Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #1

I have a factory installed Wingard AS-2003 automatic RV digital satellite system (NOT in motion type). I use DirecTV. The roof dish will find the satellite, no problem. I've had the coach for 2 years and no real problems with the satellite. But, all of a sudden, one of my receivers kept getting "searching for satellite" message. (I have a TiVo -for me- and an RCA receiver -for the wife- and it was hers that wouldn't get a signal. I did all the DirecTV "fix" solutions to no avail.
I know that both recievers are good by setting up an external dish - and both receivers work fine. I changed out the roof LNB with one I knew worked, same problem. It seemed to me that one of the co-ax cables at the roof dish was bad. That's what the dealer thought too, so they replaced it. (Much to my disgust, they simply cut the "bad" wire and replaced it by cutting a hole in the roof just above the A/V equipment.) At the dealer, both receivers worked, seemed like "problem solved" even if it was ugly.
Then I drove the unit home and had the same problem, with the same receiver. I checked the connections and all seemed tight. (No amp meter to check for continuity.)
It seems like there is a "break" somewhere in the system - maybe to a ground. I'm not an electrician "or the son of an electrician," so I need some help from some of you techs out there. Any suggestions appreciated.
We are on the road in Northern California, heading toward LA and south, then east to Florida.

OpaRon
2005 Dutch Star 4009
2002 4Runner Toad
1 wife (46 years)
1 dog
Retired USN

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #2

I have a factory installed Wingard AS-2003 automatic RV digital satellite system (NOT in motion type). I use DirecTV. The roof dish will find the satellite, no problem. I've had the coach for 2 years and no real problems with the satellite. But, all of a sudden, one of my receivers kept getting "searching for satellite" message. (I have a TiVo -for me- and an RCA receiver -for the wife- and it was hers that wouldn't get a signal. I did all the DirecTV "fix" solutions to no avail.
I know that both recievers are good by setting up an external dish - and both receivers work fine. I changed out the roof LNB with one I knew worked, same problem. It seemed to me that one of the co-ax cables at the roof dish was bad. That's what the dealer thought too, so they replaced it. (Much to my disgust, they simply cut the "bad" wire and replaced it by cutting a hole in the roof just above the A/V equipment.) At the dealer, both receivers worked, seemed like "problem solved" even if it was ugly.
Then I drove the unit home and had the same problem, with the same receiver. I checked the connections and all seemed tight. (No amp meter to check for continuity.)
It seems like there is a "break" somewhere in the system - maybe to a ground. I'm not an electrician "or the son of an electrician," so I need some help from some of you techs out there. Any suggestions appreciated.
We are on the road in Northern California, heading toward LA and south, then east to Florida.

OpaRon
2005 Dutch Star 4009
2002 4Runner Toad
1 wife (46 years)
1 dog
Retired USN

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #3

Its funny, but the last 2 weeks I cant get my Movin view tracking sat to keep a signal. As long as I leave it in search mode its fine.I lock on to sat,turn off tracking and it goes into "searcing for signal" mode.This is happening while its in my driveway.I am off tomorrow on a trip , so I am hoping its just my driveway(although its never done this).I will post saturday.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can check the receivers by simply swapping them - if the fault follows the receiver then that's a problem; if the fault stays with the location then you've got a bad connection somewhere between the LNB and the receiver...
Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #5

I have had similar problems with my Directv factory installed tracking system . If my dealer reprograms the system with a lap top it works , however the next time we turn it on , it can not find the signal.It's being going on for 18 months . Directv tech is of no help .
I'm looking at replacing the system with a Moto Sat unit .
Gordysvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Have any of you tried talking to Weingard? In the past I had some problems with my antenas and the Weingard people were very good to deal with.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #7

Roger that! Winegard has been great. It was the incompetence at the dealership that made me so angry to just "fix it myself." Winegard thinks the problem may be in the 9-pin connector under the roof shroud. Or possibly a loose ground. I have a friend who know how to read a volt-ohm meter and will help me sort it out soon. Thanks for the comebacks.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi guys--
If you need technical help this fellow can steer you straight. His name is Jim Weaver 540 379 5419. He's just north of Richmond VA and is an independent installed-- many years of experience, Does motor home all the time.
Max H