Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Xantrex 458 dead? Or did I mess up battery bank?

About a month ago my wife and I purchased a 2000 Safari Serengeti. It had been sitting for at least a year and a half and was very dusty and dirty, but ran smooth, and looked like it just needed a good cleaning before hitting the road. The first thing I decided to tackle was the battery bank. Four Trojan t105's. There was so much corrosion on them, a couple of terminals I couldn't even see for all of the green. But everything still worked, all outlets, power every where. I took off each wire one at a time cleaned it with terminal cleaner and a wire brush then replaced it before taking off the next one. When I got to the last terminal, the positive wire that goes thru the back of the compartment. I found a wire that looked like it had been melted and disintegrated when I took it off. The wire looked like phone line. I traced it to the inverter and discovered it was the tsc wire, temperature sensor control. After this cleaning I had no 110 power in the front of the coach. I ordered a new sensor and connected it just like it had been. I also looked up the manual to make sure I did it right. I still have no power. The inverter doesn't hum, the fan doesn't come on, no lights, nothing. I reset the breakers and 25amp fuse on the front of the inverter. There is 12v at the terminals going into the inverter but no 110 coming out. The breaker box it goes to in the bedroom closet has no incoming power. Like I said there are no fault lights, it looks dead. Now I am not sure if I did something by cleaning the batteries, or if it just happened to die at the same time. Please help, we want to get on the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Cat

Have you checked with a voltmeter to see if you have voltage to the inverter?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #3

Yes I have 11.6v at the incoming posts from the batteries.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Cat

Why 11.6 VDC ? should be 12.3 and up. We couldn't be the wrong polarity going into the inverter could we? There is some good information on the Xantrex website that makes the Freedom 458. It does have troubleshooting and system operation on it. The voltage being low can cause problems, but I would take a look at the website.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

I am assuming it is at 11.6v because it is not charging the batteries. I have charged the batteries individually when I cleaned them and checked the water and they hold a full charge and test good.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #6

You need to remove the access panel where the 120v wiring runs into and back out of. On the xantrex 458 there is a narrow metal cover at the bottom, facing front, of the inverter, 2 cable clamps, 1 on each side. Carefully sort thru the 120v connections. These connections are generally made with twist-on wire nuts and may or may not have been taped. It is not uncommon for these connections to become corroded badly or loose - which causes excessive heat and eventually melting wires or the wire nuts.

Note: Regardless of incoming DC voltage the Inverter will always "pass-thru" AC power present. I would focus on the inbound and outbound 120vac connections to the inverter as described above.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

It is a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger, model 81-2022-12, date 16 Mar 09. All connections are clean and tight.
Plugged in to shore power I have 112v ac going into and out of the permanently mounted Surge Guard protector. From there 112v ac enters the ESCO power 50 transfer switch and exits the other side and goes up into the floor.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

Try unplugging the cord that looks like a phone cord from the unit and see if it comes on. Not the one that goes to the control panel but the one on the right. When I replaced mine the cord that went to the batterys kept it from working. It made it totally dead.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

i am sure this is not what is going on but for fun i well tell my story

this is when i was working at a RV shop fixing RVs the shop owner had a nice Xantrex inverter that i wanted .. but it did not work ..was pulled from a RV and at that time he seen it working and payed good money for it so he could reseal it latter
this thing set in his stop for years

some one wanted to buy it so we tryed to test it as it was used with 12vdc and it did not work .. so latter i get it from him for parts so i can get it fixed and so a few weeks latter i pulled the cover off it and seen it had been fixed down the road and the wrong cover was installed .. with out making this a very long story it was really a 24Vdc unit
Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Link to owners manual

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf
Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Cat

just one other thought- there are circuit breakers on the inverter but there are also circuit breakers on the regular 100vac panel for your coach that goes to the inverter for the "pass through" have you checked those?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #12

The one that looks like a phone plug (tsc) is the one I had to replace. It was so corroded It fell apart when i sprayed it with cleaner.

Thanks for the link to the manual, I think I have it memorized.

I have 1 circuit breaker panel in the bedroom closet and there is no power going in or out.
I can't help but think I either put something together wrong or I missed something. Everything worked then I took off the cables one by one and cleaned them and now there is no 110 in the front.

If I end up taking this to an rv repair shop what should I expect to pay an hour for them to trace this down?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #13

Did you remove teh lower access panel as I described in my earlier post? I'd bet your issue is in there.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkc10boom View Post
If I end up taking this to an rv repair shop what should I expect to pay an hour for them to trace this down?

My dealerships rate is $120.00 an hour. Have any electrician friends?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, inverter, xantrex