Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Winter Storage Questions

Being a newbie I have some questions concerning winter storage. My motorhome will be stored outside at a storage facility. Any personal advice on the following questions is greatly appreciated:

Battery storage - I plan on removing the two deep cycle batteries and charging them over the winter. Is there anything I should be aware of when doing this? I am assuming this is pretty basic but being a newbie what may seem obvious to the seasoned rv'er may not be to me.

Also is there anything done specifically to maintain the generator over the winter?

Concerning RV covers, I plan on covering my tires and I would like to know the pros and cons of covering the whole RV. I have read where some rv'ers do and some do not. Personal opinions would be welcomed.

Finally what methods have you found to be most effective in preventing mice during the winter.

As always thanks in advance for all input.
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Z View Post
Being a newbie I have some questions concerning winter storage. My motorhome will be stored outside at a storage facility. Any personal advice on the following questions is greatly appreciated:
Battery storage - I plan on removing the two deep cycle batteries and charging them over the winter. Is there anything I should be aware of when doing this? I am assuming this is pretty basic but being a newbie what may seem obvious to the seasoned rv'er may not be to me.
Also is there anything done specifically to maintain the generator over the winter?
Concerning RV covers, I plan on covering my tires and I would like to know the pros and cons of covering the whole RV. I have read where some rv'ers do and some do not. Personal opinions would be welcomed.
Finally what methods have you found to be most effective in preventing mice during the winter.
As always thanks in advance for all input.
Frankie Z

Battery storage...be sure you label and make a drawing, (or take a picture of), the wires and cables before you disconnect them, (to use as a guide when reconnecting them).

RV covers....are a PITA to put on and remove, and can damage your RV if not secured properly.

Generators....are supposed to be exersized once a month but I don't know many RVers do that.

Mice...one word... D-CON!

My coach has been stored outside, winterized, uncovered, with the batteries in it, (with 15A shore power to keep the batteries charged), for parts of 14 Wisconsin winters, (where temps often drop to 20 degrees F below 0).

Mel
'96 Safari, 133k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

with batteries no need to remove them make sure they are fully charged and disconnect post from battery because you might have a small draw of power from where ever which will drain your batteries and they will freeze and crack happened to me our winters are-45 below.
as for mice don't leave any food around and put bounce dryer sheets all over floor ,drawers ,engine compartment and try not to be on grass,also put rat poison inside the unit also in dishes preferably warfin poison very effective,you can never over compensate with mice,my experience the poison was never touched and no mice.
as covering your rv yes it doesn't hurt.mine is a 40 fft went to home depot and got a cheap tarp which I used for2 years,make sure you tie it down really well otherwise it will tear.
last thing put lot's of rv anti freeze in lines,i would advise you to let a dealer do it if youknow how that's fine,this is very critical but quite easy to do

anyways good luck
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter