Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
winterizing ice maker

How do I drain the water out of the icemaker lines? Everything I read tells me to unhook the two lines from solenoid and drain water from lines. I assume the line leading up to the icemaker would automatically drain via gravity but what about the line that goes south?

thanks

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #2

My dealer did it by, making a jumper to plug into 110volt and clips on the other end. While system is pressurized with anti freeze he touched the power cord clips,to the soliniod, and in went the anti freeze to the ice maker. Just flush it in the spring as you do the rest of the water lines.

Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I never drained mine. I just blew them out. The icemaker solenoid is a 120 volt solenoid. Generally the fridge plugs into a receptacle that is not powered by the inverter while the icemaker plugs into another outlet that is powered by the inverter. That way you can make ice while driving ( as long as the water pump is on).

The ice maker water control solenoid has two wiring connections and those wires are held on via flat female blade terminals. I simply took an old electrical cord and put two female blade terminals on the two wires. Then I removed the two existing wires and connected my whip cord onto the solenoid in their place. Then I pressure ize the water systwem with air during y winterizing procedure and plug in the cord and the air blow all the water out of the lines. It helps to put a towel in the freezer to catch the spray first though.

Then I reconnect the original wires, shut off the water line petcock to the icemaker, wipe out the freezer, and put the cord away until next year.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was thinking with my limited knowledge that I might just let the pink stuff go through the ice maker. I assume if I leave the water pump on that the icemaker will cycle it through?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Steve, you really don't want to put antifreeze into the mold of the ice maker. It won't freeze very well and you will have to get it out to prevent bad tasting ice for quite some time.
Winterize the entire coach first. For the ice maker, all you have to do is have the refrigerator going (normal operating temperatures) put the ice make ice sensing arm all the way up (off). Disconnect the tube that comes out of the ice maker water valve and runs up the back wall of refrigerator. Put the ice sensing arm down and wait for the ice maker to go through a cycle where at the end of the cycle (a few minutes) the water valve is energized and the antifreeze will push the water out and should fill the body of the valve with antifreeze. Look for pink fluid to come out of the water valve. If no antifreeze made it through let the ice maker cycle again. Many of the ice makers can be forced into a cycle by gently forcing the rake (fingers that rotate and push ice out of mold) toward the bucket side of ice maker.
In the spring to de-winterize, have the refrigerator cold connect pump to fresh water and flush out all the lines. put the ice maker through a cycle with the tube coming out of the water valve still off from winterizing and the water will push the antifreeze out. Re-connect the tube to the water valve and you are ready to make ice.
This is a little harder to do than applying 120vac tot eh water valve through a test cord of sorts.

For those that may have the newer 12 volt ice makers and those with water dispensers; DO NOT APPLY 120 volts AC to the coil of the ice makers or water dispenser valves. You can apply 12 vdc to winterize and de-winterize these.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Steve
When you get yours done, don't forget to do mine
Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the supply valve to the ice maker is open (Assuming it exists) then when you disconnect it from the solenoid and open the low-point drain it too will drain via gravity.

Or you can blow it out with an air compressor.

ALso, once you do this hook up some compressed air, Even if it's only a balloon, to the solenoid, (Just blow up a balloon and snap the filler neck over the inlet or outlet, if you do the inlet turn the solenoid upside down) cycle the Ice Maker manually a couple of times by removing the front and turning the gears in the direction of the arrow.

This will blow the water out of the solenid

If you use a higher pressure air source (Compressor with a 40PSI regulator for example) no need to remove the solenoid and turn upside down

A short piece of tubing, hooked to the inlet, start the cycle and use a tire chuck on the air hose,, Should work,, but keep the pressure down to aroudn 40-50 PSI please.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I just did mine yesterday. I close everything and disconnect the ice maker lines then blow out the feed from under the sink to the solenoid hooked the compresser up to the city water feed with pressure regulated to about 35 lbs. While air is going through the lines I turn off the ice maker water valve under the sink. After that I blow out the line going up to the freezer. I turn the solenoid upside down to drain it. One year I didn't and I needed a new solenoid come spring.

Dick
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Personally, I don't care for the dry method of winterizing a coach. If you have ever been connected to a water source that had some mineral or other deposits, the scale left on the pipe walls can flake off and clog fixtures and solenoid valve bodies. Also if a low point in the plumbing collects droplets of water to the point of filling fitting, it could freeze and break it. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this style for those that do it; I just prefer the wet method for myself.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tips guys. And yes I will go yours next EJVO ( Dad)
Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto on the dry method. I initially use air to purge most of the water from the system. But, I've seen too many cases where water has condensed and setled in the lines at a low point and caused damage. That's because the air tends to bypass the water and still leave water droplets clinging to the walls of pipes, etc. Whereas antifreeze tends to push the water out and doesn't bypass it.

The drawback to antifreeze is that it leaves a bitter taste. So, I use air to initially purge the system, then follow up with the antifreeze. Once that's done I use air to blow the antifreeze iout of the system. Naturally, the air tends to bypass some of the antifreeze, just like it would if it was water. But the condensed antifreeze droplets that settle out won't freeze and damage anything, unlike water. The benefits of blowing the antifreeze out rather than leaving it in there is that the antifreeze doesn't eat into the water lines and leave that bitter taste to deal with every spring. It's a bit extra work but the results are worth it because my spring dewinterizing goes that much faster.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Can't you just drain the icemaker line? If it freezes in the icemaker it shouldn't hurt it- it's froze anyway.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
Can't you just drain the icemaker line? If it freezes in the icemaker it shouldn't hurt it- it's froze anyway.
When you disconnect the ice maker water line that goes up the back wall of the refrigerator, the water will run out as the top end is open and it will gravity drain. The problem is that you still have water in the solenoid valve. This will freeze and break the body of the valve and needs to be flushed out.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Your right. I just don't want to put anti-freeze up into icemaker tray. I also have an in-the-door water dispenser. Does that fill the plastic holding tank from the bottom so when I drain that line it will empty? can't see inlet and outlet from inside.

Thanks for the input

Norcold 1200