Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Winterizing

Good morning all. I have just purchased a used class c motor home that made it's home in Arizona and I am based out of Phoenix. This year I have driven it home to NY.
I am going to want to winterize it as I don't plan to head south/west until after christmas.
At the moment I have the fresh water tank full and there is a by pass valve and I have found the location. Would someone be kind enough to explain how to winterize. I usually leave the motor home 6 months a year and don't see it for another 6 months so I basically need to relearn all and by the time everything is mastered it's time to leave again.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A couple of strategies folks use, I've done both successfully. One, open all low point drains and allow water to drain. Remove the drain plug from the water heater (access outside, through cover) Turn water heater bypass to bypass (winterize) setting. See if your water system has a valve to allow suction by the pump to draw from RV antifreeze jugs. If so, stick the hose in the jug and turn on the pump. Go to each faucet and turn on cold faucet until pink antifreeze shows. Turn off, then turn on hot and do the same. Do this at each fixture in your RV, including shower and toilet. If you have a sprayer at the toilet, make sure it also runs 'pink'.

The other method is to blow the lines all empty with compressed air. You'll need a fitting to screw on the city water opening and hook an air line to the fitting (available at Amazon, Walmart, RV stores) Use less than 40 psi and pressurize system, opening faucets as above, blowing until only air comes through the lines. You'll still need a gallon of RV antifreeze to fill the drain traps to prevent them from freezing. Many videos and "How to" on the interwebs, just Google to find more detailed instructions.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
X2 for above.

After all the water is drained from your hot water tank.....put the plug back in
ONLY ONE TURN. This stops mice, bugs, etc. from finding a winter home.
It also allows any final drips to work their way out. It will also remind you to tighten
in Spring.
If you have an outside shower....make sure you put antifreeze through both lines,

Antifreeze down all sinks, shower, and toilet. This protects all the traps.
I also dump one gallon down the toilet to coat the bottom of the black tank and also
to replace any water still in the valve.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

Also remember that if you have a water filter, to remove the filter. One of the Class C's that we had, also had a 'by pass' for the water filter. If you have an ice maker, do not forget to clear all of the water out of it.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

Thanks everyone, I actually think I've got this. I will wait a few more weeks but it's a whole lot easier than I thought it would be. I have no compressor nor electric and I will go south before it gets very cold so I'm not petrified about making a mistake.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Buy your RV antifreeze now, it gets hard to find later in the season. Also, if you pump the antifreeze through the system, it will be added to the traps and you won't have to add more to the drains.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter