Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Xantrex issue

I have had an intermittent problem with my inverter and need to bounce some ideas off you guys.

Spent a week on shore power with the inverter enabled and had no issues. Everything worked fine. When leaving I turned off roof airs and disconnected from shore power, waited for a few minutes and fired up generator. (Did not disable inverter). Restarted roof airs and they both ran fine and off we went with the genny running the whole day. Stopped for the night at Wally World, roof airs running, and in the middle of the night got the low battery alarm on the house battery's. No AC in light on the panel. Packed up and left and somewhere along the bouncy road I got my AC in back.

Have had Xantrex unit back to factory service twice now and both times checked out fine. Installed new all new batteries this spring, house and chassis. Had generator serviced and checked last year and it's running fine as evidenced that both roof airs ran fine.

Called Xantrex and they told me that the normal position for the relay (transfer switch) in the inverter is to the battery side. AC in causes it to shift.

I'm thinking I've got a weak relay such that if the inverter is enabled it's able to hold that relay in place even when AC shows up. Unfortunately it happens randomly so that I can't prove it's failed to the warranty company.

What you guys think? Does this seem logical to you? Any other ideas? Any work around you can think of?

Bob Adams
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp Allison Xantrex RS2000 Onan Aqua Hot CRV
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
When you are on shore power or have the generator supplying power, the inverter should be "charging" the battery bank. If not, (and you do not have a remote panel that allows you to turn charging OFF) and check to be sure that it is charging or that the inverter has 120 vac coming in. If it has 120 vac in and is not charging, I would agree that the problem could be an intermittent relay.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to consider... I'm fond of saying that many RVers have a few screws loose.

Now,, Lots of folks come back with "Quite a few" but in truth, I mean real screws, metal screws, not Mental screws, that's not my department.

When My rig was new I had intermittent operation of the air conditioners, Sometimes they just flat would not work.

Finally I removed the cover from the breaker box (one day when I was NOT plugged in) and tightened things down.. One screw took 2 and 1/2 full turns before it became snug.

My advice: Check all connections, You may have a screw loose somewhere, or a wire nut (Had that problem specifically on the Xantrex itself)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2004 model Xantrex 2000 watt inverter/charger. With a Link 1000 remote panel/display.

The inverter mode is never used by us unless we are dry camped and need to use the microwave. (And don't want to fire up the generator). We have 6 ea. golf cart batteries for the inverter to use.

We have "power sharing" feature which means we can run shore power and generator at the same time, to charge batteries, but we have not run the microwave in the inverter mode, while this is going on.
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
here is my braindead question but a question is never stupid if u don't ask i got a 1993 fleetwwood pace arrow 1 starter battery 2 nautilus or deep cycle batteries i got a xantrex freedom hf 1000 watt inverter/charger does that yellow utility light ever go green i had my mh run 2 hrs prob that helped on low battery e01 or e05 error
rvsneeby is offline   Reply With Quote