Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Winterizing Question - Leave it Plugged in or Not???

Please help settle a small discussion we are having in work.---- Is it better to leave your MH plugged in during the winter in order to keep the house and engine batteries charged or pull them and store inside?????

I'm sure there are Good and Bad to each - Your thoughts and recommendations please.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
prndl-

If you search you should find some recent threads on this question. To summarize, it's personal preference.

I stored my motorhome away from my house, and did not want to see batteries ruined should someone else's power go out. So, I charged my batteries in my basement twice over the winter. In my case, no danger of hydrogen gas explosions- they were AGM batteries. The biggest hassle was getting their 68 pounds (each) up and down the stairs.

But, as I said, personal preference.

Mark

Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Agreed, it is personal preference. Myself, I leave mine plugged in to 15 amp service at home (3 stage charger) Has worked for the last 2 not so harsh Canada winters. I top up my distilled water as needed. Pulling my batteries with little mechanical knowledge kind of scares me.
Ted
Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IF you do not have a 3- stage charger do NOT leave them plugged in continually. If you DO have a 3- stage charger, that is where personal preference kicks in. Be aware a dead battery can freeze and burst. That is why sine owners remove them and site in a heated location if not leaving them on a 3- stage charger
Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Heck, I have had all of my RVs plugged in for the last 30 years. 2 stage, 3 stage, makes little difference as long as you check the batteries monthly and top them up with water as necessary. BTW my last set of batteries were 5 years old when I upgraded them to golf carts. They still held a charge just fine, but I was ready for more power since we boon docked a lot.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've been winterizing boats and RV's for the last 25 yrs in cold Canada.

I leave the batteries in the MH or boat and fully charge them and then unplug the negative cables.

In the spring I reconnect the cables and start the generator and run it for 15 20 minutes, then start the Cummins ISL engine.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I leave ours plugged in to keep the batteries warm. I plug in the engine heat the nite before and start the engine and genset every two weeks or so. I let the genset run the heat exs for exercise for 10-15 mins, then shut them off, allow the genset tp stabilize for 1-2 mins, then shut it off. Then unplug the engine heat and shut the engine off. 30 minutes of luv, she likes it, I like it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If exercising the generator I would run it for a minimum of 30 minutes with a good load (heat pump, microwave, etc. As for the engine, it should not be started just to idle, especially if it is a diesel. If you want to properly exercise the engine, take it for a short drive. That also is a great benefit to the tires & drive train bearings. My coach is used almost every month, but if not I never let it sit for more than 6 weeks without at least taking it for a 30 minute or so "love ride".
Old 10-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Please help settle a small discussion we are having in work.---- Is it better to leave your MH plugged in during the winter in order to keep the house and engine batteries charged or pull them and store inside?????

I'm sure there are Good and Bad to each - Your thoughts and recommendations please.

Thanks

We have always kept our RVs plugged it when not in use. We leave the fridge on and the air set to 80 in summer and 50 in winter.

One caution! Keep the batteries checked once a month or so to be sure the water level is good!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Your decision should be based on what is easiest for you to manage batteries. If you do not have AGM batteries, then water management for your batteries could still be a concern. I personally do well with an extension cord from the house, however this week, I get 50 amp service installed in my driveway. With 50 amp service now I will also provide minimum heat on those few cold days here in Alabama. I choose this option due to we still take the coach out twice a month. So your lifestyle and use, again to mention ease should factor in your decision.
So I submit either way you mentioned in you OP might be best for you, but I would choose staying plugged in myself.
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you have a smart charger and very reliable power, leave them plugged in.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I leave my coach plugged in all winter but with the power off at the breaker box in my house. However, once or twice a month I do click the breaker on for a day or two to give the coach batteries a charge. I also have the master 12V switch set to off so I'm not drawing any juice from the batteries. I also have a solar panel on the roof that will send a trickle charge to the batteries. Sometimes I wonder if I even need to flip the breaker on if the solar panel is doing it's job. Guess I should study that more closely
Old 10-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have stored our RV's next to the stick house for 29 years now. Always plugged in with heat in them when it got cold. Never had a problem with batteries, in fact on the 2002 DSDP we traded in in Feb the OEM Interstate U-2200 batteries lasted 10 years and even then were still good enough to go at least overnight.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
If exercising the generator I would run it for a minimum of 30 minutes with a good load (heat pump, microwave, etc. As for the engine, it should not be started just to idle, especially if it is a diesel. If you want to properly exercise the engine, take it for a short drive. That also is a great benefit to the tires & drive train bearings. My coach is used almost every month, but if not I never let it sit for more than 6 weeks without at least taking it for a 30 minute or so "love ride".

Ditto

Tags
winter