Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have to pull one of the windows out of our coach. The outside dual pane on the slider is shattered. I thought I could just lift it out over the bottom track like a home window. It doesn't look possible, meaning complete removal of the window. A local glass shop says they can get the tinted tempered dual pane made to fit.

Alpine says they can get the window company to build the slide portion ($350.00)but it is not recommended. Full complete window is $1050.00. Yikes.

Should I take it out and have the glass shop make me a new slide window or buy a complete?

Ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have to pull one of the windows out of our coach. The outside dual pane on the slider is shattered. I thought I could just lift it out over the bottom track like a home window. It doesn't look possible, meaning complete removal of the window. A local glass shop says they can get the tinted tempered dual pane made to fit.

Alpine says they can get the window company to build the slide portion ($350.00)but it is not recommended. Full complete window is $1050.00. Yikes.

Should I take it out and have the glass shop make me a new slide window or buy a complete?

Ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Will you insurance pay for this. Mine will, unless I did it of course.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We just put a windshield in this summer to the grand total of $1,150. Our deductible is $500. I'm thinking if it isn't hard to remove the window and get back in place (my biggest concern) and sealed up, I could handle the slider repair.
I'm a bit leery of turning in another glass claim to Progressive. You know use it and lose it!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
PDB

Tom/Patty,
I have the very same problem - I broke the outer pane on my side window. Called Glass Doctor, they said I had to replace the entire window assembly, about $2,000!
Altho my coach is an '04, they said Winny no longer has the window - they changed it in '05 and the window mfg no longer makes it.
I don't know what I'm going to do.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Start by going to the dealer, I assume you already tried the manufacture. There should be one somewhere out there you just have to start doing a lot of looking. There are some RV junk yards as well. Check with you insurance company to where they send the totals. If all else fails you can replace it with a slightly larger window, just going to take some body work as well. There should be someone that will custome make it??
Old 10-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #7

When one of our side windows cracked and broke
we replaced it with Plexiglass. Available
at Home Depot or most any home store such as
Lowes. We paid $12 For the Plexiglass cut to
size except for the rounded corners which I
cut myself. Installed it and it is working just
fine. Pete
Old 10-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Many, if not most, Rv windows come from the Hehr Company. Check directly with them on a solution to your window problem - who knows? They might have a way to solve it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Many, if not most, Rv windows come from the Hehr Company </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you Gary, that is the name of the company WRV said the window came from, but I didn't write it down.

Still I'm pretty mechanically minded is this a job I could do myself? Has anyone removed a window and reinstalled it?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,

Replacing the glass is not all that difficult. You'will need some tools and supplies. The window assemblies are like a big "C", generally with a joining seam at the bottom. The big problem is getting the glass to separate from the frame with the sticky gasket holding it in position. I don't know who is quoting those prices for those windows, but thats more then double the suggest retail price. It would be a whole lot simplar to just replace the whole window.

Give Hehr or Creation Window a call and ask for the customer service manager. If they won't assit you under warranty, then ask them for a dealer distributor where you can get the window assembly.

Radarr
Old 10-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
is not there a gas between the panes of glass. If you do it yourself how would you replace the gas?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Gary and Radarr, I sent Herh an e-mail and will wait for a response, if not call them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but thats more then double the suggest retail price </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to WRV they don't make the window anymore. There will be a 35% set-up fee and an $80 crating charge . I think the price is a bit steep too

I'll also call my insurance co and see who they might recommend. The good thing is Progressive's call center is right here in Fresno.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #13

Back when I was working I made a few bay windows with glass roofs.A good glass co.can order any replacement glass including tempered.Dual panes come sealed so putting the gas in is not an issue.Getting the old glass out may be a chore.
Bob
Old 10-29-2005, 03:52 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dual panes come sealed so putting the gas in is not an issue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, welcome to the forum. Now, I did not know that dual pane already came sealed. That is good to know. Thanks, Bob