Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a Xantrex RS2000 and added 2 more T-105 6 volt batteries, a total of 4 T-105. Added a sub panel and run everything on the inverter except the fridge. Everything works great.
Marty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I will eventually replace the outside Interstates with AGMs too so charging will be more automatic since I won't have to rememeber to charge the two different banks differently like I will have to for a while.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SteveR,
I think you should consider keeping all the batteries the same. If you forget just one time to switch the charger over from flooded bat to AGM, you will overcharge the AGM's and they are not very forgiving if they get too much voltage. Also, the 4 batteries should be the same brand and age to get max efficiency and life expectancy. I can understand your reluctance to spend the big bucks all at once but it might be wiser to bite the bullet & get 4 AGM's up front. With the price of lead continuing to rise, those batteries will be even more in a year or two.

Duner

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:06 AM   #17

Tp; All re; Inverters,

As you can see by my signature, I am an inverter believer.

The 3,000 watt, true sine wave is the 4th inverter I've had.

As suggested, extra batteries are needed if considering boon-docking, solar panels add to the independence .

As far as how much wattage should you buy, As much as you can afford, remember we have a tendency to add stuff to the rig as time goes by.

To have it and not need it is one thing, but to NEED it and not have it, is poor planning.

Hope this info helps.

===== === Aime====
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #18

I have a Xantrex ProSine 3000 installed in my Damon Challenger. Like so many others I took everything other than the A/Cs off the main panel and intalled a sub panel to power everything from the inverter. Works great. The power actually is smoother than you get from the utility companymost of the time.
Running off a two battery bank of Trojan T105 6V batteries. I really need to add a couple more batteries but am having a hard time finding a place for them. The instructions that come with the inverter specifically say don't put them in the same compartment with this inverter. Not only is this an explosion hazard but the outgassing will eat up the guts of the inverter.
I bought mine refurbished from a dealer in Miami on EBay. Paid around $900 with a 90 day gaurantee. Was a heck of a good deal and the install was reasonably easy if you have the required skills. The refurb was done by Xantex, came in a sealled box with all the required screws and connectors.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Matt,
Use AGM batteries (even 6V GC2 batteries are available as AGMs) and you eliminate the outgassing problems you mentioned. But you can also place the AGMs in other compartments, since they do not require venting like flooded cells do.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:

SteveR,
I think you should consider keeping all the batteries the same. If you forget just one time to switch the charger over from flooded bat to AGM, you will overcharge the AGM's and they are not very forgiving if they get too much voltage. Also, the 4 batteries should be the same brand and age to get max efficiency and life expectancy. I can understand your reluctance to spend the big bucks all at once but it might be wiser to bite the bullet & get 4 AGM's up front. With the price of lead continuing to rise, those batteries will be even more in a year or two.

Duner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya.
I am still debating with myself on going all AGM or going with 2-3 AGM just for the inverter in the same bay and keeping the Interstate wet cells until they crap out then replacing them with AGMs too or going with 4 AGMs now and getting rid of the less than a year old Interstates and having them all the same.

It is a matter of $$$ at this point. I have already spent a ton in the last few months on this rig and addiing another $600 or so to the pot is not going to sit well with DW right now. The AGMs are going to have to wait.

Maybe if I don't water the Interstates I will HAVE to buy new batteries.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:09 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a RS3000 Xantrex inverter and power it with 4 T105's. Wired it directly so it powers everthing in the coach. Also have their, top of the line, remote to control the inverter.

I just make sure I don't run the refrig. on AC when using it. Although I have ran the Microwave for short 2 or 3 minute times, I typically don't. Also have 235 watts of solar panels to recharge while boondocking.

Don't forget the large 300 Amp fuse for the batteries.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a Prosine 2000 inverter in my coach and it easily takes care of everything excepts the A/C's.

I don't see any problem using refurbished units if they are rebuilt by Xantrex

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #23

I boondock a lot and have the Xantrex Freedom 458 Mod Sine wave 3000 watt inverter w/130 charger, six GC batteries, and just over 300 watts of solar, 0000 battery cables, and (best of all) the Link 1000 Monitor/controller for the inverter. I wish I had gotten the 2500 watt inverter w/100 amp charger. 110 amps is about the most the the batteries would take, even when low, and then not for long. 2500 would been quite enough for me.

Harold

'01 Nat'l RV, Tropical 33' Ford V10
H. Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I've installed a Xantrex RS2000 inverter in my last coach and now have put an RS3000 in this coach. Normally the RS2000 will power everything that is of importance. You won't power the A/C units and there's no need to run the fridge or electric water heater element because they can be run on propane. On my 42QRP I went with the RS3000 though because I have a residential Amana refrigerator and it came with (8) AGM batteries so the 3KW inverter was more in line. If you don't have a residential fridge, a 2KW inverter willo do just fine. Details of my installaion, includig pics are on my site at This Link if you're interested.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should still be careful about putting AGM anywhere else other than an approved and vented compartment. Yes, they don't need to be vented. But the Motorhome Association still advises against it for a the good simple reason. You may own your motor home for 5 years or less before you sell or trade up (or down), and it could be to a private party. That party may change out the AGMs for whatever reasons to acid batteries. What do you think may happen?

This can be far fetched, but it can happen.

YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote