Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
I have used mobile rv repair services several times. I find them, when needed, mostly by asking at the office in the campground we are staying at for referral. Results have been mostly good, with one mediocre and one not so good.

I'm considering offering my services on the road, where practical, traveling to the client and moving around the country that way.
I would not use a "mobile" mobile service, ie one without an established business with license, etc in a specific area. How could you check references?
How would you find them if the work needed to be redone? Many of the mobile services I have used are actually certified by OEM parts people (awnings, ac, etc). That would be hard to get without an address.

My labour charge would be around half what the commercial RV centers charge.
I would be hesitant to use a deeply discounted service. If your work is not good enough to charge competitive rates, then I would be very cautious. If you are good charge like you are proud - don't belittle yourself.

If you are as good as you claim, you will figure some way. Finding a repair person, especially a mobile one, is hard because there are not enough out there. Maybe there is a way to sub contract for a dealer when you visit an area. Good luck.

jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
I think there are many repairs that a mobile tech like yourself could address for most RV'ers..OK, front end alignments, overhauling a diesel engine, and other heavy chassis work maybe not but everything in the box is fair game for your services, and it sounds like you are even able to so some chassis repairs too.

Second thought...would you envision working with extended warranty companies like Good Sam and Xtraride? We have Xtraride and when I called them to ask about how to get my Precision Temp water heater repaired, they told me that I could not do the repairs myself like I hoped, but had to be done by a licensed repair shop.....OR....a mobile repair service. Have you spoken with the extended warranty companies to find out how you need to be certified by them so you could do the work under their coverage? That would be a big competitive advantage to you I would think. I know of 3 models: 1) some shops work real well with the extended warranty companies and will work the money directly with them with only the deductible out of the RV owner's pocket, 2) some shops will get pre-authorization for the work to be done but expect the customer to pay them and the customer to be reimbursed by the extended warranty company (not as easy for the customer), and 3) some wont work with them at all. I understand some extended warranty companies have a history of not paying on repairs where they HAD provided pre-authorization driving them to move from model 1 to model 2. Just some thoughts you likely have already considered.

Last thought..Have you heard of Terry Cooper?
Professor Terry Cooper | Mobile RV Academy
I believe he still has courseware that when completed allows the student to receive a certificate in RV repair. Right now he is training RV mechanics at a large RV repair chain. You may not need to learn more but I didnt know if perhaps you having his certificate as an RV Mechanic would be appealing to potential customers for you.

I really like the concept of mobile RV repair!! Good luck!

Curt & Susan 2009 38' Newmar Grand Star 3752
Front Engine Diesel - Freightliner Chassis Cummins/Allison
Toad: Honda Element ("LIL HUM"), Ready Brute tow bar/braking, Protect-a-Tow
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #31
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used mobile techs a few times. For the most part they were good at what they did and seemed to have plenty of work. If you decide to go forward with your plan my advice is simple, do good, quality work at a fair price. By doing these simple things word of mouth will be your friend and folks will tell others. I beleive that if you do these things you will find yourself very busy most of the time and be very successful. Let me know if you decide to do this as I try and keep a log book of good techs and where they are located just in case I need them or if someone else does. We need more good mobile rv techs such as yourself. Good luck.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
I think most parks would be glad to let you put a sign in your window or a card in their office. Mobile techs are really hard to find and RV's are always having problems. Don't forget, the vast majority of RVs are towables. They have relatively simple systems and I'd bet you'd see the same kind of issues over and over again. So could be quite a good business for you. Hopefully, you have a good way with people and can deal with the crotchety few that make dealing with the public a pain - you know the type, you help them when they are in a jamb and they turn on you in the end. Definitely LLC is the way to go - simple and you protect yourself.

Anyways, if you are in PA right now, I got a job for you!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Guys like this give mobile repair guys a bad rap: I was in a park when a guy pulled up to a 5th wheel and had a sign on his truck that said "RV DR". Being the nosy guy I am I went to see what was going on (I learn a lot that way). They were looking at the fridge and the "RV DR" that the yellow stuff indicated the fridge was loosing freon!! I had to say something and the "RV DR" left in a hurry. i couldn't stand back and watch this idiot take advantage of someone.

2010 Phaeton QTH 40'
2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Recon, D,2/7, 1st Cav '65
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #34
Here is what I did when full timing in a KOA 4 years ago the lady at the desk found out I was handy I did some work for her next thing phone was going off too much if I replaced a awning I would hire teenagers to help me. There I got away with by being called the park handy man if the people looked like they didn't have enough money it was free made good money made lots of friends that way. Many times I would wake up and there would be beer on the table nobody would tell me who left it. Go for it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #35
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
We prefer using a mobile service and we pay a higher hourly rate for it! I think you'd have more business than you could handle!
Same here. I've used it in the past and will continue to use it.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #36
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look forward to using your services when needed, keep me informed how your business unfolds. Good Luck!
naed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
One thing the previous posters have missed is the fact that almost all the mobile repair techs they've used have either a brick and mortar address in the area they serve, or have ads posted at the campgrounds with a local number where they can be reached. They are local people who can be contacted any day of the year. They have spent time in the community establishing a reputation and generally have set days and hours of business. They don't appear and hang out their shingle one day and leave a few weeks or months later.

I'm not questioning your skills or qualifications, just pointing out someone who is in an area temporarily will have more difficulty attracting business than someone who is established in the area. There may be business for someone who resides there on a temporary basis, but it's going to be limited due to the fact that there won't be a consistent place where they can be reached. Opportunities would rely on word of mouth and reputation you've established during the time you stay in a particular location.

Another hurdle could be local and state governments. Some states require business licenses and tax numbers to do business there. They want to be able to collect sales taxes, income taxes, and/or any other fees imposed on other local businesses.

Many campground owners would be hesitant to endorse you or let you advertize without having any previous knowledge of your business model, and skill level. You have to remember every time they recommend someone or something they are putting their own reputation on the line. They may be hesitant to put that reputation on the line for an unknown quantity.

I'm not trying to discourage you from giving it a try. Just making you aware that there will be some hurdles until you establish a reputation and have a business model that will work wherever you travel.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would I use a mobile RV service technician.

Well, Yes, as a matter of fact in the summer when the rig needs work beyond my limited tool box the first person I call (I mean I have her on speed dial) is Rachel.. Rachel is "The RV GIRL (That is her license plate) and she is a mobile RV technician, does great work.

I've met a few others as well.

If I absolutly have to (Some jobs are beyond HER toolbox) I go to a shop. but I prefer to use the mobile tech.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
I've been on the road 19 years and have seen lots of Mobile Techs, BUT they live in the area and the Campground Manager is always familiar with them in order to recommend someone. I am a retired union electrician, I got a magnetic sign and slapped it on my car thinking I'd have people kicking my door down. Back then I was $20/hr, 2 hour minimum, if I don't fix it, you don't pay. I got so tired of people wanting to haggle and complaining about 2 hour minimum. CW was $85/hr, if they couldn't fix it in 2 hours, they'll take 3, 4 or for ever how long it takes, and you'll pay for the time it takes. I was an outstanding electrician, I learned from a guy whose motto was, "I can fix anything but a broken heart, or the break of day, if I can fix it, throw it away." People were leery to pay someone that travels around, no matter how good you are. I would be hard pressed to use a traveling tech, if it doesn't work, "where are you going to be again sir?" I learned, but good luck.
ginaandharol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #40
Monaco Owners Club
I have used a mobile tech recommended by the campground and he did a very good job on my surge protector that failed. deSanford
Sanford, Linda & R cats: Molly, Levi, Cody
2011 Monaco by Navistar RV
Good Sam Life Member Good Sam Hams Chapter
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #41
Monaco Owners Club
I had a slide that would not retract

Good Sam sent the " local guy" who was also the tow truck guy
He and with his multi meter and lots of knowledge
Very good result
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #42
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
...... try to get some on line reviews before using any service place, mobile or fixed.
I think it would work.
Another thought. This forum might have a section that lists folks like you and also gives feedback on service both positive and negative for those of us that would prefer not to do the work on our RVs. I almost always use feedback from the internet on any purchase or or service. Ron

2003 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec, 2007 Saturn Vue
Retired USN SMC
RonA is offline   Reply With Quote

repair, service