Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

On November 6 we began our repositioning trip to Florida from Helen, Georgia. We stay at our resort there about 7 months a year. Our motorhome seldom leaves the park except to change sites every two weeks all summer.
After driving about 70 miles I had a problem with what I assumed to be my tires or brakes. We drive a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U on a Workhorse chassis. It has just over 20000 miles on it. We're the second owner. I've had it two years.
What happened was, I made a pit stop and set the park brake, then released it and continued. I immediately began to experience a rumble and a drag, with the wheel pulling definitely to the right. I stopped again and checked all the tires. I thought I'd had a flat. The tires were fine and nothing seemed unusually hot.
I resumed the journey and tried to not engage the brakes too heavily and eventually the rumble ceased and the coach rolled more freely. I deduced the front right brake caliper had grabbed or failed to release because of rust or dirt on the pads.
Has anybody experienced a similar issue? And if so what is the solution so it won't happen again? My previous coach was a '99 Adventurer on a Ford V-10 and I never had brake problems in over 30000 miles of travel.
Thanks for any comments.
Duane

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #2

On November 6 we began our repositioning trip to Florida from Helen, Georgia. We stay at our resort there about 7 months a year. Our motorhome seldom leaves the park except to change sites every two weeks all summer.
After driving about 70 miles I had a problem with what I assumed to be my tires or brakes. We drive a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U on a Workhorse chassis. It has just over 20000 miles on it. We're the second owner. I've had it two years.
What happened was, I made a pit stop and set the park brake, then released it and continued. I immediately began to experience a rumble and a drag, with the wheel pulling definitely to the right. I stopped again and checked all the tires. I thought I'd had a flat. The tires were fine and nothing seemed unusually hot.
I resumed the journey and tried to not engage the brakes too heavily and eventually the rumble ceased and the coach rolled more freely. I deduced the front right brake caliper had grabbed or failed to release because of rust or dirt on the pads.
Has anybody experienced a similar issue? And if so what is the solution so it won't happen again? My previous coach was a '99 Adventurer on a Ford V-10 and I never had brake problems in over 30000 miles of travel.
Thanks for any comments.
Duane

Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #3

Scroll down to the workhorse forum and do a search on workhorse brakes, enough reading for a couple of weeks.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There was a recall on those brakes for sticking - wonder if yours ever had the work done?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Fritsdad;
Lots of posts regarding Workhorse brakes and there was a recall. My rig, a 2004 W-20 experienced a brake failure in August. The rears stuck and the right rear rotor cracked. We ended up replacing all four calipers, the right rear rotor, all 4 seals and caliper lube pins. I was told by my service center that lack of use was the main reason for the failure. That may be true, but I always exercised the rig during those periods of time when it was parked.
Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fritzsdad:
Thanks for any comments.
Duane </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duane,

Besides the recall there is regular maintenence. During the annual brake inspection the gibs and guide pins should be lubed with silicone brake grease. I experience caliper drag that was not noticable on my 95 Vectra, on a P30 chassis, until the wheel burst into flames. Nobody was hurt but the coach was a total loss.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I now know how to proceed. There was a recall on this issue and my coach was in for the adjustment in October, 2004. Workhorse has indicated that they would consider taking another look at it as a courtesy.
I remember when I had a Wilderness 5th wheel if the trailer brakes locked you could back it a short distance and pop the brakes and it would free them up. The problem with the MH is it's hard to back the Toad.
Duane
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #8

If you experience a problem again check for heating of the caliper and rotor. The will tell you the caliper is sticking/

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote