Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Winterizing my motorhome

I just bought a 1992 country coach affinity and i live in Michigan and won't be retiring till the end of december. We'll be heading for Texas then to see our daughter in Dallas. What do i need to do before then so no water line freeze? How do i go about getting it prepared before i go south? I and my wife are new to this and hope to become full-time at rving. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Russ & Sandy
sanrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

Hope this helps.

RV Winterizing….Blowing Out the Lines Method.
You will need an air compressor or some source of air with an air hose.
An air hose chuck.
A water inlet / air adapter.
And less then a gal. of RV antifreeze.
1. Drain fresh water tank, close valve.
2. Drain hot water heater replace drain plug.
3. Dump and (flush if possible) both black and gray water holding tanks, leave gray water valve open.
4. Screw compressed air adaptor into the fresh water inlet. The adapter is available from Camping World or most RV dealers.
5. Apply compressed air, keeping the pressure at 30 PSI but less than 40 PSI. You may need someone to hold the air hose on the adapter.
6. Open then close each faucet, hot and cold, one valve at a time, allowing the compressed air to force the water out of the line. Don't forget the shower and toilet and outside shower. Open both low point drains and close.
7. Remove the drain plug from the hot water tank and allow the compressed air to blow out the remaining water. Reinstall drain plug.
8. Remove the compressed air source and adapter. 9. Close gray tank valve.
10. Pour a few cups of RV antifreeze down each drain and toilet.
11. You’re done.

lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
thanks for the advice and tips. looking forward to rving full-time and my wife and i are excited about seeing america at a slower pace. thanks again from sandy and russ
sanrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a washer/dryer or a dishwasher? You may need to give attention to them as well.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #5

If you have an ice makers they require special attention too

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #6

I will give you some hints about your travel but I need to know the answers to three questions ..
  1. Does a 1992 Infinity have a diesel or gas engine?
  2. Is it parked where you can plug it into 120V ac before you get ready to leave?
  3. Are your batteries (both house and chassis) holding a charge?

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #7

Welcome

I follow the steps as described by lostagain, but I also follow up with some RV antifreeze in the waterlines to take care of any residual water in them. It may be like wearing suspenders with a belt but I feel better knowing the RV antifreeze is there. I'd hate to have to track down a cracked pipe somewhere in a motorhome come next spring.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote