Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #57
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Driving is NYC is easy once you understand how. If there is a space in front of you, drive as fast as you can to catch up with the next car. Then ride their bumper and if they move over, do the same again. Easy peasey! Oh, and as far as courtesy, I always let cars in behind me.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #58
Evergreen Owners Club
In Chicago they believe in a special kind of driving equality. All vehicles are equal. If you see a space that only a small car could move into you have the right to move into it too even if you are driving a big car, even if you are driving a very big car, even if you are driving a very big truck, even if it has a trailer behind it, you have as much right to occupy that space as that small car. Just move on over and the cars behind you will just have to bow to your equality and get the heck out of the way. Oh, and by the way, you can hear the other cars saluting your equality by the 'horns' they blow.

evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #59
Monaco Owners Club
GPS, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice and out the window you go!
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #60
Try the Megallan Roadmate. Best GPS ever. Always gets me within 6 feet of destination. I never get lost with my Megallen great device.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #61
Winnebago Owners Club
I too went right instead of "stay right on rt 80) and ended up on the George Washington bridge. my friend following me in his motorhome was right behind me. I think people either felt sorry for me or thought I was crazy so they let me into two left lanes over for tractor trailers only and then back two lanes to the right to get on the major deegan. I was lucky it was bumper to bumper slow traffic. it is a funny story now that my friend tells EVERYONE about but there were many discouraging words that day.
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #62
National RV Owners Club
When mapping out your trip from the Boston area to the Philadelphia area, never, and I mean NEVER click the box that says "avoid tolls".
Coach: '05 National TropiCal T370 Toad: '07 Saturn Aura Blog:On The Road With Dar 'n' Don
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #63
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about the worst "ride" ever? Back in the early '70s, mom and dad sold up and packed four kids (4-13), a dog and a cat into a 36' class c (mini-Beaver) and a 16' TT for a trip around the country. We spent 6 months traveling coast to coast and logging over 18,000 miles. There were a lot of entertaining driving days, but the one that was most memorable was in Rhode Island ... just outside of Providence as I recall though it may have been down at the coast.

We'd been up in New England for a couple of weeks and were headed back to my Uncle's place outside of Croton-on-Hudson. It was after dark, dad was driving (as usual) and mom was navigating. This normally worked well since dad has been know to get lost backing out of the driveway. Mom was also a great driver and could handle the rig under most conditions. Finding the exit to the campground dad exited and immediately found that the next directions didn't make sense. It was a winding exit into narrow streets with cars parked on both sides and no real way out; a left turn back onto the highway just wasn't going to happen. Knowing even then that three rights makes a left, dad proceeded to go around the block, cross a narrow overpass, and keeping an eye out for highway signs managed to make his way back to the main road.

At this point they determined that they must have made a mistake as to the exit markings and had gotten off at the wrong exit. So we backtracked, turned around, and made our way back into town. The markings turned out to be correct, but we got off at one exit later. The directions still didn't make sense, but let's say that they tried to grasp the idea of the directions. After a few turns noting that it wasn't getting any better I was the one who noticed that we were right back to the narrow intersection with no way of making a left. Three right turns later we were back to the highway and backtracking to try again.

After four tries you'd think they'd give up? Not quite. Mom and dad switched seats and they tried three more times. Each time we ended up right back at that same damned intersection! They tried several different exits but we always ended up right back in the same place. Queue the theme from the Twilight Zone.

After the third time at that black hole of an intersection my brother and I each grabbed a pen and paper to write down all the new words mom and dad were using.

After the seventh try the decision was made to just bite the bullet and carry on to Croton which is exactly what we did.

As an aside, I used to drive trucks and made a couple of trips into Hunts Point. It was right after my second trip there that I changed companies to one that was west coast only. Working for them I regularly drove into San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Portland. I'll take them every day in a rig rather than one day in any part of NYC. I've got a lot of respect for those who do it every day.
Lyman & Deb; Chip & Charlie (Portugueses Water Dogs); Portland, Oregon
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #64
How about this one...

We were heading westbound on I80 and on the west side of Des Moines, where I80 and I35 split, our toad steered us all the way across four lanes of traffic. This included several semi tractors. By the time I got it under control we had crossed back across all four lanes, narrowly missing multiple collisions.

We pulled off at the nearest exit to say some prayers, lower our heartrates, and try and figure out what had just happened.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

I didn't figure out exactly what had caused it but I'm sure it was something to do with the lifted nature of the Jeep. That Jeep was retired from being our toad, a New unmodified one procured.

Learned a valuable lesson that day and we've pulled thousands of miles since with no problems.

We did cancel our trip that day and instead stayed at a state park for a few great days. One we've been back to several times so at least there was a silver lining.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #65
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Manhatten in a MH...no way! That is exactly why on our FL to ME trips we take extra time and mileage to skirt around Baltimore, DC and NYC. The GPS would have met Mr. Ballpeen after that.

Tom & Barb
Jack and Darby (4 leggers)
06 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote