Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
I had a leaky hot water tank drain plug on a holiday weekend in Birmingham, AL. I called a mobile repair man and he said that he could come that afternoon and I pay him the price of the part plus the $20 fee or go to a store down the street and get a PVC plug the correct size for around $2. I opted for the PVC, but would call again for that kind of honesty.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a Mobile guy to get my Dish receiver set up the first time, needed to update the R5 on the roof. Did a great job.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes I would absolutely use a mobile rv repairman. Especially when waking up in am in 30 degree weather and your converter has gone out and you have no heat. Used one around Christmas. Mr. Mobile RV was recommended by Carpenders Campers in Pensacola, Fl. They did a great job on a Saturday. They came about 45 miles to get to me, Another 20 miles to get converter and 20 miles back to my coach. Installed converter. Checked all electrical in coach. Charged me $451. I was elated. I estimated that a rv dealer would have probably charged $600 to $700 for same repair and checking out systems. You can bet if I have any problems anywhere near them they will be used again.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used a mobile RV service (A-Z Mobile RV Paola, KS servicing the Kansas City Metro) for several years. $89 I believe for a service call, divide that by $4 per gallon for diesel, about 22 gals at 6 mpg gives me 133 miles. When I consider distance from my home to storage, storage to service center, service center to home, home to service center, service center to storage, and storage home, that is very reasonable. My time is also worth something. In addition, in the Midwest this time of year I don't winterize my unit (store it in underground limestone cave humidity controlled) so if I take it to a service center I have to be concerned with winterizing the unit if they can't keep it inside. Mobile RV will go to my storage facility and make necessary trips until project lists are completed. They also worked with my old Maintenance Contract Insurance provider.

In addition, if I am traveling and need someone to walk me through steps in order to keep motoring down the road or enjoying my trip, they are more than willing to assist.

I was coming home from Phoenix a few years ago and battery volts were dropping below 9, a call to their 24 hour emergency line on a weekend evening, I received a very quick reply. He suggested taking a matchbook or equivalent and wedge it under the emergency battery switch on the dash, volts immediately went to 13. He suggested I keep the generator running if I stop and wait until I return for them to fix. Made it from New Mexico home with an overnight stop in Amarillo, TX.

January 2013 a mobile RV service guy responded to my situation with no electricity in Breckenridge CO with overnight temperatures -15 F, quickly diagnosed 2 breakers on inverters and replaced my batteries.

I use A-Z for redoing flooring (wood on 45 degree angle), new tv's, valances, toilet and blinds in my previous coach, and they do most maintenance items. Very professional, responsive and reasonably priced.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
This forum might have a section that lists folks like you and also gives feedback on service both positive and negative for those of us that would prefer not to do the work on our RVs. I almost always use feedback from the internet on any purchase or or service. Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Fan View Post
Used one around Christmas. Mr. Mobile RV was recommended by Carpenders Campers in Pensacola, Fl. They did a great job on a Saturday. They came about 45 miles to get to me, Another 20 miles to get converter and 20 miles back to my coach. Installed converter. Checked all electrical in coach. Charged me $451. I was elated. I estimated that a rv dealer would have probably charged $600 to $700 for same repair and checking out systems. You can bet if I have any problems anywhere near them they will be used again.
This is where a "recommended/beware of" list would sure help folks when they need a mobile RV repair. I am in the Pensacola area and I tryed to google "Mr Mobile RV Repair and could not find. Ron
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I have used a mobile RV service (A-Z Mobile RV Paola, KS servicing the Kansas City Metro) for several years. $89 I believe for a service call, divide that by $4 per gallon for diesel, about 22 gals at 6 mpg gives me 133 miles. When I consider distance from my home to storage, storage to service center, service center to home, home to service center, service center to storage, and storage home, that is very reasonable. My time is also worth something. In addition, in the Midwest this time of year I don't winterize my unit (store it in underground limestone cave humidity controlled) so if I take it to a service center I have to be concerned with winterizing the unit if they can't keep it inside. Mobile RV will go to my storage facility and make necessary trips until project lists are completed. They also worked with my old Maintenance Contract Insurance provider.

