Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

I have had the plug wires changed on my 8.1 Workhorse W-22 twice in 4000 miles. The first time it started domn shifting on anything that wasn't flat and had no pickup. The service center said that diagnostics showed the plug wires were bad. (9000 miles) At 13000 miles it did the same thing. The service center said that it was the wires and plugs. Well, 520.00 later it was back on the road and ran great. We just came back off of a 2500 mile trip and it just started again.
Anyone else had this problems? Have any advise? Suggestions?
Also was told that Workhorse hase isued a service bulletin to lubricate the brake calipers every 15000 miles due to problems with the brakes freezing up. Mine froze up at 5200 miles and luckily it was in warrany as the cost was 4700.00 to replace the btake assemblies. The service center told me mine was the 11th one in three months.
We love our rig but the problems sure make detract from our enjoyment. New A/C compresor last week 1150.00.

Infinity 36Z
Jeep wrangler toad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #2

I have had the plug wires changed on my 8.1 Workhorse W-22 twice in 4000 miles. The first time it started domn shifting on anything that wasn't flat and had no pickup. The service center said that diagnostics showed the plug wires were bad. (9000 miles) At 13000 miles it did the same thing. The service center said that it was the wires and plugs. Well, 520.00 later it was back on the road and ran great. We just came back off of a 2500 mile trip and it just started again.
Anyone else had this problems? Have any advise? Suggestions?
Also was told that Workhorse hase isued a service bulletin to lubricate the brake calipers every 15000 miles due to problems with the brakes freezing up. Mine froze up at 5200 miles and luckily it was in warrany as the cost was 4700.00 to replace the btake assemblies. The service center told me mine was the 11th one in three months.
We love our rig but the problems sure make detract from our enjoyment. New A/C compresor last week 1150.00.

Infinity 36Z
Jeep wrangler toad

Old 06-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BUZZ Welcome to iRV2.com You've come to the right place for answers. I am linking your post to the Workhorse chassis section where I'm quite sure you will get plenty of answers and support. Ed
Old 06-30-2007, 04:48 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With some motorhomes there is a problem with the Workhorse and the 8.1 burning up spark plug wires. This is the fault of the coach designer NOT workhorse (Else all of them would have it) I do not have it. There is a fix, however, since mine is not one of the rigs that needs it (or else it was factory installed) I do not know what it is.

There is also a problem with some Motor Homes and the air intake sucking in water when it rains and causing problems... Again, my coach does not have this problem so it's a body builder issue, not a workhorse issue. I only know about the spark plug wire issue from here and other forums. the water issue because frankly Workhorse told me about it.

There are, far as I know TWO solutions to the spark plug wire problem, One is special (Silicon?) High temp wires that don't burn so easy. The other involves modification to the air flow around the engine

On edit, I know about the cures, I don't know the part numbers or anything else about them though, Just the above I see someone posted a link to one of them below
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was doing a different search, but here is a link to someone with a similar problem.

Workhorse Engine Vent Kit

Dave.

Workhorse W22
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buzz43:
Anyone else had this problems? Have any advise? Suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you go to a service center with repeated plug wire failures they will be looking to install a "Cold Air Vent Kit". The vent kit will apply cool air at the point of failure which will reduce the likely hood of repeated plug wire problems.

You can easily determine if you have an overheat condition and not a broken or loose plug wire by examining the internal shielding insert inside the metal spark plug cover. If the inside of the spark plug cover is black, this indicates an overheat condition. The normal color is similar to a amber color.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for their information. It is good to know that this is not unique to my rig. I will now try to decide what is the best way to get this resolved long term. Although I do a lot of these things on my own and would not have a problem changing the wires I don't want to continue doing it.
Am toying with the idea of building my own vent system to provide air to cool the plug area. Is there a webb site or a picture of the vent that workhorse has.

Buzz & Diane
04 Infinity 36Z
W22 workhorse
05 Wrangler TOAD
Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the link to the Vent Kit by Workhorse

Workhorse Vent Kit

The two scoops are typically mounted down under the front cap (bumper) to pick up cool air and the two hoses are routed up along each side of the engine to dump the fresh cooler air right onto the plug/wires. Depending on the coach, the routing could be slightly different. But the results are the same.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do a search on my name. I gave part numbers for you doing what WCC sells, except for hi-temp wires
Old 06-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buzz,
If you have documented proof that the problem started while you were still in warranty, I think Workhorse will perform a goodwill gesture and install the cold air kit no charge to you.

I replaced the 1st burnt wire myself, then 6 months later WH service replaced 2nd one and got factory ok to install the vent kit. That was at 15,000 miles.

At 17,000 miles I installed Ultrapower EMC program, Cold Air Intake, and Taylor Wires. These mods will reduce the burnt wire problem since the UP EMC doesn't run as rich and there's less heat in the exhaust manifold. Bazels RV (sells the UP) has reported that the stock 8.1 on a dyno will have the manifold glowing red hot because of the excess fuel burning in the manifold. You get more protection with the Taylor wires since they are thicker and come with the insulating socks that go over the plug connector where the stock wires burn up.

I've got 20K miles now and no burnt wire problems. I run fully loaded right at the 26,000 lb gross weight pulling my dunebuggy & enclosed trailer over some pretty long steep grades hgere in So Cal. Besides putting the burnt wire problem to bed, the UP upgrade gives me great additional power and 10-20% better fuel mileage. I'm a very happy camper!!!

Good luck,
Duner
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #11

the Workhorse part number for the enhanced engine ventilation kit is W8005026...

this also includes wires and plug shields to complete the repair
Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #12

Thanks Duner.
I dropped Workhorse an email to see what they say. Will post the answer I get.

Buzz
Infinity 36Z-W22
Wrangler-TOAD
Old 07-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #13

Finally got an answer to my email to Workhorse asking them for help with the spark plug wire problem since it started while the MH was still in warranty. They told me that they have a kit ( Thanks to the forum I knew that)to resolve the problem and referred me to the local service center for installation of the vent kit. I am pretty sure that means I'm on my own so my first experience with Workhorse was definitely not impressive and very short and to the point.
I contacted the service center and just heard back from them. They quoted me a price for the vent kit of 458.53 and 2-5 hour installation cost for 195.00 to 495.00 labor cost.
Prior to receiving the answer from the WHSC I took the drawing for the vent kit to Home Depot and found materials totaling 60.00 that will provide the same venting. I have a shop in my garage that is pretty well oufitted and many tools including those for metal working. I believe I can do this fairly easy unless there is something I missed in the information I have received through the forum. Any advice or information before I jump into this?
Thanks,

Buzz43
2004 Infinity 36Z
W-22
Old 07-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
Official iRV2 Sponsor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by parts_expert:
the Workhorse part number for the enhanced engine ventilation kit is W8005026...

this also includes wires and plugs to complete the repair </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This kit includes new factory AcDelco plug wires,but no spark plugs.