Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko View Post
i did my coach in allure planks nose to tail and really like it. The seam issue can be handled by using a hair dryer during installation... If you just get the seems a little warm when mating them they are pretty easy to butt together.

I have had just a bit of trouble though with the slide on one side. I have skids and, although the allure would have been lower than the carpet if i had only done a direct replacement... Since i wanted a "one level" look from front to back i ended up having to use 1/4" plywood under the allure where the carpet had been. This makes the slide want to catch the edge of the allure on the way in. I had to tack down that edge so i no longer have a "floating floor" but i've recently been reading about the luck people have been having with various versions of these transition strips and i'm going to have a go at one of those soon.

did you have any lineolum in the kitchen or bath????????was it glued down??????did you remove this or just lay the allure over it???????????? If you took it up how difficult was this???any tips from anyone who has removed the lineolum???? Did you damage the sub flor in removing the lineolum and have to repair???thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
did you have any lineolum in the kitchen or bath????????was it glued down??????did you remove this or just lay the allure over it???????????? If you took it up how difficult was this???any tips from anyone who has removed the linoleum???? Did you damage the sub flor in removing the linoleum and have to repair???thanks
I started to remove the linoleum in my bathroom and kitchen area, but it was a bear to do. We did remove the kitchen area, but it took quite an effort. After checking the thickness of the remaining linoleum, I decided to place thin sheets of plywood down in the areas that either were carpeted or where we had removed the linoleum. That evened out the floor nicely. The Allure then went in right over the remaining linoleum areas. It is designed to do exactly that as a floating floor. I have included a shot where you can see what I am talking about. Notice the allure going into the bathroom and that it laying on plywood before going there.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	5178  
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #17

I am looking at installing Armstrong Luxe wood plank flooring. It costs more than the Allure, but has a much thicker wear layer and many more color choices. The Luxe, or any other of the floating vinyl floors can be glued with Armstrong s-288 at the edge of your slide-in. It will hold better than 2-sided tape.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
We installed Laminate ourselves and really like it. It has held up great for about a year now with no scratches, even under the slide. Here is a link to some pictures. http://cid-ae67fff392766057.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RV%20Mods/Floor%20Project We used a DuPont Product from Home Depot with the backing pre installed on the planks. I think the pre installed backing mad the job a lot easier especially under the slide. The most difficult part was removing the dozens of staples used to install the padding. Really a challenge to get them removed under the slide.

Our Dogs don't have a problem with it and the throw rugs finally stay where we put them.

Dick

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I should have mentioned that I had used "Pergo" laminate in several rooms of the stick house and loved it, but I put Allure in the coach because I no longer have the power tools with me that I had in my stick house and I could the entire job with a pair of shears... and in my application, I was a little concerned that the Pergo would be a bit too thick and cause problems with my slides.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I should have mentioned that I had used "Pergo" laminate in several rooms of the stick house and loved it, but I put Allure in the coach because I no longer have the power tools with me that I had in my stick house and I could the entire job with a pair of shears... and in my application, I was a little concerned that the Pergo would be a bit too thick and cause problems with my slides.

did you use any double faced tape around perimeter of rooms and what did you use as baseboard????????? how did you handle any areas with lineolum????
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
We installed Laminate ourselves and really like it. It has held up great for about a year now with no scratches, even under the slide. Here is a link to some pictures. http://cid-ae67fff392766057.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RV%20Mods/Floor%20Project We used a DuPont Product from Home Depot with the backing pre installed on the planks. I think the pre installed backing mad the job a lot easier especially under the slide. The most difficult part was removing the dozens of staples used to install the padding. Really a challenge to get them removed under the slide.

Our Dogs don't have a problem with it and the throw rugs finally stay where we put them.

