Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #15

Can't top that in regards to a bad traffic day trying to get a Motorhome through NYC.

However, I'll trade your one bad day for the 33 years I had to drive into the City of Los Angeles from the suburbs to go to work any day.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Years ago I took a Cincinnati youth group to Mystic, CT for a week of sailing school at the Mystic Seaport Museum. We lived on the Joseph Conrad, a 3 masted training ship. On the trip back, I decided to stop at my parents house in North Jersey. I decided to give the group a thrill and drove a 66 pass. converted school bus through Manhattan, through Times Square and onto the Staten Island Ferry. A great time was had by all. In Manhattan, it seems all the lights turn green at the same time. Bragging rights hinge on how many blocks you can make it on green. As we were tooling down one of the avenues, at each intersection there was a hump. I looked up in my inside mirror to see the kids in the back seats fending off the ceiling as we hit each hump. Once on Staten Island, we proceeded to my parent's house where my mom had bought fixings for hoagies for supper. It was a great trip. One of the kids in the back seat had a video camera and was taking video as we drove through Manhattan. You got car sick from the lurching of the camera!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thats exactly why when folks from out of the area write in for advise about going to the New England states from the south western areas the advise is from north Jersey head straight up the NY Thruway to Conn. Mass. or Vt. then east. The Metro NY and Jersey area is a nightmare for larger vehicles. Most GPS's will route you right through the congestion and if you make a wrong turn your trapped. Also if you want to go into the city leave your rv in Pa or southern NY State and drive the toad into New York. The smartest thing to do is take public transportation into then city. I have run across truckers who refuse to take jobs delivering to the Metro NY area.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have enough trouble getting through the Seattle Portland gauntlet in rush hr. with the coach and toad. I think if that were me I would have abandoned ship. At least it sounds like your coach and toad were unscathed. That would be the plus side of it all.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #19

I'm surprised I still have both mirrors and no dents. You can't even see the lanes because everyone's weaving back and forth cutting everyone off. I had delivery trucks squeeze by me within literal inches. And they'll run into you if you don't move or let them in.
It's unfathomable to me how anyone could drive that traffic every day.
I was heading south from Massachusettes when this happened, so I'm not sure exactly what bridge it was I crossed, but I thought it was the George Washington Bridge. Maybe not.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #20

After two trips over the GW I now go north and take the Tappan Zee. A lot less stress.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guess OP is lucky with no ticket - no propane in any NYC tunnels, last I knew.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #22

this almost funny but not! Driving south from the Maine direction we said we would skirt around NY , no problema. I was in a 32ft class a pulling a 20ft car hauler with car and goldwing on trailer. Heading south the sign says no trucks and my wife says that means us and I say no it doesnt. You all know where this went ; after several minutes of her hammering me I gave in and and did the turn for no trucks into NYC. Ahhhhhhhhh we came to a large intersection and the light turned green and no one went so in my best Florida revenge mode I pulled a u turn in the middle of the intersection ; saw people on the sidewalk with their mouths open gawking. I then took the no truck road on some monster double deck bridge and made it through. Whewwww , but wait theres more.
So on into NJ where there is no speed limit for the locals on RT 9 I think; we are merrily driving along ,60mph 3 lanes bumper to bumper and here comes a bridge with a clearance sign that says 9ft6in. Ahhhhhhh I swing into the middle la and we breeze through. About 3 more miles and another one 9ft4in ahhhhh . Whew arched bridges no prior warning signs at all. Could have been an ugly call to the insurance co.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
That was an exciting read!

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
That makes two of us. I'm from there and I can't figure that one out either.

He was not on the GWB
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
You CANNOT rely on GPS in NY we have parkways with low clearance some as low as 7'. Even the RV GPS tries to take me on these roads. It also tries to take me through the tunnel. You need to know you roads before you get there. I never rely on just the GPS when I am driving the MH.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Welcome to New England
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Born and raised in North Jersey... I am guessing the bridge described, based on the toll fare and the geographical description, was the RFK Bridge. That is one of the cheaper one at $7.50 - you missed 95 going across the GWB by a couple of miles. If you went across the GWB the minimum toll for an RV is $25.00, without a toad. I always tell people to go across the Tappan Zee and follow the 287 loop away from the NYC area, not as congested and no tolls. Puts you back on 95/NJ Turnpike at exit 10. When traveling through this area notice the truck stops/rest areas filled with truckers until about 7 or 8 pm, that is when they make the trek into NYC or up 95 north. Those in an RV that want to see NYC should take mass transit or their toad. The problem is there is not a decent RV park or campground for 50 or 100 miles in any direction.
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #28

We were two motorhomes, pulling cars, heading to Walnut Canyon, Az. GPS said take next exit, turn left. We did, and about 100 yards the pavement turned to a dirt road. No where to turn around. Kept going. Motorhome in back now in a cloud of dust. Suddenly a "hunter", dressed in camo, carrying a bow and arrows, stepped out from behind a tree. To this day I can see the look on his face. "What the heck are these fools doing on this road", and with Wisconsin plates... Finally arrived at the visitor center. Ranger asked if we had a Garmin. yes. Thought so, all Garmins tell people to get off one exit too soon. If we had gone to the next exit, it was a short blacktop drive to the center.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote