Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #1

I have a 2004 Allegro 32 BA. What size inverters do you guys and gals have hard wired in to your coaches. Is there anything that you would have done differently such as size of inverter, true sine or modified, extra batteries. Please chime in with your thoughts as I'm about ready to buy one. What do you think of the refurbished units as well?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #2

I have a 2004 Allegro 32 BA. What size inverters do you guys and gals have hard wired in to your coaches. Is there anything that you would have done differently such as size of inverter, true sine or modified, extra batteries. Please chime in with your thoughts as I'm about ready to buy one. What do you think of the refurbished units as well?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I moved this topic to this board in hopes of getting you some answers. ED
Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
True Sine for sure. Also, I have a 2000 watt. Would like a 3000 wat. However, to take advantage of it, I think you'll have to wire additional things into it.

Don't know anything about refurbished.

Peter (LugNut) among others have been posting a lot on this lately.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
http://www.rvcruzer.com/RS3000.htm

The link should give some answers if you have a inverter now it may only supply your TV. If you upgrade may have to put in heavier wireing add batteries and solar panels.
Good luck with your project.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
I moved this topic to this board in hopes of getting you some answers. ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ed. I did get some responses from the move.

Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Several manufacturers are making the transition to the "true sine wave" inverters,given the research that has shown the "modified" sine wave does in fact damage electrical appliances over a period of time.

Even if it meant a wiring upgrade to accomplish it, I would move to the 3000 TRUE sine wave unit.

Also....if you're going to be boondocking a bit and want to add batteries, I would consider the AGM Lifeline batteries as well.

Just ask....we can think of LOTS of ways to spend your money.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #8

I have installed many inverters on boats. the questiom is what will you run off the inverter? Add up wattage used, to find size needed. The amount of time and appliances you will be using will determine the battery needed. True sine wave are good for sensitive electronics like computers.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #9

I'll be using a Satellite dish, TV, Coffee Maker. That's about it. I have 2 6v batteries in the coach now and there is no more room for more. Any ideas on what size i should get.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I'm certainly no expert, but I installed a 500w continuous(modified sine wave) in my unit. It is a cobra unit I have had for a lot of years. I normally use it with gel-cells when I'm running computers(incl laptops) and amateur radios, and I have never had a problem with it. I wouldn't use it for any normal appliance, but since my laptops have their own power conversion, I plan to use mine for running radio's, cube chargers(cell phone), laptop and gps operations. No problems in the past, and don't expect it will be any different in the unit. Yup, I agree on true sine wave if you're using appliances that need it, but otherwise it's not necessary.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #11

Most satalite dishes use about 300-400w, small TVs 400w, coffee maker around 1200w. If all were on at same time you would be using 2000w. Good condition deep cycle batteries will run TV for quite a long time. Coffee maker will drain batterys if hot plate is on.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #12

Ok great!!! That's good solid info. I'll get no less than 2000 watt. Anybody using a rebuilt inverter?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dnebout:
I'll be using a Satellite dish, TV, Coffee Maker. That's about it. I have 2 6v batteries in the coach now and there is no more room for more. Any ideas on what size i should get. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an Allegro 31DA, also a 2004 model as yours is. I installed a 600 Watt Xantex inverter in the forward curbside compartment right next to the battery compartment under the steps. I only power the TV, Satellite dish, and DVD player from it, no coffee maker. I wired the circuit that is overhead where the TV etc receive power, so that it can be switched either to inverter or line power. Works real well with only the two 6V that came with the RV.
I have the Panasonic 25 inch TV (220 watts, Directv box, Hughes (120 watts), and the Panasonic DVD player that also came with the unit,(90 watts).The inverter is modified sine wave, and all works well.
We either use the generator, or use Perculator on the stove for coffee when boondocking.

Works for us.

Dieselclacker
Old 03-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #14

I have a Xantrex RS3000; 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter that I am in the process of installing. I plan on having it power all the outlet since I have stuff all over the coach I want to run with it. I also want the power control-monitoring feature provided with this inverter to help protect the coach from under power or noisy power from campgrounds.

I am planning on adding a second bank of batteries to supplement the 2 12volts I now have. I plan on AGMs so I can store them under the couch and not have to put them in a outside vented compartment. With the RS3000 controlled charging system I should not have any issues with outgassing so they should be fine "inside" the coach. I will eventually replace the outside Interstates with AGMs too so charging will be more automatic since I won't have to rememeber to charge the two different banks differently like I will have to for a while.