Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #1

Cool Wiring RV Generator to supply main house ???

I have a 12.5kw onan in my bus and I have this idea to try and find a way to install a recepticle on the generator and a recepticle at my home breaker box so, that I can send power to my home in case of a power outtage.
Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks
Don
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I sure haven't but I've heard it referenced several times in the past so I'm sure you'll get some input soon.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

yes it will work but GREAT CARE has to be taken to insure all commerical power is disconnected . There is a device which installs onto the house electrical meter and allows you to plug in your generator at the meter. In Virginia they are advertized by the local power company and they are supposed to transfer from commerical to Generator/etc. Of course you would most likely have to manual start generator. Believe that cost installed by power company runs around $1000
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #4

I use a Honda 5500 that sits in my garage as a "whole house" generator in times of power failure, although not automated. I didn't want to go thru the expense of a transfer switch and auto-start generator. My detached garage has 50 amp service from the house. In the garage I have a seperate disconnect. Using my welder outlet I made a double male plug (VERY DANGEROUS) to connect my generator to the welder outlet. In times of power failure I first switch off the main in the panel from the electric company to the house. Then I can safely fire up the generator, plug it into the welder outlet and essentially power the whole house. At 5500 watts Im not going to run my central air, but it will run the furnace, lights, sump pump, refrig/freezer and other small, limited items.

You could wire up a 50 amp connector in your RV's electrical panel right at the transfer switch - would be easy to do, but I'd suggest against it and instead get a nice 5500-7500 watt portable generator. In case of an accidental bonding of the city's grid to your RV generator I think it would be cheaper to replace the smaller portable generator than the 12.5kw in your RV
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #5

This is a very dangerous thing to do unless you have a qualified electrician do this. What 94-NEWMAR described is an accident waiting to happen. Here in Louisville this past winter we had an ice storm and someone plugged a generator into the house system and a lineman from Florida was killed.
85Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

Yes it is easily done, but make sure you have a transfer switch installed. A friend did this in CT without a transfer switch, similar to 94-Newmar's comment, then he told a passing line crew from the power company. They said remove it or they would pull the meter.

Use a transfer switch.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #7

What 94-Newmar suggests is very dangerous and could get someone killed. It is also a violation of electric code.

DO NOT build or use a suicide cord to do this.

You do not have to have an automatic transfer switch and auto start. Manual tranfer swithes are available for a couple hundred that work just fine, and are safe when installed properly.

Yes you can use your RV gen set as backup power for your house. Have done so myself for years before installing a fully automated home backup gen set large enough for the central AC.

It CAN be done safely and within code.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #8

ditto on the need for a properly qualified electrician installing a transfer switch. You may also need a permit in your area and this should not be avoided, either.

Whenever you make any sort of connection to the electrical grid like this, you have significant risks not only to anyone near your house but also to anyone else on the grid. Some of these risks are not so obvious or simple, either.

If you can't unplug your house electrical devices and plug them into your RV but still want a household emergency electrical supply, do it right and don't take short cuts, please.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #9

Arrow Re-phrase question

Okay, let me start over. Maybe I should have asked this in a different way. Has anyone added a 50amp recepticle to their coach or directly onto the side of the bus generator?
Yes, my plans are to use my bus generator (if I have too) in case of emergency to supply power to my home. I store my bus in a barn next to the house and the panel is 10ft from my bus wall. My thoughts are to install a 50amp female recepticle on the bus and also install a 50amp female recepticle at the barn panel, which also feeds the house. I have an extra lenght of 50 amp extension cord, one end already has the male plug. I was gonna install a 50 amp male plug on the other end also. As long as the disconnect at the main feed meter panel is in the off position (disconnected from the grid) there should not be any issues. Right ??? No different than a backup auto start home generator that is used for emergency power outagges. The only difference is that I'm manually disconnecting from the grid instead of it being an automatic transfer switch. Has anyone done this? Thanks again.... Don
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGott View Post
Okay, let me start over. Maybe I should have asked this in a different way. Has anyone added a 50amp recepticle to their coach or directly onto the side of the bus generator?
Yes, my plans are to use my bus generator (if I have too) in case of emergency to supply power to my home. I store my bus in a barn next to the house and the panel is 10ft from my bus wall. My thoughts are to install a 50amp female recepticle on the bus and also install a 50amp female recepticle at the barn panel, which also feeds the house. I have an extra lenght of 50 amp extension cord, one end already has the male plug. I was gonna install a 50 amp male plug on the other end also. As long as the disconnect at the main feed meter panel is in the off position (disconnected from the grid) there should not be any issues. Right ??? No different than a backup auto start home generator that is used for emergency power outagges. The only difference is that I'm manually disconnecting from the grid instead of it being an automatic transfer switch. Has anyone done this? Thanks again.... Don
Don, Reread 94-Newmar's post. he's already answered your question. And, you can use an inexpensive manual transfer switch......I think.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look in my pics below. Then look in "Makeing it ours". Pics of what I added to the motorhome gen set and the transfer switch in the house are in there. This is what you are talking about.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Logthumper,

When the generator is connected to and providing power to your house is it still providing power to the MH or is the MH bypassed during this time?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Power is fed to both Motorhome and House. Just be sure you know how much power you are requesting if using power in both locations.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Don, Reread 94-Newmar's post. he's already answered your question. And, you can use an inexpensive manual transfer switch......I think.
I was really looking for someones response like Logthumpers that had actually done this at the generator. Great photo's Logthumper........man you've really been busy ........great ideas. Thanks guys !!!!