Dick

was this a peel and stick backing???????is laminate like particle board??????????WILL IT HOLD UP IN BATHROOM IF IT GET WET????????JUST TRYING TO GET AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE. THANKS
WHAT WAS THE THICKNESS OF YOUR PLYWOOD???1/8 OR 1/4???????????
LAMINATE LOOKED THICKER THAN ALLURE??? HOW DOES WEIGHT OF LAMINATE COMPARE TO ALLURE???THANKS
Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
update:
check my previous post for my allure installation with pics completed in nov 09.

the new floor is working fine. we have 2 car furkids. we use a swiffer swivel sweeper from wally world on the floor daily. it is much easier to take care of than carpet.
i would level the subfloor better with leveling compound. high spots show through.
i would do a better job of removing the carpet and staples under the slides.
we use 8 allure strips in strategic places when we retract the front slide because the first time we retracted it it left small scratches on the floor. this is not a problem for us.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
did you use any double faced tape around perimeter of rooms and what did you use as baseboard????????? how did you handle any areas with lineolum????
I used tacks to secure it where the slides have to ride over it... not tape. the tacks are covered by the overhang of carpet used on the slides.

I used the "baseboard" which came with the coach but it's just standard 1" wood molding.

I didn't have any lineolum but did have vinyl tiles in kitchen and bath. I used 1/4" plywood as an underlayment wherever there was carpet and butted it up to the areas that had the vinyl tile. Then I used quite a bit of leveling compound to smooth the transitions. You really have to get to floor level and look hard to tell where any of the seams are.

Don't underestimate the difference between cutting the laminate planks like Pergo and the cutting of Allure with shears. I like laminate but it's much harder to make your cuts.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Faye

I can't compare what I used to Allure; I quickly discounted Allure due to the published storage temp. rating. I live in New Mexico and we don't get severe winters but it does drop below freezing. It was the upper limit that put me off as it does get quite hot in the summer, albeit low humidity.

The DuPont product had a very good connection method on all four sides of the plank, so it does well in our bathroom. We haven't had a major flood but it does get wet when we clean it. Laminate warps a lot less than Hard Wood Flooring.

This floor floats; the backing is the foam that is required by every Laminate we looked at. It's just pre installed and doesn't need to be add in sheets like some others we saw.

Yes it's kind of like particle board at least in appearance, but much harder and of course it's layered with the actual floor appearance covering. I'm not sure what the material is but particle board would never be able to latch like this stuff.

The weight is about 1.7 lb per sq foot (based on shipping weight, so the installed weight is less than this depending on packaging) and it's .3937" or just a tad over 3/8" thick, our local Home Depot has it in stock and even samples on display so you could see and feel the connection method. It was impressive how this stuff was engineered.

Here is a link to the product we used.

Flooring - Laminate Flooring - DuPont at The Home Depot

Dick

Quote:
was this a peel and stick backing???????is laminate like particle board??????????WILL IT HOLD UP IN BATHROOM IF IT GET WET????????JUST TRYING TO GET AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE. THANKS
WHAT WAS THE THICKNESS OF YOUR PLYWOOD???1/8 OR 1/4???????????
LAMINATE LOOKED THICKER THAN ALLURE??? HOW DOES WEIGHT OF LAMINATE COMPARE TO ALLURE???THANKS
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #25

we are leaning toward a laminate,,,i guess the dupont clicks together????????????
we have removed our sofa and purchased two small recliners that we will pick up saturday...next project will be the floors...we stoped by camping world and asked about their flooring installation and they said they were doing an 8 x 12 ft. area in a mh tomorrow and i asked about price and they said $2,700.00. that settled it we will be doing ours.....thanks for all the info it really helps alot.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
we are leaning toward a laminate,,,i guess the dupont clicks together????????????
Yep, it does. I also found that purchasing one of their "seating blocks" and using it with a rubber mallet was the ticket. The planks click together nicely but a rap with the mallet seemed to seat the seams well.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post

Dick

did your mh come with the table and chairs or did you remove the benches???????????
Old 09-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
We have Table and Chairs with the Kitchen and a sofa in the slide. This configuration made the install simpler because the Laminate could go under the slide about four inches and that made a tidy fit under the kitchen. Also because the kitchen slide is shallower and heaver National installed rollers instead of glides which don't mar the floor.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2025.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	5244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2035.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	5245