Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Just went out and checked air pressure - lst time this year 'cause I just took it out of hibernation. I'm 78 lbs front and 85 on the rears. My replay to Fred included my current weight as: Front - 6980, and Rear 13,580.
These weights are, as a percent of the axle rating: Front - 77%, AND Rear - 84%.
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Axle ratings are from Cedric Lequater @ Workhorse (248.219.2730) whom I THOT was going to work with me to resolve my displease with the ride characteristics. That was last Summer. No results. He was going to talk to Winnebago. No results. Winnebago knows nothing. Workhorse (Cedric) gave me NO incentive to go forward with air suspension of ANYkind. NOW, after talking with KONI headquarters in Ky., I've come to three more deadends: KONI has NO dealers/installers in this part of the world - Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri. The nice Koni lady referred me to MOTLEY Repair (get the name?) in OK City. They'd never heard of KONI. They referred me to SuperFleet (or something similar) in OK City. The guy was almost rude. "A shock is a shock, is a shock . . .they're all alike, 'n' they all do the same thing - stop the bounce." Never heard of Koni, and ". . .wouldn't put 'em on even if we could get 'em." - which they can't. Alright everyone - WHAT NEXT???
Old 03-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you're dealing with "trailing edge technologist"

If you contact Brazels they will set you up with Koni's, and then you can take them any where and have them installed.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You also might want to try these people:

Camping World of
Oklahoma City, OK
7110 W Reno Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73127
Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Can I get Koni at Camping World? I know they're kinda the Wal-Mart of the rv world. The nice lady I talked to today at Koni said nothing about CW. AND . . .can I get them installed there? I got the distinct impression that Koni is rather "protective" of who handles their stuff. Fine. I'd just like a turnkey operation that gives me some sense of confidence that I've got the right stuff, and that the job will be done correctly. I don't need anybody experimenting on my machine. . . including me. I am NOT about to remove the Bilsteins and install the Konis myself. I guess I'll see what Brazel can offer up.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Streamerman:
Sounds like you're dealing with "trailing edge technologist"

If you contact Brazels they will set you up with Koni's, and then you can take them any where and have them installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ANYWHERE? Please . . .I'm in Topeka, Ks. You know - the Land of Oz, Dorothy, Toto and the boys. I'm running into th same old problem: Just because a joint services Workhorse chassis', when you tell 'em it's under a Winnebago MH, all of a sudden it's untouchable, persona non grata, and they back off, big time.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by groundpilot:
Can I get Koni at Camping World? . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have not seen them in their catalog nor do I think they have SKU'd the product. Best bet is to buy from a reputable source and have them installed by your favorite service center. It's basically a straight forward task. The process works a lot better with air tools.

Mike B at Brazel's is waiting for your call.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry Ground Pilot.
Misunderstood, thought you were in Oklahoma.

No, Camping World does not stock them but, they could change them. But to no avail, there is no CW in Oz Land either.

I have Monroe Gas Magnums and am at 89% and 96% weight capacity. These shocks work ok, at least better than the old black Monroes that came on it.

If I had it to do over again I would put on the Koni shocks after reading the positive comments on this forum.

Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by groundpilot:
Currently, weights are as follows:
Front - 6890 RATED @ 9K OR 77% of Capacity
Rear - 13,580 RATED @ 16K OR 84 % OF Capacity

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My W24 weighs 22900# with full, water, propane and gas. Front 7720# Rear 15180#

I use 95# in the front and 95# in the rear.

Your weights look like a completely empty coach.

You should not think about changing shocks until you get your tire pressures set for your weight.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's another example of a 38R model on a W24:
Last Weigh-in,

<LI>Front Axle - 7,400 Lbs, 105 Psi.

<LI>Rear Axle - 15,500 Lbs, 95 Psi.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #25

Be careful what you wish for. A softer ride may mean sloppy handling. I have a 2005 W22 chassis that rides very well but has sloppy handling. I would trade some of my good ride for a little better handling.
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #26

Our 2005 Winnebago, 38-J is marvellous machine. But the ride is INTOLERABLE. We've got just over 10K miles on it and I'm surprised we haven't broken something serious. Workhorse suggesed I weigh it down with . . .get this, SANDBAGS. I've weighed all four corners, and according to the Michelin inflation chart I'm now at the MINIMUM air pressure. I want a cure. I want an air suspension system that WORKS on THIS chassis. Winnebago is NO HELP. I can not believe that they are unaware of the hard ride problem. I am NOT the only Adventurer owner that has this complaint. I want - no, I need an answer. Mor Ride (rubber leaf springs)may work, but they have not responded. Somebody knows what to do. I've deadended so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way that the Parabolic Springs work, requires that they suffer no friction between the leafs. I addressed my ride quality issues by greasing the springs where they contact one another. Put your Coach up on the Levelers to spread the springs and the shiny places will show you the contact points. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic grease and a plastic butter knife to push the grease in there..don't use your finger!!! This greatly improved the overall ride quality and I wanted more. I then installed the RV Gas Magnum Shocks by Monroe.
My Coach now rides like a big ol' Caddie, with no boundering...95 PSI tire pressure all around.
Toyo 19.5 tires...Davis Tru-Track front bar, w/ OE square tubing sway bar, and OE round bar rear sway bar w/good OE rubber bushings...

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Does your front ride rough??
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope.

3,900 LF
3,500 RF

I have no problem with 105 PSI, personally.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can I get Koni at Camping World? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I did. They had to special order them but they can and will upon request.