Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

window leaking

I have a 1990 Pace Arrow two 1/2 years ago took the whole window out put putty tape back around it and seal it three days ago found my paneling pull away from the window and say Hum something going on here. So up comes the couch off comes the paneling out comes the sto-forum and yes water has leaking again replaced all the metal put some wood for some suport started putting the paneling back and stro-form and it starting raining and the damn window is pouring water in, I put a trap over it and here I m I don't know what to do? Any Ideas out there Im listening?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
I have a 1990 Pace Arrow two 1/2 years ago took the whole window out put putty tape back around it and seal it three days ago found my paneling pull away from the window and say Hum something going on here. So up comes the couch off comes the paneling out comes the sto-forum and yes water has leaking again replaced all the metal put some wood for some suport started putting the paneling back and stro-form and it starting raining and the damn window is pouring water in, I put a trap over it and here I m I don't know what to do? Any Ideas out there Im listening?
Check the flooring in that area also. I found that my leaking window caused the sub-flooring to start dry rotting and I had to replace a section of sub-floor under the window.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

I guess I need to order a new window to go in their.Im not sure what to do to kept it from leaking in there. I throught the tape putty would stop it and them caulk around the outside all around with rv clear seal.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Have you checked to make sure it is not a roof leak. Water could be leaking in at the roof and running down and around the window making you think it is a window leak.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
I guess I need to order a new window to go in their.Im not sure what to do to kept it from leaking in there. I throught the tape putty would stop it and them caulk around the outside all around with rv clear seal.
Check the side where the window goes with a long straight edge to make sure where you are installing the window is flat and sturdy. If you can move any of the window opening edge, then you need to find a way to stiffen it so it will not work. Also check the window frame and make sure it is not warped before you install it.

If the opening is flat and sturdy, and the window frame is not bent or warped, then the tape putty and/or RV Clear Silicone Sealer should do the trick. Well make sure the surfaces are clean and dry also.

One last thought, make sure the seals on the glass to frame are good and if it is an opening window, that it will close and seal properly.

Good luck, leaks are a pain in the posterior..
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

How do I check to see if it the roof? It look like it was coming in the top of the window where two of the screws were?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

You need to get up and check all seams and joints, and mounting areas for anything mounted to the roof. Check to make sure the caulking is still doing it's job of sealing the joints. Also very carefully check the area where the sidewall meets the roof. Your leak could concievably be several feet away from window area. Once water gets in, it can travel great distances before it shows up. Open all the cabinets and look for signs of water staining inside where the sidewall meets the roof. Water leaks can be a real problem to find, and as you have discovered can cause some serious damage.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the frames drain hole as well. They get filled with debris and cause water problems that make it appear to be a leak.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #9

Get some Eternabond tape and seal the edge on the roof line over the window. Then do the front cap seam. If it's raining now, or if you can't find the tape quickly, drape a tarp over the roof.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Remove inside trim so you can look up inside the wall.

It will have trails if from above
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

Thanks for all the Ideas would not have throught of the roof.But we have some serious rain here in alabama right now so put a 20' x 25' of plastic over it and it stopped a friend help me dropped the plastic and he said where the rain was coming in there is a fine spilt in the roof about 6 or so inches where the side comes up to meet the roof.After this rain going to trap it really good for more bad rain go head buy new vents get everything new for the top and late spring are early summer rent a overhead storage cover for two weeks are a month and replace the roof. So thanks for everyones help.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #12

Glad to hear that you may have located the source of your leakage. You may only need to repair and recaulk the areas on the roof, not having to replace the entire roof covering. Although based on the age of your unit a total roof covering replacement might be a good idea. You may also find that the plastic vent covers, a/c covers and other items may have become dried a brittle after so many years exposed to the weather. While your local RV dealer might have all the replacement parts do a web search. You may find what you need at better prices.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #13

I checked the weep holes and keep them clean. Two years ago I rented a cover storage to pull it under and redo the roof. I put exteralbond tape along the ridge and cap and rear and around old vents along with caulking the top and all the windows its probably time to recaulk around the windows again along with replacing the roof. Thanks for all your help.

Tags
window