Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #1

Last summer I cleaned and washed the rubber roof on our RV. After it dried there were spots all over the windows. I have tried EVERYTHING and they are still there. Here is a partial list: windex, a mixture of ammonia/water/baking powder/alcohol, wax, black streak remover, soap etc. etc. The spots are still there. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #2

Last summer I cleaned and washed the rubber roof on our RV. After it dried there were spots all over the windows. I have tried EVERYTHING and they are still there. Here is a partial list: windex, a mixture of ammonia/water/baking powder/alcohol, wax, black streak remover, soap etc. etc. The spots are still there. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #3

I've had success with Bon Ami. Cleans good and doesn't scratch.

John
Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 AM   #4

Thanks, I will try it! Any other suggestions I will try as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You may have washed some industrial crud off the roof and it dried onto the windows. As a last resort you can use powerful solvents on glass, e.g. lacquer thinner (aka M-E-K) or brake fluid, but be very careful not to let them drip on fiberglass, paint or decals. They will dissolve some things in a heartbeat!

I would try an automotive rubbing compound first. Bon Ami is a cousin and a bit more abrasive than the red or white rubbing compounds (it's a "scour" rather than a "polish"), so that should work even faster.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #6

Carl,

When we bought our MH we had Spots on the glass also. After much trail I found a couple things that work.

First understand the spots are most likely etched into the surface if you have tried all that with no avail.

One wat which was presented in a thread on here by a fellow IRV2er was Mother's metal polishing compound. It does work, though I found it slightly more labor intensive.

I also used the mother's with 0000 Steel wool, which worked better.

What I found worked the BEST, was Steel Wool with a glass cleaner called "Sparkle" by C.R. Lawrence. You can search for it on the web, or contact the glass stores in your area, that is where I found it. The cost was $8.00 for a small 8 oz bottle, which was enough to do all of my windows. The cleaner is NOT the purple stuff in the spray bottle, it is similar to a wax, you put it on, and it hazes and wipe it off. Applying it with the steel wool was the fastest way I found.

To prevent that situation again, I put about 3 coats of RainX on the glass, and now am VERY quick to wipe the windows after any rain or washing... I don't want to go through that again!

A suggestion given to me from the detailer I used was a new sharp Razor Blade, but i didn't get that far in my trial process.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I get that on my tinted windows. They get so hot that the mineral in the water dries on the glass before you get a chance to chamois the water off. Then they're very hard to remove.

I found that using Mother's Chrome Polish works excellent. I've used it for years on my chrome but, being a guy, I never read the directions. One day I read that it's safe on glass so I tried it. Whammo! The spots came right off without any kind of serious elbow grease. Plus, it does not scratch the glass. It's the best thing I've found to date.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #8

If they're hard water spots, use some vinegar. The acetic acid in the vinegar will dissolve them and not harm anything else.

If you want to get REALLY agressive, go to a photo supply store and get some stop bath concentrate from the darkroom supplies section (if you can find such a place these days). Dilute 1:32 (no stronger) with distilled water and use the same way. OUTDOORS.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like the ideas for glass has found away to remove white streeks from the detail strips on the sides of our MH's. Just can't remove them seems as though streeks are burned into decal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #10

Try vinegar, if they're mineral deposits they should be dissolvable. Vinegar won't damage the vinyl decal material. Diluted stop bath might, so be careful. Don't scrub; the decals are far softer than paint/gel coat.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #11

Thanks for all the responses. I tried the Mothers Chrome Polish and the spots didn't budge. I will try next the steel wool. I can't believe how stubborn these spots are!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #12

I have used RainX to remove all kinds of stuff from the windows and windshield on our motorhome.

You might give it a try...

Coach Dog - Sadie
rvcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #13

Are you sure it's not etched in from acid rain? If it is nothing is going to remove.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
RainX also makes a glass cleaner in addition to the water repellent.