Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #1

wood floor vs laminate

those of you who have taken up your carpet, which did you chose, real wood or laminate for your motorhome floor. how has your choice held up??? are you happy with the change???????????we want to take up our carpet and would appreciate you comments. did you do this yourself or have someone do it??????????? what difficulties did you experience?????thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Dogs have trouble with laminates because they are so hard.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did a lot of research before choosing laminate vs. wood/engineered wood for the stick house. Laminate was judged as the most scratch resistant so we used Pergo since we have two dogs.

We will use either Pergo or perhaps floating or glued down vinyl wood-look flooring when we replace the carpet in the motorhome.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We recently went with Allure vinyl free floating floor. So far I really like it. The installation is really a breeze. The only real issue was what to do at the slide area. We carefully examined it and found that the slide doesn't ride on the floor at all and that the vinyl would be lower than the existing carpet. I installed a strip along the edge of the main floor where it meets the slide to assist it from catching on the way in.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
We recently went with Allure vinyl free floating floor. So far I really like it. The installation is really a breeze. The only real issue was what to do at the slide area. We carefully examined it and found that the slide doesn't ride on the floor at all and that the vinyl would be lower than the existing carpet. I installed a strip along the edge of the main floor where it meets the slide to assist it from catching on the way in.
Joe
Joe, what was the strip you used?? I need something to prevent the "catching on the way in".

My slide rides on skids and these do come in contact with the main floor when it is in. We chose to use carpet tile because on the bottom of the skids there are screw heads protruding that will scratch the laminate. They do not bother carpet. I also ran into other problems that are posted in my thread on the National Owners Forum titled "Tearing out the Carpet".
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I just did Allure in the stick house bathroom. The pattern was not a wood grain, but a '3 ceramic tile' imitation. What Krap!! It was durn near impossible to get the seams closed, and when I spoke to their customer service lady, she said it was not a seamless product I bought. Of course, nobody said this at purchase. So now I bought a tube of silicone caulk which matches the fake grout lines, and will spend the next 3-4 days on my knees filing all the seams.
Suggest looking at the Witex line. I did 2 rooms with it and it is beautiful
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It was a abut 2" wide metal transition strip. The kind that has a slight bend downward on one side. The bend went into the slide slot side. It took a little back and forth to figure out the correct placement. After we installed it, we took a block of wood and a hammer and drove the leading edge down into the slide slot just a bit more than was original for the piece. That insured that the slide wouldn't catch it.
Joe
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
I just did Allure in the stick house bathroom. The pattern was not a wood grain, but a '3 ceramic tile' imitation. What Krap!! It was durn near impossible to get the seams closed, and when I spoke to their customer service lady, she said it was not a seamless product I bought. Of course, nobody said this at purchase. So now I bought a tube of silicone caulk which matches the fake grout lines, and will spend the next 3-4 days on my knees filing all the seams.
Suggest looking at the Witex line. I did 2 rooms with it and it is beautiful
Nbounder, I don't know about your Allure product as mine was the plank type. The seams aligned easily and look great.
Joe
Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't find anyone that has had a problem with Allure and the heat....anyone?

Copied from the Allure manual:

Heat and cold resistant: allure
planks can be frozen without damage.
Our adhesive can get down to 15 degrees
Fahrenheit (or -10 degrees Celsius).You can
put allure in the freezer, I don’t know why
you would, but be our guest. allure can
take the heat and definitely can stay in the
kitchen — but if you let your home get over
95º F for an extended period of time, you
will damage the floor and melt the
adhesive

Old 08-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Allure 3 ceramic look tile and it was ok. I used the wax type paper on top of the sticky piece so I could position the tiles exactly as needed and then pulled the waxy paper out of the seam.... viola... perfecto!!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish I had done what downsizer done. Just spent another 5 hrs on my knees trying to force light grey silicone into the spaces. So far, no success - there is not enough color in the silicone to dry grey - it drys semi clear. Will try Dap caulk next.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I did my coach in Allure planks nose to tail and really like it. The seam issue can be handled by using a hair dryer during installation... if you just get the seems a little warm when mating them they are pretty easy to butt together.

I have had just a bit of trouble though with the slide on one side. I have skids and, although the Allure would have been lower than the carpet if I had only done a direct replacement... since I wanted a "one level" look from front to back I ended up having to use 1/4" plywood under the Allure where the carpet had been. This makes the slide want to catch the edge of the Allure on the way in. I had to tack down that edge so I no longer have a "floating floor" but I've recently been reading about the luck people have been having with various versions of these transition strips and I'm going to have a go at one of those soon.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread with links to projects members have done that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
Joe

did you use double faced tape around the edges and at other places...how did you trim around edges after laying????did you have any trouble with peeling and sticking the pieces together?????did you lay it front to back of mh or side to side?????? DOES ANY OF IT BUCKLE UP DURING TRAVELING???? THANKS
faye is offline   Reply With Quote