RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Wiring From Under MH Into Basement

I'm adding some additional 12v switches to my mh for some accessories and need to pull power from my house batteries into one of the basement compartments. What's the best way to pass thru the basement wall and keep water out of the basement? I will have 1 power supply wire from the 12v disconnect relay to power the fused switches and possibly multiple wires (from multiple accessories) that need to go thru the basement. Is there a good way to do this with 1 passthru or should I do multiple?

I've got the electrical part figured out, just need a passthru into the basement that want leak. I plan to do the passthru at the top of the compartment to keep the wiring out of the way of the stuff stored in the basement.

Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
One thing comes to mind, use rubber eyelets. I used these when drilling through my firewall to lead wires into the cab. They serve two functions. One is to prevent chaffing of the wire against the basement wall, thus preventing a cut wire. The other is a water tight seal. The other item I have used is "foam in a can." This was also used by the MFG when they ran wires from my basement to the house. Hope this helps.

hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #3

Drill hole as high as possible use rubber grommets to protect the wire and use some black rtv for sealing the penetration and forget it.
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the input so far. I was thinking of using grommet and wire loom thru the opening. Hadn't thought of using spray foam.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

Silicone can be used instead of the spray foam too. A bit cleaner, and you don't need to open a whole can of spray foam for a quick shot.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have used squares of Eternabond tape to seal holes such as you describe, Works great
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
I was thinking of using grommet and wire loom thru the opening. Hadn't thought of using spray foam.
Yep. I've installed several new wires in, around and under chassis and that's exactly what I did. Drill hole, insert rubber grommet, put wire loom around wires, push wires thru grommet. Once everything is wired up, I then secured the wiring on both sides of the grommet with a screw fastener and added a drip loop JIC.

Then finally sealed both sides of the grommet where the loom went thru with clear exterior window & door silicone.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Yep. I've installed several new wires in, around and under chassis and that's exactly what I did. Drill hole, insert rubber grommet, put wire loom around wires, push wires thru grommet. Once everything is wired up, I then secured the wiring on both sides of the grommet with a screw fastener and added a drip loop JIC.

Then finally sealed both sides of the grommet where the loom went thru with clear exterior window & door silicone.
same as I do, since I hate spray foam lol
Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I would not put a split or spiral loom through the grommet, but rather on each side of it. The loom itself can serve as a migration path for water. The grommet will serve as both your chafe protection and water stop. Silicone is also a poor choice for sealant. It has little strength and mold loves to grow on it. Two products I won't keep on the coach are silicone and duct tape. There are better performing products to replace both - albeit slightly more expensive.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #10

Interesting that I find this thread. I'm planning to mount my solar controller in the basement and wanted access to run wires when I need for my portable panels (not roof mount).

I was just at Lowes today and decided to buy a 1.25" sink drain, the kind used on a bathroom sink. It is threaded and uses rubber washers to create a water tight seal on the basement compartment wall. I'm using a rubber sink plug to plug it when the solar is not in use.

I'm thinking of putting the drain in the floor instead of the wall, so that if I also store muddy shoes, etc. I can wash out with water pretty easily.

It's an idea.
tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-67-Pontiac-GTO-Lemans-Accessory-Wiring-Pass-through-Firewall-Grommet-Plug-ST1/181585225945?hash=item2a4752a8d9:g:jiUAAOSwEBpaoY1 ~:rk:11f:0

or https://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-BMW-E39-...!-1:rk:24:pf:0

would be waterproof, and cost a lot less than a marine -grade bulkhead grommet. This would also protect the wiring from eventual chaffing and shorting out the battery.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
Interesting that I find this thread. I'm planning to mount my solar controller in the basement and wanted access to run wires when I need for my portable panels (not roof mount).

I was just at Lowes today and decided to buy a 1.25" sink drain, the kind used on a bathroom sink. It is threaded and uses rubber washers to create a water tight seal on the basement compartment wall. I'm using a rubber sink plug to plug it when the solar is not in use.

I'm thinking of putting the drain in the floor instead of the wall, so that if I also store muddy shoes, etc. I can wash out with water pretty easily.

It's an idea.
Are you thinking of putting a pan down for the basement floor to facilitate the wash out too? Even with a drain, don't think it's good to put regular water on the floor. Corrosion and Mold are the concerns.
Yes, I did power wash out the basement of the MA when I rebuilt it that one major time. Just won't do that on a regular basis.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #13

That particular basement compartment has no carpet, it is just plastic. I was thinking I would finish the cleanup by passing a dry towel, getting 100% of the moisture up.
tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #14

Thought I had posted this over a week ago, but the holes are drilled up high and the grommets are in place. Waiting on my switch to come in and then I will pull the wire, install the switch, and seal up the grommets.

Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.

Tags
wiring