Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
winnabago rotten partial side and all of back.

This is a 96 Winnie Minnie we inherited last fall. I took it to a rv repair shop and they said it was rotten and they would not tear in to it's because I wanted an estimate, and would not guarantee they would get to fix it.

My question is how hard would it be to do myself? We do not have a shop to keep it in, and live where we get 100 plus inches of rain a year. It looks like a few sheet of thin plywood or paneling. Is the Frame on this model metal or wood, would make it easier if metal to fasten the paneling to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inside? outiside? all the way through? generally what happens is the window seal goes bad and leaks. It is very easy to pull the windows and cut the inside panel. I use paneling and a chair rail, looks better than new. Be sure to use putty tape to reseal the windows.

highcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
You are about to open a can of worms that will cost you a huge pile of money and frustration. Unless you have a shop, the coach will stay wet constantly. In your situation, I might call and e-mailWinnebago and inquire if they could even give you a rough estimate of the trouble and steps you will have. Include lots of photos. Probably too old a coach to have them do a repair, but you could also ask that.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So let me get this straight . . . the repair shop determined that the entire rear and part of the side was all rotted out, but how could they really tell since they did not tear into it?

It may not be as bad as they reported. It is simply wise business practice to overstate a repair in case it is really that serious

Bad News: Any rot is bad.

Good News: Any rot is repairable. However, it may not be worth the effort - you won't know untill you start tearing into it and once you start there is no turning back.

Since your Forum Name is "workinwood" I assume you probably do some sort of carpentry or woodworking so you are likely more qualified than the average RV repair person to tackle the job.

Winnebago should be able to give you assistance on construction materials and techniques.

Here's a link to the factory brochure for your '96. It states aluminum framework.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...Winnie-bro.pdf

Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of folks have ripped open a wall or floor and made major rebuilds of older RVs. Look at some of the threads in the Vintage section. There are threads posted with photos and some beautiful workmanship.

Once you get it open and can find the source of the leaks, fix them before proceeding with the interior. You can use regular paneling from the box stores or get some more like what is in the RV from an Rv dealer.

The big problem will be if the side walls are delaminated....expensive and difficult to repair.

Ken
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Update, I went an pickup the rv from the rv shop. Due to the separation of the roof and the side. panel a little bit for about a foot in the center of the rv, Decide to stay close to home and cancel our trip across the cascade mountains and into Idaho in July. Due to not sure if it would cause more damage, I filled the gap with dicor to keep moisture out. Figure with my wood working skills that next summer I will attempt to fix it myself, so come winter I will Keep the rv covered.
Your comment and suggestion are welcome, I am a beginner at rving and never have taken this rv out since we have inherited it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Take it out.
Try to avoid bad weather, and no long trips, but nothing to lose by using it.
You may find:
Camping sucks.
Or camping is great.
Or this ole thing ain't as bad as i was told.
Or camping is so great i'm gonna spend a zillion dollars on a new rig.

Go camping. Its the only way.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JimM68

You said don't go on a long trip. What do you classify a long trip? Would that be 500 miles one way ? Due to we have a trip schedule to silver wood theme park in Idaho. And over the cascade mountains in July.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have repaired 2 campers and 1, 5th wheel and a class c with rot. In my experience, you always find more rot than you first thought there would be. If it is wood framed, you will be replacing that too. The class c I did, I thought it was just one corner, but it turned out being the whole back,one hole side and half the other side and roof. I had a big shop to work in, and would not consider a job like that without a covered place to do it. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I fixed rot in the front, the back and the lower sides of my fiver. It took me two years total, and I worked on one section at a time. When I opened up the rear of the fiver, I found I had to replace most of the wood framework, but in replacing it I added more support and provisions for a future ladder to the roof and an outdoor shower. I also added wiring for a rear camera and backup lights, the installation looks like it was factory installed. I also used galvanized strapping and screws instead of staples to join sections together. The wood below the floor level was made of OSB, I replaced that wood with marine plywood. The fiver is actually in better shape now than it was when it left the factory. You can do the same. Take your time and do it right. It's a lot cheaper than a new rig, and you will know how it is put together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #11

By the time you're doen you will be an expert in delamination repair. It can be fixed and come out nice. Lot's of different techniques and materials are used.

Stopping water entry is the first step, then deciding how deep you wnat to dig. I like an epoxy from Composet Products L.L.C. I use it to strengthen soft or rotten. You can also pir into the wall.
www.delamrepair.com

Most likley the repair will require using a few different products.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68
Take it out.
Try to avoid bad weather, and no long trips, but nothing to lose by using it.
You may find:
Camping sucks.
Or camping is great.
Or this ole thing ain't as bad as i was told.
Or camping is so great i'm gonna spend a zillion dollars on a new rig.

Go camping. Its the only way.
Well JimM68. Took out MH for the first time with our five year old grandson, just him a nd I. Everything went well, it was a Blast did some fishing, walking, oh and wrestling. I am not use to all the walking a little sore. Got to dump the tanks, think the gauges need cleaning, due to having to dump twice in three days, was very conservative since we were boondockig in a state park. And the bathroom sink. Has a major leak, I am thinking it is a loose fitting. Or I am hoping that's all it is. MH has a factory installed 200 watt inverter in it for TV and etc. What a pain having to shut it off every time we were done watching DVD on the TV, is it really vital to shut it off, can't I just leave it on and shut the TV off. Cause I would not be using the inverter unless something is on. Correct. Grandson was very upset when we had to leave, and said papa we got to do this more just you me, I AM HOOKED, IT WAS AWESOME. that bathroom needs to be larger, its worth then the aircraft bathrooms, I am 6'2" 245 it is a task. lmao.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinwood View Post
Well JimM68. Took out MH for the first time with our five year old grandson, just him a nd I. Everything went well, it was a Blast did some fishing, walking, oh and wrestling. I am not use to all the walking a little sore. Got to dump the tanks, think the gauges need cleaning, due to having to dump twice in three days, was very conservative since we were boondockig in a state park. And the bathroom sink. Has a major leak, I am thinking it is a loose fitting. Or I am hoping that's all it is. MH has a factory installed 200 watt inverter in it for TV and etc. What a pain having to shut it off every time we were done watching DVD on the TV, is it really vital to shut it off, can't I just leave it on and shut the TV off. Cause I would not be using the inverter unless something is on. Correct. Grandson was very upset when we had to leave, and said papa we got to do this more just you me, I AM HOOKED, IT WAS AWESOME. that bathroom needs to be larger, its worth then the aircraft bathrooms, I am 6'2" 245 it is a task. lmao.
Nice story, that's what it's all about!! Enjoy.