Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Would you purchase a MH in winter in Northern US

Hi,

If I purchased a MH in winter I may have issues with test driving and checking the water pump and heater etc are working. Also it could be 4 months before I get to use it properly.

Would this stop someone if a screaming deal came along?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased mine at Thanksgiving. I tested what I could, but what sold me was that there was still a year left on a supplemental warranty. I felt like that covered the downside. It turned out to be a very good deal, with very little wrong.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Bought this one from a dealer in New York in February. I don't see a problem. the systems can be tested then re-winterized.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I have bought most of my units in the winter - sellers are usually pretty motivated. A thorough check over by qualified inspectors can pick up most of any issues. Do you know a couple of friends/contractors for hire that can inspect chassis/house systems? Always good to have second sets of eyes.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Bought this one from a dealer in New York in February. I don't see a problem. the systems can be tested then re-winterized.
Absolutely! Keep in mind though, that the seller will probably want you to pay for cost of re-winterizing if you chose not to purchase. Personally I feel that is fair.

If a seller balks at de-winterizing and checking ALL systems, RUN, don't WALK away!

The only system(s) that I can think of that you may not be able to get a good test on would be the air conditioners.

Water pump will still work and thermostat cycle if you do a reasonable test drive. I would run the generator for awhile as well, with a load. Test the water heater FIRST ON ELECTRIC, then switch to gas. It is easy to see if the heater is burning efficiently on gas, but more difficult to see if the electric is working properly if the heater is already "pre-heated".

Good luck!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

Thanks all,

If it was to be dewinterised how long so for to get a proper test if a heated building is not available?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Absolutely! Keep in mind though, that the seller will probably want you to pay for cost of re-winterizing if you chose not to purchase. Personally I feel that is fair.

If a seller balks at de-winterizing and checking ALL systems, RUN, don't WALK away!

The only system(s) that I can think of that you may not be able to get a good test on would be the air conditioners.

Water pump will still work and thermostat cycle if you do a reasonable test drive. I would run the generator for awhile as well, with a load. Test the water heater FIRST ON ELECTRIC, then switch to gas. It is easy to see if the heater is burning efficiently on gas, but more difficult to see if the electric is working properly if the heater is already "pre-heated".

Good luck!
I agree with the above post, although you can test operation of the heat pump if temps are above 40 deg - which would likely confirm AC functionality as well. We bought our 2011 DP in January 2016 from Winnebago RV near Rockford IL (and live in WI), and had similar concerns. Regarding plumbing, you can still test operation with pink antifreeze in the pipes for everything but the water heater and possibly washer/dryer/ice maker - it will just cost a few bucks for 3 or 4 gallons of antifreeze to pump through everything. Engine, tranny, chassis items should not be an issue in winter, and it's actually a good time to test for potential fuel system problems. For the items you can't confirm operation of, consider setting aside a reasonable amount of money in a joint escrow account that is closed after full system operational testing can be performed. In our case, the dealer was great to work with; but if this is a private sale, stand your ground and test everything you can - don't let them use weather as an excuse to hide something. Good luck and keep us posted!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
I agree with the above post, although you can test operation of the heat pump if temps are above 40 deg - which would likely confirm AC functionality as well. We bought our 2011 DP in January 2016 from Winnebago RV near Rockford IL (and live in WI), and had similar concerns. Regarding plumbing, you can still test operation with pink antifreeze in the pipes for everything but the water heater and possibly washer/dryer/ice maker - it will just cost a few bucks for 3 or 4 gallons of antifreeze to pump through everything. Engine, tranny, chassis items should not be an issue in winter, and it's actually a good time to test for potential fuel system problems. For the items you can't confirm operation of, consider setting aside a reasonable amount of money in a joint escrow account that is closed after full system operational testing can be performed. In our case, the dealer was great to work with; but if this is a private sale, stand your ground and test everything you can - don't let them use weather as an excuse to hide something. Good luck and keep us posted!
Great idea about testing with anti freeze.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought mine at the end of summer, and did all my own inspections and systems checks at a dealer in Florida. If I had to do it again under the same circumstances I would only do it the same in nice warm weather. I spent 2 days on the coach before I signed the purchase agreement. I guess it would depend on what you are buying and how much you are spending plus the age of the coach. I am a DIY type of guy.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why not if you test EVERYTHING first?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree, but not everyone is mechanically inclined. My father in-law was like that, he had to call someone to change a light bulb.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Sure...
I would write a purchase offer w inspection contingency by mechanic, RV dealer and/or buyer ( at buyer expense) w seller demonstrating all systems & appluances in working order. Buyer has the right to back out / get any deposit refunded if any deficiencies noted.
If any issues identified it reopens $ negotiation or seller corrects deficiencies at their expense. Buyer nor responsible for rewinterization.
Probably needs some tine limits included for insoections and repairs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Sure...
I would write a purchase offer w inspection contingency by mechanic, RV dealer and/or buyer ( at buyer expense) w seller demonstrating all systems & appluances in working order. Buyer has the right to back out / get any deposit refunded if any deficiencies noted.
If any issues identified it reopens $ negotiation or seller corrects deficiencies at their expense. Buyer nor responsible for rewinterization.
Probably needs some tine limits included for insoections and repairs.
That sounds like a good plan.

I do not plan to upgrade for a year or but keeping my options open.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #14

Watch for road salt damage. I purchased a new motorhome in July 2015 from a dealer in Connecticut who received it in January. Looking back at the dealers pictures, you could see salt all over the unit. By October, salt wear and tear was showing through on the chassis and wheels.
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winter