Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Question Windshield Wiper Failure Troubleshooting

The windshield wipers stopped in mid-stroke on my 2011 Newmar Dutch Star yesterday. I pulled over and noticed that the VIP Control Module for the Smart Wheel was "clicking" and that the mini-circuit breaker for the wiper motor was hot. I pulled the mini-circuit breaker and the clicking stopped as well.

I assume the problem is probably the motor itself, causing the mini-circuit breaker to cycle and overheat. The motor seems to be a common one, Tru Vision ZD1631 as evident by many Chinese supplies on the internet, but I can't find an on-line dealer by searching. If necessary I can buy it from Newmar. Second possibility is a problem with the Smart Wheel switches or control module.

My question is whether another forum member has had a similar problem and has any troubleshooting,repair, or supplier suggestions.

blue lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is some information for your smart wheel.

You need to join us in the NEWMAR FORUM

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Thanks 007:

Thanks for the link to the Smart Wheel info. I've visited the Newmar Forum in the past and will keep an eye on it in the future.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have experienced a similar wiper problem in my 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bay. The wipers suddenly stop mid-stroke when running on low speed. To restart the wipers I have to switch them off then switch to high speed. After running on high speed I can switch them to low speed. Again, after running for awhile they stop mid-stroke. When they begin to act up the wipers will not run in the intermittent mode. I've replace the Workhouse wiper control module with a new one. The problem is not solved. I spent the good part of yesterday at a Workhorse repair center. They could not duplicate the problem after running the wipers for over 2 hours. After about 90 minutes the technician took a temperature reading on the ZD1631 wiper motor. It was registering 193 degrees F. I contacted the Tru Vision factory and was told that this is a normal operating temperature for this motor. I've checked, cleaned and greased all of the connectors when installed the new controller. This has not helped. Does anyone have any further thoughts? Where can I get a wiring diagram for the motor?
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Newmar believed the failure was due to a defective mini-circuit breaker, not the wiper system or smart wheel. I replaced the circuit breaker and the wipers work, but I've not had a chance to test them while driving down the road in the rain.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had that problem with my Dash HEVAC. Same solution, still works.

Wiper blades.. Often as much as 40 dollars for the longer lengths (My house takes 28" got 'em for less than 10 at Meijer's Auto dept (A superstoremarket) last Sat.. Had to drill out a pivot pin and enlarge one hole but for 30 dollar savings I can do a lot of machine work.

Trico-Perfect fit.. They have some others now that I know exactly what I need I'll look closer for one with holes instead of a pivot pin. Many in the 10-12 dollar range there.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote