Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

Windshield heat

First post and first motorhome. We've taken it out twice and everything's good so far. 1 thing I'm wondering about is the heat coming from my windshield. All I have it curtains up there now and you can feel the heat coming from up there. I've seen a lot of people using reflective bubble insulation. What are some things you guys are using on your windshields?
Daybreak08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

In your case, (Just curtains) An exterior solar screen may be the hot ticket.

Check with Pro Shade and several other companies
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Closing your curtains when the sun is shining in will help. If you want to see out, there are a number of see through products with various kinds of attachment methods to consider. The longer you have your motor home, the more you will learn. Unfortunately, it seems I always find that next thing I just have to have!
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #4

We have the motorized day & night shades for the front windshield. However, when we're parked in an area where there is a lot of sunshine and heat hitting the front windshield, we put up a piece of the foil reflective bubble material that you referred to in place. It does a good job of keeping the heat from getting into the motorhome. Bought a large roll of this at Home Depot and cut it to fit - would highly recommend for those hot & sunny days.
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
In general it's better to stop the heat from the outside rather than from the inside (because at that point it's already inside, even though you've corralled it somewhat). The reflective insulation definitely helps though, I use it on my side windows when they're facing the sun.

I use a windshield shade from these folks
RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing
It's easy to put on and works well and is relatively inexpensive.

I'm sure you'll see references to Magneshade, that's a popular one and widely well regarded. However I have metal bits in my body and shouldn't be handling magnets as strong as the ones they use on these shades.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to try the reflective insulation and see how that works for now. A sunscreen might be a play in the future. Will let y'all know how it works for me.
Daybreak08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your front windshield is single thickness. Your side windows may be two panes of glass. Using reflectix or other foil-bubble stuff is okay on the single pane. On the double pane, it will super heat the air between the panes and cause seal failure which then leads to condensation between the panes then eventually the the glass will fog/etch the glass.

Same for DIY window tint. You need to specifically find the type that can be used on double/triple pane.

They do make "affordable" covers for the front windshield. However, cheap quality will result in early replacement. I needed one quickly and the local shop had a temp cover that straps over the Sat dome, side mirrors, etc. with web strapping, etc. In Florida, the web straps lasted 6mos, if that.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #8

We use this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gard...050R/100578674

We attach it to the front windshield with suction cups that have hooks on them. Easy up and down and can still see out the window. We have the exterior sun shield but it is a bit of a pain to attach and detach. When it get really warm, we have this. https://www.amazon.com/Motorhome-Col...s=Rv+sun+shade
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:20 PM   #9

Magna shade is worth every penny maybe the best upgrade I've done or purchased yet. best way to keep the heat out is to block it from the outside, once inside it's inside .

http://www.magneshade.com
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Your front windshield is single thickness. Your side windows may be two panes of glass. Using reflectix or other foil-bubble stuff is okay on the single pane. On the double pane, it will super heat the air between the panes and cause seal failure which then leads to condensation between the panes then eventually the the glass will fog/etch the glass.
Thanks, I was aware of that.
The side windows on ours had seal failures when we bought it, so that currently isn't an issue for us. Getting them fixed is on our list of things to do, at that point we'll do something different to keep the sun out of the side windows.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreak08 View Post
First post and first motorhome. We've taken it out twice and everything's good so far. 1 thing I'm wondering about is the heat coming from my windshield. All I have it curtains up there now and you can feel the heat coming from up there. I've seen a lot of people using reflective bubble insulation. What are some things you guys are using on your windshields?

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

I bought a roll of the 4' Reflectix and cut it the right length for our windshield. It works great but we hate not being able to see out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
In general it's better to stop the heat from the outside rather than from the inside (because at that point it's already inside, even though you've corralled it somewhat). The reflective insulation definitely helps though, I use it on my side windows when they're facing the sun.

I use a windshield shade from these folks
RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing
It's easy to put on and works well and is relatively inexpensive.

I'm sure you'll see references to Magneshade, that's a popular one and widely well regarded. However I have metal bits in my body and shouldn't be handling magnets as strong as the ones they use on these shades.
x2 for Prompt. Easy on/off. Big difference with heat and can still see out.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #13

There is new clear window tints that will stop most radiant heat from coming through the windshield. It is a little expensive but it works great and also stops the UV Damage.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Windshield heat

I had a friend make these they do have to be snapped on from the outside and they help but nothing I feel will cut it down all together unless maybe something an inch thick. [ATTACH]163924Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	163925
I have them for bedroom windows too, downfall can't see out and need a 4' ladder and stand on top step to them on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	769.3 KB
ID:	163924  

Tags
heat