has to run to the inside. A USB cable is smaller and more supple than most antenna cables, and it fits in the slide-out gap easily. I fit mine in the lower corner where the side and bottom seals meet.

Super USB Power WiFi Antenna 3 - RV WiFi Antenna
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #13

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTexas View Post
I decided to go with the smaller antenna because of portability and ease of set-up. And maybe someday, if the system works ok, I might decide a more permanent mount on one of the roof antennas, and I think the smaller one would put less stress on whatever it might be mounted to.
I went with the 2 foot antenna also ,mounted to the tv mast . I ordered a 5 foot antenna from Amazon.com .I tie strapped it temporally to the mast to check on the signal difference...like they say, bigger is better . it is about 20 ft at the top of the antenna. The weight of the setup is not an issue ,just make sure you're not under trees or other hanging items.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #14

The coax is LM-240 IIRC. Really good stuff, and Jefa will cut and terminate to any length you need.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote