Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Worst Drive Ever

Suffering from PTSD today. This will be long, but you may find it amusing. I may also after some therapy.......
Yesterday, while making the dreaded drive through the New York City area on I-95, the GPS suddenly told me to turn right. Only problem was, I saw two rights. In my confusion, I passed up the "right" right and was headed towards a toll plaza and a large bridge. Not knowing which way I should have gone, I quickly hit the brakes.
Next thing I know, there's a NYC cop beside me with lights on waving his hands and screaming at me. I roll down the window and all I can understand from his accent, is "Back UP". I hollered back, I can't back up, I've got a car on the back. He then screamed "Don't You Dare Back UP!"
So I had one way to go. Through the toll booth and over the bridge. The guy at the toll booth looks at me kinda funny and says "$7.50 for da bus and $7.50 for da cah". So I hand him $15 and over the George Washington Bridge I go right into Downtown Manhattan.
This was without a doubt the most stressful drive I've ever made. The GPS took me right downtown down 34th Street, over to 2nd Avenue, across Broadway, down to 9th Avenue. If you've ever heard about the drivers in NYC, it's indescribable unless you've experienced it. Here I am with a 40 foot motorhome with a Malibu on the back trying to get down double parked streets with Taxis and cars jammed everywhere cutting people off. If there is one inch to poke their nose in front of you, they'll jump in there. It took at least 10 minutes to get through each light.
The only way out is through the Lincoln Tunnel. On top of it all, the entrance that the GPS was sending me to is closed Mon-Fri 4pm to 7pm. So after two hours inching through traffic, I couldn't enter the tunnel. After more traffic, I found where the entrance to the tunnel was, but when I tried to turn to it, the traffic cop would not let me turn and made me go straight. Another hour later of fighting traffic, I made it to the turn again. The cop still wouldn't let me turn and was screaming at me to go straight.
I finally pulled over into a bus stop and walked out into the middle of traffic on 10th Avenue to ask a cop directing traffic how to get the hell off the island as I pointed to my coach. Through an accent I could barely understand he said " you the boss"? I said yeah, I guess I am the boss of that motorhome. He was actually saying bus.
He said bosses go to 43rd street, turn on 11th avenue, go right on 40th street.
It turns out that the turn is so tight there's only one way a bus/motorhome can get into the tunnel.
Finally, after three hours of sheer terror, I got into the tunnel with a height limit of 12' 6" And I'm a little over 12'3". Going through the tunnel, My antenna was scraping the top sounding like a curb feeler all the way.
What a relief to get off Manhattan Island only to be dumped on to the Jersey Turnpike in 6:00 Friday night trafic.
Not a good day!

What's your worst experience? Can anyone top that?

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Another prime example of why NOT to rely on your GPS. Stick to the old fashion stubby pencil way, get a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas to play out a route sutable for your unit, and then just follow the road signs. I've drove truck for 20+ years and never had an Atlas steer me down the wrong road. Drove over the GW bridge dozens of times following I-95 north and south and can't figure out how you ended up in Manhattan.

2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Worst Drive Ever

Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Drove over the GW bridge dozens of times following I-95 north and south and can't figure out how you ended up in Manhattan.

That makes two of us. I'm from there and I can't figure that one out either.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Evergreen Owners Club
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Nope, YOU WIN!
evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Maybe the Triborough bridge. The George Washington bridge was $34.00, without my toad
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
You have my sympathy. I would not have come close enough to NYC to do that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My wife is from the Bronx, and when we got married in Manhattan, her Uncle Louie told me all ya gotta do is keep your right finger on the horn, and your middle finger on the left hand sticking out the window! I tried it, and low and behold everybody let me in. They did show me their fingers, too. . .

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking LOL

I'm not a drinker but I think I would need a stiff one after that wrong turn jaunt.

Got turned around one time in our truck towing our racing equipment and the wife said "honey I think you need to be going the other direction". Being the dip stick I am I blurted out I new what I was doing and I was heading west as I should be. She asked me "but doesn't the sun set in the west?". She does the navigating now.
2003 Winnebago WFG33V Adventurer - 8.1 Gas, Workhorse Chassis - Medium Titanium Metalic

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Looks like you left the miracle of 34th street on 34th street. *S* Putting this info in my brain for places to avoid when we start full timing LOL
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

To bad you didn't have a Dash Cam. That would have been something to see.

2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
I was sweating just reading your NYC driving experience. My claim to fame is driving a 27 ft rental through Chinatown in San Francisco. No big events but still can't believe one could even drive a MH through Chinatown!
NRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Well. no, and perhaps yes.

Let's see if I recall correctly it was summer 1998, Got off work Thursday went to bed, got up Friday and drove from Detroit to Jenny Jump (PA) state park, spent the night in the back of a Lumina APV with wife, did not know it but suffered an insect bite, Remember this there will be a test.... Continued on into NYC (Not very far in, Just Lincoln Center) parked, walked to a Pizza Joint (Worst Pizza I have ever had) for lunch, back to Julliard for the graduation concert my daughter was part of (Jeanne Backstresser if I spelled it right Flute Master Class) and when the concert ended I recovered the car and met wife and daughter on the street between the Lincoln center lot and Julliard (Which is across the street) and back to MI... Driving hard all night cause we have a 10 am Gig on Sunday in Farmington Hills (Detroit area)......

On the way to NYC I stopped for breakfast in PA and the news was all about how a couple of fuel tankers had had attempted to occupy the same space at the same time on top of a bridge.. As you may know, this does not work well,, The fire that resulted from this crash caused the road to be opened in a manner not approved by the DOT (Burned a hole right through the bridge to the road or whatever was below it) this resulted in like a 40 mile detour we had to take on the way back...

We made it, caught about 30 mintues of rest and on to the Gig. (Daughter by the way is a very good classical flutist).

Time passes: I found out about that Insect bite when I went home from work with a temp of 104 degrees.. Wound up taking 28 days off (over a month on the calendar) before doctor let me go back to work. Getting out of bed to visit the "little room" OH man did that hurt cause any change of blood pressure in the affected leg.. Well, it was the leg equivalent of an impacted root on a tooth, not quit as bad, (about half) but still bad.

Took two full 2 week courses of a very powerful antibiotic to clear it up. Not an experience I wish to duplicate.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
... Drove over the GW bridge dozens of times following I-95 north and south and can't figure out how you ended up in Manhattan.
I'm guessing that from I-95 he may have taken the Harlem River drive to exit 19 to 2nd Ave.

Yep. Driving through NY City is just about the most stressful drive for an RVer. I have never done it in an RV, but many times by car. Now, getting stuck inside the Lincoln Tunnel tube, that would have been just perfect.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote