Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

Will a surge protector help ??

Little background info- on vacation in Savannah Ga. Wife and I went back to coach ('08 Newmar) all power was off and filled with smoke. The host came out and there was power at the post but none from transfer switch. Bottom line there had been lighting an hour before within 100 feet of our coach. My question is had I had a surge protector, would it had protected my coach? Some say it is only good for when your power source fluctuates , not for electric storms.
My coach is in Richmond Hill at Newmar service , all 110 volt inop, backup camera inop, dash panel lights-tach,speedo- gauges stay on .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #2

Well, the lightning bolt traveled a few thousand feet from the air to the ground.

The gap in the surge protector points is about a quarter inch.

Even the highly praised, Progressive Industries, surge protector doesn't mention protecting against lightning.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E View Post
Little background info- on vacation in Savannah Ga. Wife and I went back to coach ('08 Newmar) all power was off and filled with smoke. The host came out and there was power at the post but none from transfer switch. Bottom line there had been lighting an hour before within 100 feet of our coach. My question is had I had a surge protector, would it had protected my coach? Some say it is only good for when your power source fluctuates , not for electric storms.
My coach is in Richmond Hill at Newmar service , all 110 volt inop, backup camera inop, dash panel lights-tach,speedo- gauges stay on .

Surge/spike protection are intended to protect against power issues coming in from the power company. If lightening strikes causes a power company issue which comes down the line to you then an EMS or a Surge/spike device is likely to help you. A direct or close lightening strike can over whelm any consumer level devise. Then insurance is your best friend.

Were any other coaches affected?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #4

Thanks TB and SO , that's what I thought. And yes Progressive was contacted that evening. The positive side is, we'll be checking out sights and sounds of Savannah for next week or so.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #5

My opinion: the lightening strike most likely caused a surge in them coming power line. A good sure protector like,the Progressive may have helped, either to prevent the damage or lesson the severity.
A strong enough surge in the line may cause the surge protector to be sacrificed in order to protect the rest of the electrical system. Is all that was damage was the tx switch thine it's a wash.
There is no such thing as a sure thing; you only try and tip the odds in your favor.
Get a Progressive industries and tip those odds.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing can protect from a direct or nearby lightening strike... Just way, way too much power to disapate. Sorry to hear of your problem. Hope the damage is not too extensive.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #7

Ouch, also inspect the cable lines and look for burns, it can come in that way too and take out the TV's and cable boxes. Just smell around the TV and cable boxes for burnt plastic.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #8

Trx , we definitely have a burn smell .
There was no cable but did have antenna out and dish antenna was in use. It wouldn't surprise me if dish and or tv's were taken out.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Trx , we definitely have a burn smell .
There was no cable but did have antenna out and dish antenna was in use. It wouldn't surprise me if dish and or tv's were taken out.
I would check up on the roof for possible lightning micro strike, if the main bolt was that close to you. If you had your leveling legs down that means you were grounded. I would keep that insurance case open for 6 months, have seen appliances get hit, live, then die 6 months later.

Is that a new tip? Right before a thunderstorm, pull your legs up and get back on rubber.. hmm. Or the case for rubber pads under the legs.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies.
Trx- what if I had wooden blocks under my leveling legs? Would that be enough insulation from grounding? My leveling legs were on bare ground .
Old 08-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.
Trx- what if I had wooden blocks under my leveling legs? Would that be enough insulation from grounding? My leveling legs were on bare ground .

If a direct or even indirect lightening strike, there is little you can do. If it was far enough away that the ground under the coach was energized then any insulator under the steel pads may help.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #12

Rubber and or wood under the jacks isn't going to help.

The power cord is grounded thru both the ground and neutral wire, back at the source.

Lightning is unpredictable. If it's going to get you, it will !!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a strike several years ago with a TRC Surgegard installed. It hit the main catv box for the park and went through ground to electrical system. Some shore power boxes totally blew apart. Many coaches were damaged. We had a tv w/ minor damage, radio blown, gfci outlet ruined, printer power supply blown, inverter & ats burned out, & apx 1" melted off one leg on the mh end of the 50a shore power cord. We were connected to the park catv & had burn marks on the coax connector threads. It also destroyed the TRC Surgegard, which they replaced at no charge. Not counting the surge guard, we had apx $3k damage, much less than some around us. I assumed at the time that the surge guard may have kept us from more severe damage, but of course no way to really know.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the Progressive Industries EMS series protectors for any RV. It may not stop damage from a lightning strike but it will most likely reduce the amount of damage!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote