Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Bo

My wife's 2001 DynaMax Starflyte has developed a water leak in one of its windows. The leak shows up when it is raining and the water runs out from under the interior frame and down the wall. The windows have a flat metal frame with no visible hardware or removable hardware covers on the outside. At least I can't find any covers. There are screws in the interior frame that I think go into the outer frame and hold the window in place by sandwiching the body between the inner and outer frames. Looks like a pain to remove. I could find no manufacturer ID on the windows so am at a loss in finding info on the web from a manufacturer's site. I am looking for info on removing these windows so I can re-caulk them, or at least finding who makes the windows. Any tips on resealing these windows will be appreciated. BTW: its one of the larger windows and is relatively long and narrow on the MH sidewall.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Bo

My wife's 2001 DynaMax Starflyte has developed a water leak in one of its windows. The leak shows up when it is raining and the water runs out from under the interior frame and down the wall. The windows have a flat metal frame with no visible hardware or removable hardware covers on the outside. At least I can't find any covers. There are screws in the interior frame that I think go into the outer frame and hold the window in place by sandwiching the body between the inner and outer frames. Looks like a pain to remove. I could find no manufacturer ID on the windows so am at a loss in finding info on the web from a manufacturer's site. I am looking for info on removing these windows so I can re-caulk them, or at least finding who makes the windows. Any tips on resealing these windows will be appreciated. BTW: its one of the larger windows and is relatively long and narrow on the MH sidewall.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Larry, you are correct in the fact that the inside frame screws go into the outside frame and sandwich the window into the wall. You should remove the screws on the inside and have someone hold the outside just incase it would fall out; usually this is not the case. Remove the outside frame and window assmy and clean off flange of frame. Install new butyl tape on flange and get someone to hold it in untill you get the screws started back in from the inside. Evenly tighten all the screws and the butyl will squeeze out from under the frame. The next day you can trim this off, clean any residue, rinse off with denatured alcohol and apply a silicone bead around the sides and top of the frame edge and wall. This should fix the window leak. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
paz

Before you go to all the work to remove the window, make sure the water isn't coming in through the weatherstrip between the panes of glass. Our windows are sliders, and this has happened once when the rain came from the right direction and the motorhome was a little off-level. The right combinations of conditions allowed the water to run into the inside track. The track is supposed to allow the water to drain back out through weep holes; but if the holes are plugged by dirt, dead bugs, or by the plastic track that the window slides in, the water can back up and run down the wall. Just a thought.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agree with Paz, check the window track itself for blockage. Next, look to verify if moveable glass is weathertight at the edges of glass. Sometimes a missing muntin trim piece at the overlap of fixed/movable panes or felt lining gets worn. The window glazing [black rubber insert] might shrink & not fill the void as it did perviously.

BTW:These frames all come with a continuous mastic tape seal between the frame & fiberglass.Due to the design of the frame it's never necessary to caulk the entire perimeter of the window unit. As it swells & shrinks with the temperature.Mine has outside caulk only along the top edge of frame & the upper "radius" corners. This done, not for waterproofing; but to prevent any water from accumulating between frame & fiberglass.

I would have the dear wife hose the window down while I examined the inside face for the source of leaks. Oftentimes it's not rocket science...