Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #1

Thought I'd see if there are any practitioners of the blow out method instead of the pink stuff - specifically as it relates to certain appliances.

Method - Remove all water filters and then apply compressed air at 40-50psi to the RV water inlet. Open all faucets and commode until clear air. Pour a cup or so of pink stuff in each drain. Of course open the low point drains as well.

HydroHot unit - any further action needed?

Maytag washing machine (not combo unit) - run a fill cycle on both hot and cold until clear air. Add a couple cups of pink stuff inside the machine and run a brief drain cycle. Anything more?

FisherPaykel dishwasher - run a fill cycle until clear air. Add a couple cups of pink stuff to the bottom of the dish drawer and run a brief drain cycle. Anything more?

Norcold Ice Maker - No choice here but to disconnect the water feed line and blow out and then disconnect both the ice maker and the ice water lines from the controller solenoid and completely drain. Leave all lines disconnected.

Any thoughts, particularly any experience with these methods would be helpful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #2

Thought I'd see if there are any practitioners of the blow out method instead of the pink stuff - specifically as it relates to certain appliances.

Method - Remove all water filters and then apply compressed air at 40-50psi to the RV water inlet. Open all faucets and commode until clear air. Pour a cup or so of pink stuff in each drain. Of course open the low point drains as well.

HydroHot unit - any further action needed?

Maytag washing machine (not combo unit) - run a fill cycle on both hot and cold until clear air. Add a couple cups of pink stuff inside the machine and run a brief drain cycle. Anything more?

FisherPaykel dishwasher - run a fill cycle until clear air. Add a couple cups of pink stuff to the bottom of the dish drawer and run a brief drain cycle. Anything more?

Norcold Ice Maker - No choice here but to disconnect the water feed line and blow out and then disconnect both the ice maker and the ice water lines from the controller solenoid and completely drain. Leave all lines disconnected.

Any thoughts, particularly any experience with these methods would be helpful.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #3

On a previous MH, a Winnebago Superchief, the manual said to just blow the water lines out which I did in a addition to draining the water heater. It worked fine. On my current Ultrasport DP I do the combination of blowing the lines out with air and then drawing antifreeze into all of the lines until I see the pink color. There will always be some water left in the lines and if the lines don't always angle downward toward the low point drain then there will be a pool of water at some point. The Ultrasport manual doesn't say I can just blow the lines out, so I follow the blow out with the pink stuff. I winterize just once each winter so it isn't that much trouble or expense. If you wanted to use your MH in the winter the repeated winterization would be an issue if doing more than the blow out. Some have heated basements and keep the heat on all winter and don't winterize at all.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Up in Wisconsin we've seen too many Rvs that have had issues with freezing after blowing out. The pink antifreeze is the safe bet. You may get away with it in a warmer climate but it doesn't always work up here.

The main reasoning is that air tend to bypass some of the water in the lines. This condensate tends to settle out and collect in a low point of the system. That may be a water line or it may be an expensive component. Then, when it feeezes, things crack and get damaged and in the spring you'll have leaks to repair.

When you use antifreeze, the pink stuff pushes the water out of the lines without bypassing the water. You will have pink stuff "condensing" in the lines and it too will settle out but it won't freeze, expand, or cause any damage.

My choice is to blow it out first, then follow with the pink stuff. Then, after that's all done, I blow the pink stuff out. That keeps the pink stuff from leaving a bitter taste in the water system when you first dewinterize in the spring. You can't blow all of the pink stuff out (just like the water), but what remains won't harm anything.

For what it's worth, Vehicle Systems does not recommend blowing out the HydroHot. They recommend the anitfreeze method. There's too many twists and turns in the domestic water coil and related valves that trend to trap water and freeze if you just blow them out.

As to the dishwasher and washer-dryer - I just begin a cycle that lets them fill. Once the antifreeze is into the system I cancel the cycle and the go to a spin or drain cycle to evacuate the antifreeze and flush it through the traps.

