Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Winterizing????????

I'm in New York and have my RV in Pa I paid a guy to winterize it last week and he hasn't gotten around to it yet. The weather has been on the edge of freezing down to 28 at night. Had I known he was not going to get to it immediately, which he promised, I would have made the trip and done it myself. How much trouble am I in?????
On top of that I spent $35 fed exing him my keys.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the temps get above freezing and stay there most of the day then no problem. If they stay below freezing for a day or so then you could have problems and even then it depends on the insulation in your rig.
It's got down to 30° inside one of our bays when I got up this morning about 9:30, in an hour it was above freezing.
Forecast here is for 20° tonight and for the next couple nights too and getting up to 34° during the day. I went out and pout some fans and three heaters going. One is a little 200 watt one that I put in the wet bay. I also add a couple fans blowing into the cabinets for the washer/dryer unit and sink. That's about all I need to do with ours other than open the low point drains.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes!!

I live in TN and didn't winterize the RV until today because we are leaving in early December.

I had a heater in both the upstairs and basement operating off a thermostat plug that kicks in at ~38 F. I also had the 300 watt 12VDC in the wet bay running.stairs and downstairs. I had remote temp monitors upstairs and in the basement.

Last night the temp got down to ~19F outside and the upstairs in the RV was 28, downstairs was 32.

I decided that to be safe I'd winterize so today I drained and blew all the lines. None of the lines were frozen but I did find ice in the drain of the washer/dryer.

The problem is that the RV will hold the cold just as much as the heat, especially since there isn't much sun these days.

I'd be on the phone to get your RV winterized ASAP and not take any chances.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are going to do it yourself start up all of the heaters you have. There is probably ice in some of the lines underneath and they will not thaw out during the day.

You should be good as there will be ice but if it has not been too cold the ice will not have started expanding much.

Get it done ASAP as it will not be getting warmer for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies, I have the rig in storage without either a generator or electric, He's there now, should I just ask him to start the engine and run the heater? It is going up to 54 degrees today and last night the low was 32.
If anything was damaged should I expect a leak in the plumbing when anti freeze goes in?
Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Doubt anything was frozen hard enough to cause damage. If there is damage it will leak. Since the system will not be under pressure the amount of leaking would most likely be a few drops.

If you are concerned next spring take a look everywhere you can to check out the lines (in the cupboard, bays, etc) and look for pink spots.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

Temps dropping to 28degs for a few hours will not do any harm....

Temps must stay under freezing....or hoover around freezing as a high
Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #8

Thanks again everyone, I feel a huge load off me, I will be heading south around the middle of Dec to be with friends for Christmas and New years and if everything holds together I will probably head into Mexico. This will be my shakedown cruise.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mexico - take suntan lotion.

Tags
winter