In addition, if I am traveling and need someone to walk me through steps in order to keep motoring down the road or enjoying my trip, they are more than willing to assist.

I was coming home from Phoenix a few years ago and battery volts were dropping below 9, a call to their 24 hour emergency line on a weekend evening, I received a very quick reply. He suggested taking a matchbook or equivalent and wedge it under the emergency battery switch on the dash, volts immediately went to 13. He suggested I keep the generator running if I stop and wait until I return for them to fix. Made it from New Mexico home with an overnight stop in Amarillo, TX.

January 2013 a mobile RV service guy responded to my situation with no electricity in Breckenridge CO with overnight temperatures -15 F, quickly diagnosed 2 breakers on inverters and replaced my batteries.

I use A-Z for redoing flooring (wood on 45 degree angle), new tv's, valances, toilet and blinds in my previous coach, and they do most maintenance items. Very professional, responsive and reasonably priced.
This guy is fantastic
Just the mob you want on your cross country trips
I have to admit I have used my storage facility, which also has a service centre to get me out of the poo a few times now - no charge.
I've been to CW once for a problem. They didn't fix the problem, they got around it which meant actually fixing the problem was impossible. ( no tail/turn lights. I know it's about the actual tech who works on your coach but it still cost me $350 odd.
So lets have some more RV repair guys that we can all rely on
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use a local RV mobile tech guy here in Tampa. Does a great job, always cleans up, explains the issue and let's you stand and watch if you want. Wouldn't hesitate to use one on the road if recommended by the place we were at.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
This is where a "recommended/beware of" list would sure help folks when they need a mobile RV repair. I am in the Pensacola area and I tryed to google "Mr Mobile RV Repair and could not find. Ron
Sorry for the wrong info. They are actually Mr Mobile Rv Service located in Laurel Hill, Florida. When you google, google the town also. Their tel # is 850-398-6318. Great guys to deal with!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #51

While the title of this thread is "Would you use a mobile RV repair service", the OP is talking about starting his own mobile repair business when he is on the road. His intent would be to service RVers at the campground he's staying at or in the surrounding area.

The great majority those that have responded they would or have used a mobile repair service have used one based in the area they were staying not someone who was there temporarily or just passing through.

While it's a novel idea I would think there would be plenty of obstacles including only being in a given area for a limited (and possibly unknown) amount of time. At best I would think it would be a difficult to sustain this type of business model.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like Gypsy Taxis - I use them when there is no other option and sometimes by mistake, but I try to go with the actual taxi service. Then again, I have received free help through the kindness of strangers. Always try to compensate them but it usual ends up being a beverage or two or maybe dinner out. If the problem is resolved, I guess it doesn't really matter if the mobil service is local or traveling like we are. I would prefer to know that they were going to be there to stand behind their work at least until I'm 350 miles down the road and not the other way around.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #53

I have recently used a mobile repair person. Got honest help and a good rate, will take that anytime over a dealer or CW. If you are good, definitely market your services.
acraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #54

Hand out flyers at the exit to the major highway as RV's pass by heading to the CG, you might be able to get away with it for a little while until a cop comes by, but it;s a way to get your name out
AnimalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #55

I absolutely would use a traveling RV repair dude - if:
  • the price is right.
  • the experience is there.
  • there is a good website with feedback and references you can actually follow up on.
  • before and after pics if you do remodels.
  • and you guarantee your work and/or are insured.
I think a very, very good website would be a requirement in order to pull this off, twitter and facebook and active participation in forums etc until you have a following that welcomes and feels comfortable referring you. I think this would be perfectly doable.

Not sure about licenses, work permits, taxes etc if you are moving from state to state... And you definitely ought to look into liability insurance too...
DogLdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, service