There is another choice on the Norcold icemaker that my dealership showed me. Rather than disconnect the lines and let them hang I made up a short 120 volt cord with two female wire terminals on the end. Then you simply remove the two wires from the icemaker's solenoid valve and connect this cord to it. Then you pressurize the system with air and plug the cord into the outlet behind the fridge. That'll open the solenoid valve and spit everything out. It helps to have a towel in the freezer when you do this to help soak up the spray. Once you're done, reconnect the two wires to the solenoid valve and close the petcock that feeds the fridge. Then go ahead and do your antifreeze thing to the rest of the coach.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #5

I've been using the blowout method here in IA where we have lots of sub-zero weather, on three different motorhomes over the last 20 years with no problems. The only difference from your method outlined is that I open each faucet one at a time till air runs clear. I do the outside shower outlet last. I don't have a washer or diswasher so no experience with them, but what you describe would seem to be the thing to do.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been using the blowout method here in IA where we have lots of sub-zero weather, on three different motorhomes over the last 20 years with no problems. The only difference from your method outlined is that I open each faucet one at a time till air runs clear. I do the outside shower outlet last. I don't have a washer or diswasher so no experience with them, but what you describe would seem to be the thing to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">That's what we do too...one faucet at a time. We also put some pink stuff in the black and gray tanks. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Wow, I'm new to this and I was just leaving my RV hooked up to a 50 amp service with the heat set at 55 degree. I've got my bay heaters set at that also. I've got the aqua-hot system so I just turn on the 110 switch and let it run. I'm in Virginia so we don't get the really bad cold snaps as a rule, but we do get some days where it might get down in the teens, at that time I just hit the diesel switch and let both run.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #8

cb: Using just the 110v is a great plan, except AquaHot only uses a single 1,000 to 1,500 watt electric heating element. That's the same amount of heat a heat cube in the house can produce. I'll bet that 110v only approach will only give you less than a 15 degree delta temp between the inside and outside temps. The AquaHot will continually shut down the interior fans due to a low-temp condition to allow the AquaHot electric unit to catch up before turning the fans back on. Nothing damaging at all, just at 1,500 watts there ain't gonna be much heat... Hence your plan of adding the diesel when in the teens is spot on. At 20 outside plus a 15 degree boost and you just make it to maybe 35 inside.

My Essex will only pull about 10-15degree temp rise from the outside on 110v only. The Oasis hydronic system uses about 3,000 watts of electric - a much better 110v approach. BTW, no way to add an additional element to the little AquaHot units we have.

PS: I am over in Richmond..
Old 11-29-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey RV Dude, I have used the blow out method on two rigs for a total of 13 winters and so far knock on wood no problems !! I also put a little bit of pink stuff in all drains, both black & grey tanks, plus I leave a little in toilet to keep seal on flapper from drying out. However I want to say I do not have washer, ice maker or dishwasher, but what you said about them makes sense to me !! Good Luck
Old 12-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Blow out methods. But use the pink stuff in drains,and washer
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For those of us with memory problems, Robin has an excellent checklist for both the air and antifreeze method and posted it on the Monaco owners board. Good piece of work

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #12

I don't believe you can get 100% of the water droplets out of the system with a blow out. Any vertical pipe those droplets will eventually migrate down to an elbow. This will pool and could freeze, it fact it will freeze in a prolonged cold spell. A broken pipe in the middle of your coach is going to be expensive. A little pink stuff in the lines is great insurance against a freeze up. It is not difficult or time consuming to flush the system, if one needs to use the rig in the winter. Besides you will probably still need the pink stuff unless you are headed to warmer climes. I do both and have for 40 years now.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
For those of us with memory problems, Robin has an excellent checklist for both the air and antifreeze method and posted it on the Monaco owners board. Good piece of work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

6pack: I looked for this and could not find it. Can you post a link to it please?