Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,
This is my first winter with my 22 ft BT Crusier.
I have been through the manuals and under all of the access panels. I found the low water drains and hot water tank drain plug but no shut off for the hot water tank inlet line.
Other than the cost of the anti freeze is there any reason that I can t winterize by draining the lines and tanks and then re fill the system with anti freeze by putting the anti freeze into my gravity feed fresh water tank and pumping it through the system with the water pump? It is a 2007 and the intake to the water pump is in a tough place to get at, and I did not want to cut the plumbing to install a shut off. I would like to keep it simple.
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #2

Hi Everyone,
This is my first winter with my 22 ft BT Crusier.
I have been through the manuals and under all of the access panels. I found the low water drains and hot water tank drain plug but no shut off for the hot water tank inlet line.
Other than the cost of the anti freeze is there any reason that I can t winterize by draining the lines and tanks and then re fill the system with anti freeze by putting the anti freeze into my gravity feed fresh water tank and pumping it through the system with the water pump? It is a 2007 and the intake to the water pump is in a tough place to get at, and I did not want to cut the plumbing to install a shut off. I would like to keep it simple.
Don

Old 10-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #3

Don, as you have said, other than the cost of the pink antifreeze, no reason why you can't run it into your hot water heater. Make sure you get enough in there (full?) so as to run it thru your hot water lines to all fixtures.

Don't forget the traps and outside shower (if you have one).

Most coaches today have a bypass in the hot water tank so you don't need to fill it with antifreeze (still needs to be drained).

Does your coach manufacturer have a technical support line you can call to find out? If not, they can be installed by your dealer.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Thanks Pusherman,
I have read a lot of the online instructions for winterizing and know it is not necessarily difficult but not having done it before it is nice to have someone to pass ones questions by.
It seems that a lot of people do a lot of modifications to their rigs to avoid the cost of extra anti freeze. Until I am more confortable with it I would like to keep it simple.
Don
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
paz

Don, what year is your BT Cruiser? According to the 2007 brochure available on their web site, a hot water heater by-pass is standard. You may want to call the dealer to check. The by-pass in our old travel trailer consisted of 3 valves right at the tank, but the by-pass our current motorhome is a single valve located in the fresh water compartment.

If you don't have a by-pass, you may want to consider adding one. In addition to the cost of antifreeze (I'm guessing you have a 6 gal. hot water tank), it will take a extra time to purge the hot water tank after you drain the antifreeze in the spring.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #6

Hi Paz,
Mine is a 2007 BT Crusier,22 footer.
I removed the access panel in the cabinet under the sink to find the water pump and two low water valves. I then cut a 10 by 12 inch hole in the side of the same cabinet interior to create another access to the back of the water heater. From this home made access I can see the hot water out and cold water into the water tank but do not see any valves on any of the lines.
I might not know what I am looking for/or at but will be back under there sometime latter this week when I get a chance
Is the valve I am looking for any more than just a ball valve in the cold water line?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
paz

Don, the by-pass in out TT was right at the water heater. They were 1/4 turn ball valves (inexpensive plastic ones) on the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet within a few inches of the water heater. There was a cross pipe running between the inlet and outlet a little bit upstream of the other 2 valves. To by-pass, you shut off the inlet and the outlet valves and opened the valve on the cross pipe.

The by-pass on our current motorhome is a 1/4 turn ball valve with 4 pipes coming out of it. It is mounted on a panel in the water compartment, which is at least 5 or 6 feet from the water heater. The valve is clearly labeled "Water Heater Bypass" and "Manufactured by Lakewood RV Supply." It's possible you have a similar valve, but that it's not labeled.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #8

New to this forum, but I have a 2008 BT Cruiser.
I contacted Gulfstream and they sent a detailed procedure.
I can send it if you give me you e-mail address.
happy camping