Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Windshield Sun Screens

Who uses a windshield sun screen? What is the best type? Inside, outside?
What attachment method?
What is the best company?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #2

We like the outside custom made screens (not the MCD version with Velcro adjustments).
If you are in Tucson have Big Daddy Cool Shades make them at Beaudry RV Resort.
They keep the heat out better than the inside shades and they look much better. If heat is not a concern the inside shades do a good job of keeping others from looking in and they are much cheaper.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
We like the outside custom made screens (not the MCD version with Velcro adjustments).
They keep the heat out better than the inside shades and they look much better. If heat is not a concern the inside shades do a good job of keeping others from looking in and they are much cheaper.
Bill brings up a good point. Yes heat is a concern. We winter and work here in Texas and then will travel during the summer months.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have shades for the windshield, side window and door.
We only use them when we are parked where the sun will cause a heat problem, facing into the sun most of the day. They are the snap on type.
A folding sun screen and the front curtains do a very good job the rest of the time.
Now that is the system when we stop at a camp ground/RV resort for 1-7 days, if we plan on being some where for a longer stay or there is a beautiful view thru the windshield, the windshield screens go up first after dumping the air.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I made inside shades and live in S. Fl. and mine keep the heat out and dirt and mildew out as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
We have shades for the windshield, side window and door.
We only use them when we are parked where the sun will cause a heat problem, facing into the sun most of the day. They are the snap on type.
A folding sun screen and the front curtains do a very good job the rest of the time.
Now that is the system when we stop at a camp ground/RV resort for 1-7 days, if we plan on being some where for a longer stay or there is a beautiful view thru the windshield, the windshield screens go up first after dumping the air.
I used to use a silver type sun screen inside the windshield on my last mh. One day as I was washing the rig the windshield split from top to bottom. The heat created by those things is immense.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We currently use the inside type that attach with suction cups. They work well however we plan on taking a ride down to TX this summer and having MCD install their American Due day/night shades with remote control.
They will serve a triple purpose as sunshades, sun visors, and privacy shades. You can see them here American Duo Day/Night Shade System
Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the inside shades with suction cups. I don't have to worry about removing outside shades during the rain and then storing wet screens. They do seem to keep the heat out also.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check out Magne Shade

No snaps
No velcro
No Ladders
No Suction cups
Etc.,

The Magne Shade is held on to the windshield by Magnets placed on the inside of the windshield with 3m sticky tape. Putting them on is less than 30 seconds for the windshield while standing on the ground. According to the web site the screen will block 90% of the solar energy.

I noticed a big difference since I started using them. I also have the side shades by Magne Shade. They are less than 15 seconds, each, to install. It takes longer to get the shades out of storage than installing, for sure.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
PAS

We prefer the sunscreen that is held on our windshield and sides with snaps. Ours were custom made by a fellow who does this in several Arizona RV parks during the winter. This would be our first choice if you have the opportunity. If you are out that way, I have his name and phone number if you decide to do it.

The outside sunscreens are our preference, however, if you have difficultry reaching the top of your windshield on the outside I would recommend the inside ones. I would also suggest either snaps or the twist means of holding the outside ones on as they will keep your sunscreen held on securely, particularly when there is a heavy wind. I have seen the magnetic ones and frankly, they do not impress me because they seem to have wrinkles and are loose, although they are probably easier to put on and take off. May have just been the ones that I saw and could be off base on that.

Hope this helps.
PAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We just picked up the inside sun shade that attach with the suction cups and like them. I was using the big silver sun shade and our front curtains but both totally block all light and DW was always complaining how dark it was. I suspect she just couldn't see what was going on outside, but wouldn't admit it. Anyway, she is much happier now, so I am too...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Promt RV Sunscreen out of Florida, check the web site, Its a great company to do business with. No ladders no snaps no drilling it goes on in 1 minute and comes off in 30 seconds. You give them the year make + model of your coach they send back a custom fit screen. They will also send sample material.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Check out Magne Shade

No snaps
No velcro
No Ladders
No Suction cups
Etc.,

The Magne Shade is held on to the windshield by Magnets placed on the inside of the windshield with 3m sticky tape. Putting them on is less than 30 seconds for the windshield while standing on the ground. According to the web site the screen will block 90% of the solar energy.

I noticed a big difference since I started using them. I also have the side shades by Magne Shade. They are less than 15 seconds, each, to install. It takes longer to get the shades out of storage than installing, for sure.
Wayne,
Do these hold well?? Lately we've had 15 mph wind gusting to 22-25.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #14

While at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta several years ago, CoachShades (Welcome) made customer covers for my Allegro Bay's windshield and driver's & passenger's side windows. The heat & sun protection is great, and in addition I really like the privacy factor during the day. In fact, most times I don't even close the windshield curtains during the evening. While traveling, they're rolled up and stored in a 4" pvc pipe; keeps them safe and out of the way.

They attach via snaps and does require I use a 7' ladder (double sided folding type from Camping World); takes about 10 minutes to put them up/take down, plus another 10 minutes to dig out and re-store the ladder. Generally, I put them up when I'm going to be somewhere for 3-4 or more days.

However, when it comes time for a new set, I will definitely take a look at the Magna Shades. Anything to make any kind of RV setup/take down easier is okay with me!