Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winegard Traveler, & coach Control Center

Not sure this warrants a "new" thread on the Winegard Traveler, but I tried to read everything I could before starting my install, but never really felt comfortable of how the satellite would interact with the coach Control Center. Just could not figure out how the new high tech satellite would work in my 2003 Dutch Star control center. I am sure everyone had the answer to this but me, but the answer is it has NO EFFECT at all. We have Direct TV with a Genie in our home. The Genie will move into the Motorhome on the main tv and the other two tv's get a Mini-Genie (wireless). All tv's are connected to their Genie's with a HD cable. The old coach coax cable remains connected to all tv's to provide local cable and local antenna. The only thing you have to do is hit the "input" button on the tv remote and go to the HD "input" that the satellite is on and you are there! All three tv's have their own independent programming. I hope this might help someone that struggles with these things too. The satellite has nothing to do with the the coach system..... Just the Smart tv's. It works great!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winegard Traveler, & coach Control Center

Denny... It's always good when something works with no problems. Your coach (and I'm sure, your BOMB and control system), are very similar to mine. From your description I gather that the reason the control box has no effect is because no part of your satellite feed is wired through it!

Ours is the same-- previous owner removed the BR tv and upgraded the LR tv. Rooftop sat is wired direct to the tuner box, bypassing the bomb. However, the CATV and the DVR player inputs are still wired through the control box, and there are still cable runs connected to the box from old installations. All that wiring will be gutted and replaced in an upcoming project, but in the meantime it still has an effect.
We recently bought a Traveller to augment our rooftop dish antenna in blocked locations. For simplicity, I wanted to be able to connect the Traveller to the existing CATV input in the electrical bay. However, it refused to cooperate, and in researching the problem I learned that apparently CATV signals are fine with being routed through splitters but SAT signals are not. Who knew? So for that one period of a couple of months I routed the infeed through a window and directly to the tuner box. Now I have to install a new external connection.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The "BOMB" is the correct term, what a mess! And you are correct, no part of the Traveler wiring touched the BOMB. I probably could reduce the mess by removing the coax for "sat in & sat out" on the BOMB. Good luck on your other issues! David

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
travel