Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #1

In a recent trip I experenced problems with a fuel pump. During the repairs they discovered a leak of gear oil thru the wheels and discovered that not only the seals were torn but the bearings were pitted. In Apr of 2006 the differential on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage seized at 15K. Initially WCC tried to blame it on poor maintance which was easily disproved. Since that time my RV has been in th shop 4x's because of leakage of gear oil through the wheels. It is now in the shop at 21K. Now I am being told that it my be a spec issue with the replacement bearings which causes the axle to whobble.

I guess that my issues now are 1. with the leakage of gear oil through the rear wheels and brake system, how will that ultimately affect the ABS system and 2. with the whobble in the the axle will the axle housing be warped?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #2

In a recent trip I experenced problems with a fuel pump. During the repairs they discovered a leak of gear oil thru the wheels and discovered that not only the seals were torn but the bearings were pitted. In Apr of 2006 the differential on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage seized at 15K. Initially WCC tried to blame it on poor maintance which was easily disproved. Since that time my RV has been in th shop 4x's because of leakage of gear oil through the wheels. It is now in the shop at 21K. Now I am being told that it my be a spec issue with the replacement bearings which causes the axle to whobble.

I guess that my issues now are 1. with the leakage of gear oil through the rear wheels and brake system, how will that ultimately affect the ABS system and 2. with the whobble in the the axle will the axle housing be warped?

Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Had that same problem with the rear axle seals on my previous 2002 W22. Seems like the axle manufacturer should have licked that problem by now!

Oil affects the brakes but probably not ABS, though the wheel speed sensor is there at the wheel and could also get oil soaked. Other than the wheel speed sensor at each wheel, all the rest of the ABS system is elsewhere.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #4

WCC called and it was the bearings, they were too big. Apparently the bearings were 1/8" too big but unless you actually pulled them out you could not tell. While the specs called for one type it looks like the ones sent by WCC were not the right ones. So for the last year I've been going to trials and tribulations, but after talking with the Regional Manager for WCC it looks like they were make good on repairs,reimbursement and an extension on my warranty.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's good news. I've found that Workhorse is more than willing to make things right in this sort of situation.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote