Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #1

I am new to the forum and new to motorhomes after pulling a travel trailer for several years. I have always winterized my trailers with compressed air and using antifreeze in the bottom of the gray and black tanks plus the sink traps. While replacing the shower head and mixing valve in my 2000 Adventurer 35U, I removed the large panel on the shower wall to expose the shower plumbing. I was surprised to see water in the horizontal piping after I had supposedly blown out the water. I now wonder if this has been the case all these years I have been using compressed air or that this is unique with my motorhome plumbing.

Has anyone experienced plumbing failure due to freezing after winterizing with compressed air?

2000 Adventurer 35U (Ford V10)
herbhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #2

I am new to the forum and new to motorhomes after pulling a travel trailer for several years. I have always winterized my trailers with compressed air and using antifreeze in the bottom of the gray and black tanks plus the sink traps. While replacing the shower head and mixing valve in my 2000 Adventurer 35U, I removed the large panel on the shower wall to expose the shower plumbing. I was surprised to see water in the horizontal piping after I had supposedly blown out the water. I now wonder if this has been the case all these years I have been using compressed air or that this is unique with my motorhome plumbing.

Has anyone experienced plumbing failure due to freezing after winterizing with compressed air?

2000 Adventurer 35U (Ford V10)
herbhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 AM   #3

I had a 2000 35U until last year when I bought a new motorhome. I always winterized with the "pink stuff" and never had a problem. I've owned motorhomes off and on for over 36 years and never used compressed air to winterize--that's not to say that the compressed air method is bad, only I feel more comfortable with the "pink stuff"
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #4

As a newcomer to RV's for only 5 yrs now.
We only use the pink stuff also put it in the fresh water tank and run through the system. Never had a problem yet.

P.S.
we do drain the water heater also

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #5

I've also always used the pink stuff. It takes almost two gallon pulled into the suction side of the water pump (bi-pass valve installed)to do our Bounder. I've never put any antifreeze into the water heater or holding tanks. I just drain and leave the valves open. I put about a cup+ in all the traps, though. Winter temp has been as low as -10 F with no damage. The washer/dryer required almost another gallon and was a pain. Thankfully the DW wanted more storage and asked me to take it out. Danny
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #6

Hi Herb,

I have been winterizing motorhomes for 14 years and have never had a problem with a broken pipe (knock on wood). I do what you have done with the trailer. Drain all the lines, holding tanks, water heater, remove water filter under sink and blow out all the lines. I then ad pink stuff to the holding tanks and traps. I feel running the pink stuff through the lines is OK, but overkill. I am trying a new way to winterize this year, after I retire in 30 days I plan to head south!!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote