Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a mid entry diesel pusher if more were available
Yes I would buy a mid entry door diesel pusher 152 68.16%
No I prefer the front entry diesel pusher 71 31.84%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Would you buy a mid entry diesel pusher if more were available

Just wondering what the percentage of people would buy a mid entry diesel pusher if more were available. They are hard to find. I prefer a mid entry myself, and had to look for a while to find one that matched my criteria. I don't know if new ones are even available. This debate came up in another thread, and mid door entries seem to have some support. Of course, buying a gas motorhome pretty much ensures you get a mid entry. Very few gas pusher were made.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

We own a 40’ mid door DP. Easy access to the kitchen, bedroom and bath. No wind noise! Would not have anything else! We love it!
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Prefer front entry, NO
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
NO
Why not start a poll...option is at the bottom of your post
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Newell still makes then. Toured the factory last week, 2+ million, but really nice.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

I would look at one, closer to the fridge from outside. Don't have to wait for the wife to get organized before the dogs and I can get out.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
NO
Why not start a poll...option is at the bottom of your post
Maybe the manufacturers will see it, and start making more of them. Many people prefer them, but very few are made. There are many good reasons to like the mid entry. I looked specifically for one in a DP. Maybe by the time I can afford a new rv, they will have more available. I have driven in many front entry diesels. While they are nice, they are not my preferred set up. Im thinking we could be fifty fifty here, or maybe even more for the mid door. No draft on the passenger. No air noise. No wet boots at entry while driving. No extra awning required to put out. Door exits under large awning. Door is closer to kitchen and washroom. Passenger doesn't have feet hanging in stairwell. Passenger isn't set back farther than driver. Better field of vision for passenger. Maybe that's why I like the mid entry better. I have spent probably close to 20k miles in the passenger seat of front entry diesel pushers.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #8

If it’s economically feasible the coach manufactures will build for the demand.
There in the business of building what their customers are willing to buy
Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood's Pace Arrow (not the LXE) have mid coach doors. The problem with these though...is the limited towing capacity.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #10

Wife likes the Bounder's mid door. The MA has a front. I like the front as it takes up less wall space. Wife likes what she gets used to
Old 10-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My wife and I were just discussing this and she asked if there were mid entry DPs about. She would prefer that setup and I would like her to be happy. I'm not sure about the lower towing capacity idea; can that be elaborated on please.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
My wife and I were just discussing this and she asked if there were mid entry DPs about. She would prefer that setup and I would like her to be happy. I'm not sure about the lower towing capacity idea; can that be elaborated on please.
I can only speak for my own mid door Dp. While it doesn't have a huge engine, its dry weight is around 21,500 lbs. Its gross vehicle weight is 26,800 lbs. It has a very good CCC, and has seatbelts for 10. My hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs. My gross combined is 33,500, so technically if I only have a few thousand pounds of cargo, I could pull 10,000 lbs. I don't know how practical that is with a 275 hp engine, but I think nothing of towing my enclosed trailer which loaded would weigh around 6000 lbs. I tow a 3000 car on a 600 lb dolly, and you don't even know its back there.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #13

We like our mid door. On the front door models I did notice that the passenger seat was set back and on some the right hand view was blocked by a pillar.
On ours I am not really fond of the 4ft love seat to the right of the steps except that it has great storage under it. Maybe in the future I'll move it forward a bit and tuck a televator behind it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I can only speak for my own mid door Dp. While it doesn't have a huge engine, its dry weight is around 21,500 lbs. Its gross vehicle weight is 26,800 lbs. It has a very good CCC, and has seatbelts for 10. My hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs. My gross combined is 33,500, so technically if I only have a few thousand pounds of cargo, I could pull 10,000 lbs. I don't know how practical that is with a 275 hp engine, but I think nothing of towing my enclosed trailer which loaded would weigh around 6000 lbs. I tow a 3000 car on a 600 lb dolly, and you don't even know its back there.
I misquoted my gvwr. It is 24,800 lbs.

Tags
diesel