Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
I'm experiencing a significant noise from the left front wheel. I've read it might be the Decor Wheel covers,and I'll check that out, but it sounds more mechanical.

We're talking a Workhorse Itasca 38 - 2006 Gas.

I popped off the small part of the wheelcover and spied a plastic thing bolted to the center of the wheel. It looks too small to be making that much noise

The noise is almost metal on metal with a slight grinding after it's been driven for awhile. Sometimes it's just a squishy sound.

Anybody out there had this happen

Arooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Your first thought is probably the best. Wheel covers are notorious for causing all sorts of strange squealing and grinding sounds.

The center cover give you access to the front hub oil well. You can check for proper level and fill if necessary.

I would suggest loosening the wheel simulator and retighten. If that doesn't work you may have to cut washers from leather or felt and place on the wheel cover mounting studs.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally posted by Arooo:
I'm experiencing a significant noise from the left front wheel. I've read it might be the Decor Wheel covers,and I'll check that out, but it sounds more mechanical......
Anybody out there had this happen
I had a clicking sound at very low speeds like you would travel in an rv park. Turned out to be small balance weights in the cooling fins of the rotors. The weight is only wedged in between fins and was loose enough to slightly rattle at low speeds. The WHSC simply spread the wedging prongs on the weight to correct it. This done after completely disassembling the bearings to check them out.
2003 34' Dolphin 5342, W22, UP, UPGBrake, F and R Track Bars, Rear IPD sway bar, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Scan Gauge II.. 2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue-Ox Adventa..
M&EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
I would get all kinds of squeeking. It would get louder or go away as I would make large turns, like on and off of a highway on/off ramp. I would try all kinds of things and after every repair I would put the wheel covers back on and do a test drive only to find that the problem wasn't fixed. It was the wheel covers. I took them off and drove it and all was well. I have yet to figure out how to quiet them down.
2003 Sightseer 30B riding on a P-32
rick_od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Springs, Springs, Springs,

This may not be where your noise is coming from, but it was a problem with the 2006 workhorse.

I had the same problem at about 1k miles. Took it to workhorse facility. The service manager came out with a can of grease in a spray can.

Sprayed the springs where they connect to chassis.

No problem.

Went back to campground, bought spray can with grease,,,,sprayed the holy moses out of those springs. NEVER a problem again.

But, when it first happened,,,scared the #$%^&* outta me.

I think this may be have been discussed here a year or so ago. A search may turn it up again.

Also, at the time, some folks as I recall either replaced plastic spring separators, or received some type of plastic wedge for the springs.

Good Luck.

2006 Posting

More Noise
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

It sounds like the oil fill (clear plastic) for the wheel has no oil in it. Did you check the other side to see what the oil level should look like? The WH uses oil instead of greese for the front wheels. If you have been driving this without oil in the hub, you may have spindle damage. s/Toby

2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ
Click on SHIP to enlarge CGC Sagebrush
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote