Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Windshields Broken by Speeding Big Rig

I was driving south to exercise the rig on a two lane highway doing 65mph in the right lane. A big rig in a big hurry decided 75mph was a better speed and passed me in the left lane - and threw up a bunch of road debris including rocks and something that made a loud clunk right between both my windshields.

I was so mad! Nothing to do about it, he went onward speeding away and I exited in disgust.

My insurance covered most of it.

My reason for this post is to tell you how great a job the installer did. I used Wilkinson Glass out of Stockton, CA. They are mobile and cover from Washington to Arizona. It took a bit to schedule them in as they were in Las Vegas at the time and heading to San Diego next, plus Thanksgiving week was upon us.

They did a great job, mitigating rust, cleaned up the area and my dash. They used glass made in the USA for my Winnebago. It has the Winnebago name and part numbers.

One of my broken windshields was a replacement made in Turkey. They also told me that the insurance companies supplier likes to use glass made in China. My insurance company's supplier tried to get me to take it to their shop, but I insisted on using Wilkinson Glass - which is my right.

I found them from a video on Youtube by the RVGeeks:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad it worked out good for you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

That is great, he sure travels some distance to take care of people.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
During our first big trip in our new Monaco Diplomat, we got a windshield chip. We had it repaired in Sedona while at the campground. When we returned home, I called my insurance company and found I could lower my comprehensive cover to $100.00 deductible for about $14.00 a year.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Driving mostly on two lane roads like I have done, has some additional costs. Replaced 6 halves of our two piece windshield over the years, all caused by large trucks approaching from the opposite direction. The most memorable was a rock over 2" in diameter thrown through the windshield and coming to rest in the bedroom. This gift was from an equipment carrier, the rock was most likely wedged between his duallys. Thankfully it hit near the center of the windshield, but there was a lot of glass to cleanup.
Chased down the culprit and we went over his entire load, finding it clean. The truck driver was amicable about the whole affair. Nothing a little duct tape won't fix.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #6

Its great to hear you say that it was not the truck deivers fault after seeing that it didnt come from his load.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Its great to hear you say that it was not the truck drivers fault after seeing that it didnt come from his load.
After seeing that he had taken great care cleaning the equipment, I realized it was not due to carelessness. I approached him calmly and explained what happened and he responded helpfully. We both thought it was most probably a rock wedged between his tires, just one of those unfortunate things. I have had to pry rocks from between my duals after driving on unimproved roads. In the rv it was easier to detect, it would not be so easy with a trailer 40' behind. He did say he will check the duals after coming off a job site in the future, he did not want anyone to get hurt. To this day however I tense up a bit when I see an equipment carrier coming towards me, very memorable indeed.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

I had a appox 6in rock come through my windshield about 30 years ago that came off the load from a 10 wheeler. Didnt have a chance to chase him down as we were covered in glass and a bit shaken by it. I went to the trucking co and they would take no responsibility because i couldnt give them a truck number. I reported it to State Patrol and then took the bill to the trucking co and they reluctantly paid it. I told them they were lucky noone was killed.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While heading to Alaska on the Alaska Highway, we slowed down to go over a part that had been covered with gravel, about a mile long. A large truck coming at us never slowed down and as he went by threw a boat wake of rocks at us. It looked just like water would fly off a boat as it sped by. Very loud of course...
Fortunately, we saw no damage, but it scared us a lot.
From then on we tried to watch for big trucks before entering a gravel part. None of them ever slowed down and we saw the gravel spray several times from afar.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
This thread is starting to sound like an advert for dash cams

My 6'6" Uncle coming back from basic training in his VW bug a LONG time ago had an owl come through his windshield !!! Scary part was the owl lived and was going crazy in the back seat while he was trying to stop from 60 mph !!!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
My 6'6" Uncle coming back from basic training in his VW bug a LONG time ago had an owl come through his windshield !!! Scary part was the owl lived and was going crazy in the back seat while he was trying to stop from 60 mph !!!
Oh man, that would be a handful, I would rather take my chances with a rock.
Sorry to go off topic but that story reminds me of one a good friend of mine told me many years ago. He was piloting an army Chinook helicopter on a tree top training mission, following another CH-47. Suddenly the lead chopper displayed very erratic flight and he feared the worst. There was no crash but the mission was cut short. Turned out a turkey buzzard had flown through an open window and was in a frenzy inside the cockpit. The bird then settled in the lap of one the pilots, clamping onto his thigh with his beak.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #12

Moral of this story (the OP's anyway) is that it isn't a good idea to "exercise" your MH over winter. Just leave it sit/set.