Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #43

we solved the dilema of outside vs inside. we have both mcd inside rollershades and outside shades. when staying more than three days we put the outside shades on. if not we use the inside shades. after having the roller shades installed this past april i can say in my opinion the outside shades are more efficient and thats why were using them for extended stays. the side window mcd's are also great for keeping the sun out or keeping it warmer inside when cold jim

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Several years ago, "Firestone" (the tire people) developed a material for NASA that was multi-layered , had a gold colored foil on the outer side and a couple of layers of other material for insulation.
If I remember right, this was intended for use in the space suites, don't know how this would hold up to multiple rolling/folding-un-folding or weather but I am surprised that something like this has not been refined/ modified and found it's way into the rv industry for sun screens and other applications.
I got exposed to the material thanks to a relative who worked on the project and got to "PLAY" with some samples , it worked VERY WELL for reflecting solar energy.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #45

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Actually I like that HUGE picture window in the front of the cabin, and would not use anything that I had to "struggle" to remove as I open and close the front curtain 4-5 times a day..

So its "Inside" for me..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am one of those who also prefer inside. I went with the RV Quickshades - I met the folks there and liked how "upfront" and non-pushy they were. I have talked with other companies -but Tim & Crystal are normal folks who even let me try theirs out while I was at a rally! I still love the product after 3 years of use!!!

I have some photos posted here of how it looks inside and outside if you are interested.
MonacoMama

PS... Inside is much cleaner when you get ready to "hit the road".. especially if it has been raining.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #47

If anyone is interested. I have a full set of external MCD sunscreens for a 07,08 and 09 Tiffin Allegro Bus. This set consists of a windshield sunscreen, a driver's window sunscreen, a pass. window sunscreen and one for the entry door window. They are in excellent shape. Hardly used.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #48

i also bought mcd roller sunscreens and they do make an excellent product.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
I am one of those who also prefer inside. I went with the RV Quickshades - I met the folks there and liked how "upfront" and non-pushy they were. I have talked with other companies -but Tim & Crystal are normal folks who even let me try theirs out while I was at a rally! I still love the product after 3 years of use!!!

I have some photos posted here of how it looks inside and outside if you are interested.
MonacoMama

PS... Inside is much cleaner when you get ready to "hit the road".. especially if it has been raining.
your quickshades link doesn't work.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
your quickshades link doesn't work.
Dan L... try this one...
Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #51

I got a headache reading all the test results.It seems if you keep the sun off to begin with it should be cooler.I bought shade cloth used for plant shade from Home Depot and made my own outside shades. I made a hook on one corner that attaches around the cb antenna base . I can hook it from the ground with a piece of PVC pipe. The other corner has a suction cup that I can place from the door step.The bottom corners are held with small bungees to the mirrors.I like the magnet idea and may try them.
BOB
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I got a headache reading all the test results.It seems if you keep the sun off to begin with it should be cooler.I bought shade cloth used for plant shade from Home Depot and made my own outside shades. I made a hook on one corner that attaches around the cb antenna base . I can hook it from the ground with a piece of PVC pipe. The other corner has a suction cup that I can place from the door step.The bottom corners are held with small bungees to the mirrors.I like the magnet idea and may try them.
BOB
Bob,
If it works and you like it, go for it!! Like "beauty", functionality is "in the eyes of the beholder (user)" -- I prefer 'black coffee', other folks prefer cream and sugar, or decaf, or mocha, ... We're all "Happy Campers"!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
We just purchased Windshield sunshades for our MH. We got the ones you install from inside & use suction cups. RVQuickShades, RV Qiick Shades,inside mount solar shades, inside mount sun shades, inside mount sunshades, inside mount RV solar shades, inside mount motor home sun shades. RV solar shades, RV sunshades,RV Quick Shades, RV Quick Shades, Inside Mounte We are very happy with the results. We put them on the windshield, drivers window, passenger window & dining table large arched window. We like the ability to look out with out others being able to see in. Plus the added benifit of a little cooler & UV protection. Thanks Tim & Crystal
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #54
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This thread originated last spring. After reading it back then I visited the Magna Shade web site and watched the Video. To me it was a no brainer, for an outside shade, and I ordered a windshield shade for our Allegro. I'd resisted buying something until then as any I saw looked like they'd be a PITA to put up and take down, and / or could cause damage to the coach. I installed it myself, with great results. Its up in about 30 seconds, down and put away in about 60 (comes down in 2 seconds, the rest is to fold it and put it in the carry case). No chance of causing any damage to the rig or its finishes. It made a huge difference as we sat facing the sun in Louisville this past July, when the temps were in the upper 90s.

What none of those that have 'researched' the difference between inside and outside shades have mentioned, is what is the temp between the glass and the inside shade. Lets assume a 90 degree day, facing the sun. I'd wager it would exceed 150, maybe more, between the glass and shade. Now add in one of those quick brewing, quick hitting thunder storms - that cold water hits the very hot glass. You've got potential for a stress crack.

While the air 18" behind the screen may be about the same tempature, inside vs outside screen, that can be greatly influenced by the circulation of air within the coach. (I'm reminded of when we installed a wood burning stove, years ago. The instructions were to install it at least 18" from any combustible wall materials.) It would be difficult to set up a scientific test, but common sense tells me that with that very hot air, inside the coach, the A/C has to work a bit harder to counter.

While even an inside screen may help keep interior heat gain manageable, I'm still going with an outside shade for our new coach. I've already placed an order with Roger Hunckler, owner of Magne Shade, for a full set of windshield and front side glass shades, which he's graciously offered to install for us, as we'll be taking delivery of the new rig about 80 miles from his 'factory'. We've also ordered a full set of his wheel covers. I see these add ons as part of the cost of our new 'retirement' home, which we hope and expect to enjoy for a decade, or much more.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
JMonroe..I actually saw the testing and results between outside and inside shades... Results were actually better with the RVQuickShades !!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
We also went with the inside sun shades; they work and because they are on the inside they stay clean. Joe

http://www.sunandcomfort.com/p1.html