Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Windows

Someone posted on how to clean between the glass on sliding RV windows.?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprnt12 View Post
Someone posted on how to clean between the glass on sliding RV windows.?
I've seen posts mentioning various businesses who will repair double pane windows which have begun to leak but don't think I've ever seen a post about taking them apart to clean the inside of the panes. They really need some sort of remanufacturing process to keep condensation out.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm assuming you've got single pane windows and not double pane windows that have fogged. To clean mine I lift out the sliding pane and then can access all sides of both panes. It also gives a chance to clean out the slide channel and lube with silicone spray. To remove, my sliding glass lifts up enough to clear the bottom, which can then be tilted out of the bottom track and removed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

I have dual pane. Someone drilled between the panes and pumped vinager and distilled water between and then sealed the holes. And I am not enough of an old person to not know how to remove and clean single panes.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
I have dual pane. Someone drilled between the panes and pumped vinager and distilled water between and then sealed the holes. And I am not enough of an old person to not know how to remove and clean single panes.

Wow. That's a pretty bizarre way of dealing with fogged thermopane windows. The norm is to drill through one pane, schools out on whether it should be outer (dirtier) or inner (more humid) window that's drilled, but in either case the gap is not filled but left open to the atmosphere.

Filling with a liquid would actually be less energy efficient then leaving it open.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE= . And I am not enough of an old person to not know how to remove and clean single panes.[/QUOTE]

Would you care to explain just what you mean? You see, I am an old person and do not understand.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
In general, there is no "in between" with dual pane windows, they are sealed units. When the seal is broken, they must be dismantled, cleaned, new desiccant put in, then resealed. Murf2u, I'd be very careful trying to drill through the glass, if that's what being suggested. You could drill through the seal and edge frame, but not the glass. It's tempered glass that has been heat treated and any attempt to drill through the glass would result in it shattering into small nuggets. I've never heard of filling with vinegar. I assume it's an attempt to clean the glass, I doubt if it would be left full of the vinegar/water mix, and it would take a long time to dry it out again. Dual pane windows that have lost the seal and are fogged will often permanently stain or etch the inside surfaces of the glass, making it necessary to replace the glass. Repair should take place soon after noticing the broken seal rather than later.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In general, there is no "in between" with dual pane windows, they are sealed units. When the seal is broken, they must be dismantled, cleaned, new desiccant put in, then resealed. Murf2u, I'd be very careful trying to drill through the glass, if that's what being suggested. You could drill through the seal and edge frame, but not the glass. It's tempered glass that has been heat treated and any attempt to drill through the glass would result in it shattering into small nuggets. I've never heard of filling with vinegar. I assume it's an attempt to clean the glass, I doubt if it would be left full of the vinegar/water mix, and it would take a long time to dry it out again. Dual pane windows that have lost the seal and are fogged will often permanently stain or etch the inside surfaces of the glass, making it necessary to replace the glass. Repair should take place soon after noticing the broken seal rather than later.

Actually the 'standard' method of dealing with fogged thermo-pane windows is to 'drill' a hole through one pane using a diamond burr bit in a Dremel tool. It's actually grinding a hole, but drilling is more descriptive since that's how you traditionally make a hole.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Would you care to explain just what you mean? You see, I am an old person and do not understand.
My original post should explain it wasn't a "single pane". As I like to be answered without insult.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
My original post should explain it wasn't a "single pane". As I like to be answered without insult.
I in no way was trying to insult you. I saw your post had been unanswered for over 4 hours so I gave my best guess as to what your single line: "Someone posted on how to clean between the glass on sliding RV windows.?" was asking. Your wording, "between the glass on sliding RV windows" sounded like the issue was what we encountered the first time my wife tried to wash windows. Had you added 'fogged' or something else to make your question more clear, I would have answered differently.

Duo pane windows are made with 2 sheets of tempered glass with an aluminum pr plastic box spacer. Within the spacer is usually a desiccant to remove any residual moisture. The 4 sides of the assembly is then sealed with butyl rubber to make a sealed unit. Pressure changes, vibration, and especially use of foil shading can cause the seal to break, allowing enough moisture into the void to overwhelm the desiccant and allow moisture to collect on the inside surfaces of the glass.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've read several posts on repairing dual pane windows.

Yes, there was a post on drilling into the seal of the window and filling with windex or vinegar. After some consideration I decided I did not want to attempt this.

Here is a Youtube video of resealing window

As soon as the weather clears I intend to try one of the windows that has fogged in my Windsor. This seems like the best option to provide hopefully a permanent repair.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled my double pane windows with great success. It is some work and takes a little bravery to do it but it is relatively easy to do. Search for 'fogged window repair thread'.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am lucky and have only single pain windows. Wash interior side go outside and wash exterior window.
Sorry couldn't resists,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I in no way was trying to insult you. I saw your post had been unanswered for over 4 hours so I gave my best guess as to what your single line: "Someone posted on how to clean between the glass on sliding RV windows.?" was asking. Your wording, "between the glass on sliding RV windows" sounded like the issue was what we encountered the first time my wife tried to wash windows. Had you added 'fogged' or something else to make your question more clear, I would have answered differently.

Duo pane windows are made with 2 sheets of tempered glass with an aluminum pr plastic box spacer. Within the spacer is usually a desiccant to remove any residual moisture. The 4 sides of the assembly is then sealed with butyl rubber to make a sealed unit. Pressure changes, vibration, and especially use of foil shading can cause the seal to break, allowing enough moisture into the void to overwhelm the desiccant and allow moisture to collect on the inside surfaces of the glass.
Bob, I was thinking the same as you were; single pane windows. I was lurking until that was clearer.

I really doubt anyone would fill between dual-panes with anything that freezes and leave it there.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window