Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Xantrex Failed Again / Options?

Greetings,
About a year ago, my Xantrex RS2000 (I think that's the model number) died and I ended up replacing it with another Xantrex (same model). In the late fall, the Onan generator starting kicking off a 27 error code (PMA Sense issue) and upon taking it to a different local repair facility than handled the initial problem, they diagnosed and replaced the Onan control board. The issue started as the Onan would run fine w/o the coach running but within a minute or two of the coach starting, the Onan would shut off with the above error code. Similarly, if the coach was running and the Onan started with no load, the generator would also stop withing a couple of minutes with the above error code. The only combination that would work was if you had a load on the generator (like running A/C) before starting the MH, everyone would happily co-exist with each other. Anyway, after replacing the Onan control board, the problem still persisted so back to the "new" local repair facility. I've seen a similar issue on another blog spot outlining the same type of issue so I'm not alone. So this time the repair facility has diagnosed the problem as a defective Xantrex (again) as it is putting out "garbage" on the sense lines, the Onan "see's" that something else is supplying power and shuts down and, as a result, they suggest I replace the Xantrex with a Magnum 2012. The Xantrex should still be under warranty though I expect I'd get charged for its removal and re-install after it has been sent to a repair facility. I've been reading that Xantrex doesn't have the best of reputations and am wondering if I should cut my losses, bite the bullet and install the Magnum. So that's where y'all come in. What do you think? Is the Magnum a significantly better unit? Or are there other choices? By continuing to chase a Xantrex repair, am I just spending $'s on a bad solution? Any "gotcha's" that I should be aware of? Any other words of wisdom that you can share with a relative newbie?

Many thanks for your help!
dpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

Our last rig was a DP and we had an early life inverter failure, a remote panel go out and when we upgraded to a residential fridge we replaced the RS2000 with a Magnum 2800PSW. IMHO much better and easier to program/check. BTW, I would definitely go with a PSW model and if you have a good sized battery bank then the 2800. We had 4x8D AGM's which allowed us to use the microwave to heat lunch without the engine or genny running.

We also replaced the Xantrex echo charger when it failed with a Magnum equivalent which also was programmable. If you're interested in more details on the Magnum you can check my posts at An RV Life | Xantrex Digital Echo Charger Failed An RV Life | Magnum Secondary Battery Charger - Learned something today and An RV Life | Residential Refrigerator Upgrade
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

I had the same issues you describe on my coach last year. It looks like we have similar coaches and the same model year. Here is what I went through and the results:

1. Prior to getting the Code 27 on the generator I had pulled the RS2000 inverter and the remote control panel and sent to Xantrex authorized service center in Colorado Springs. They checked it over, updated the software, and gave it a clean bill of health so I reinstalled. That solved an unrelated issue for me and I mention it because when the code 27 error cropped up I was reasonably certain that it wasn't due to the inverter.

2. When I got the code 27 error I took the coach to Cummins and they checked the generator out. First they thought the rotor was bad, then it was the stator. The warranty company got involved and they decided it was just the stator and they replaced it. Took it out for a spin and found out that didn't solve the problem. Nice to have a new stator though.

3. As a last resort they told me they replaced the generator inverter (I didn't know it had one and maybe they meant the control board) but in any event it solved the problem.

Others on this forum have had success by disabling the charger function and load sensing on the RS2000.

I have heard good things about the Magnum inverters, that they are made in America by people that know what they are doing, and that you can get parts for them, unlike Xantrex with the RS2000. I was told by Xantrex that the RS2000 was imported from China and that they are not repairable. That being said though, my RS2000 has been working fine.

Bottom line here is that you might want to get the generator checked out first before you change inverters.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some RV generators are now inverter models like the popular Honda EU series or Yahama EF series... You can tell if yours is such by listening as an air conditioner cuts in.. Put, .... put...... put....... put... put.put.put.put that's an inverter generator

put..put..put..put..PUT..PUT..PUT that's an inverter generator (The puts always come at the same speed)

I have a xantrsex proxine that died young (lost it's mind, That is "Prosine memory error" appeared on the display) When I replaced it I UPGRADED the 12 volt cables by a guage or two. That was five years ago (The motor home is now six years old) and the sum total of problems since = zero.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

The magnum seems to be a popular choice. I opted for an Outback, which seems to be very well made. As I recall the charger on the magnum was higher power than the Outback.
I seldom hear of problems with either Magnum or Outback, but there are a lot more Xantrex inverters in use to break. I certainly wouldn't buy another Xantrex, but in your case it would seem to depend on the value of any remaining warranty.
Changing brands would require a new control panel and battery temp sensor.
dzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would go with the Magnum. When my RS3000 dies I'll replace it with a Magnum MS2812. The Magnum is American made, field serviceable, and excellent quality. The Xantrex is made in China, not field serviceable, and not up to Magnum quality.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I am fed up with Xantrex attitude about parts and repairs. My RV2500 was rebuilt with circuit boards scavenged locally after it fried its brains when only 4 years old. Xantrex no longer supplies parts for that model (2004 vintage) and could care less that that their replacement unit required me to also replace my remote display and autogen start system as well as the inverter. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'll switch to another manufacturer that maybe will treat customers better. Magnum would be my choice, but who knows???
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote