RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Windshield shade fixed!

Well, as luck would have it, my windshield shade motor went out while on a trip but it ended up being a positive. I found a replacement motor on Amazon for $56 and fixed it myself and now I also have a remote control to power it. That led to me thinking about those manual side shades in the front, so I bought motors, installed them and also bought a remote which will control up to 15 blinds so now all the front are remote control. I was lucky in that the motors fit my rods exactly and the only modification was the end brackets which I had to grind a little off, then bend one of the ends but they work perfectly. So all total, I have about $150 in the upgrade but I can control all the front shades from either their own remote in the front or the one remote from anywhere in the MH. Sometimes when something tears up, it can end up being a good thing. I'm thinking I might tackle the ones in the living area but that would mean two motors each since they have the black and regular shades.

bharrisv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

Were they MCD shades/motors? Where did you get them?

megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

Windshield shade fixed!

Opportunity for any upgrade equals satisfaction of ownership.
This is the proper attitude we should all have regarding just about anything that goes wrong with these beast.

Well, other than fire... I donít want to play with fire.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by megehrs View Post
Were they MCD shades/motors? Where did you get them?
They're not MCD, they're made by Irvine Shade Co. in Elkhart. My MH came with them from the factory. The windshield one is powered but the side shades were manual but they had the same exact rod used, just the sides are shorter. I got the same EXACT brand motor they used from Amazon. The motors are cheap Chinese made named "BOFU". I say "cheap" but they're actually pretty nifty. They came with a remote and you can program them to stop at bottom and top as well as in the middle. The motors have a good bit of torque. I hooked one up to 12V and tried to stop it with my hand but couldn't. The motors fit exactly into the rods so it was a really easy fix and upgrade.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Opportunity for any upgrade equals satisfaction of ownership.
This is the proper attitude we should all have regarding just about anything that goes wrong with these beast.

Well, other than fire... I donít want to play with fire.
Me too! Yeah, I agree we get aggravated when things break but then we have an excuse to make things better.

Tags
windshield